+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IELTS Deaf exempted from Speaking and Listening

hopenangst

Sep 20, 2017
Hello Folks, I'm Deaf (not mute) from India and I have been contacting British Council back and forth for exempting my listening section only - I'm profoundly deaf and no hearing aids or assistive devices can help me with the Listening section. And I also requested they type in the conversation while Speaking which they cannot accommodate so I have now been exempted from both Listening and Speaking sections. They asked me to book a date next month which I did but I'm now wondering how I would be scored on my exempted sections. Because these scores greatly affect my score, how would CIC consider my scores? Anyone who had a prior experience. Please help. I also talked with BC again asking how they would score on the exempted sections but there is no proper response from them.

Reactions: Waheed zaman

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/language-testing.asp

Averaging your language score: for people with a physical or mental disability
If you aren’t able to complete one or more sections of your language test because of a disability, you must:

The Comprehensive Ranking System – Language calculator isn’t the same as the Comprehensive Ranking System tool.

Reactions: iamhammad

hopenangst

Sep 20, 2017
Thank you scylla. Since I'm going with all this on my own, how can I let CIC know that 2 of those scores were not tested?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Did you read through the information on the calculator tool link?

"If we invite you to apply for permanent residence, you must provide documents that support your request for averaged scoring based on disability."

hopenangst

Sep 20, 2017
Yes I did, since this is only a calculator to find my average score, I was wondering if there is something that specifically asks if I were exempted from these sections.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Yes I did, since this is only a calculator to find my average score, I was wondering if there is something that specifically asks if I were exempted from these sections.
As the website says, your test will have an observation stating which sections you were exempted from and why. You then need to include proof, such as a medical certificate, of your disability.

Your test must include the following observation :

• Due to … difficulties, this candidate was exempt from the … test. The … bandscores have been notionalized on the basis of the average of the other bandscores.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Ok thank you. Will it anyway affect my chances of getting my PR?
The IELTS bit won't. The only piece that might impact your application is if you rely on social services (e.g. therapists) or have to use health care services extensively.

hopenangst

Sep 20, 2017
The IELTS bit won't. The only piece that might impact your application is if you rely on social services (e.g. therapists) or have to use health care services extensively.[/QUOTE}

Thank you again! That's a good relief because my condition does not rely on medical services or therapy.

hopenangst

Sep 20, 2017
I got my IELTS results for 2 sections. While using the link to find if I'm eligible to apply, (http://www.cic.gc.ca/ctc-vac/ee-start.asp), it is asking me to input scores separately for each section (there are no range options - only specific score) while the tool (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/language-tool.asp) gives my Speaking and Listening averages as below in ranges:

• Speaking: 7.5 - 9.0
  • Listening: 8.5 - 9.0
  • Reading: 8.0 - 9.0
  • Writing: 7.0

Note that I only took Reading and writing. What score should I input on Listening on speaking based on this?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I got my IELTS results for 2 sections. While using the link to find if I'm eligible to apply, (http://www.cic.gc.ca/ctc-vac/ee-start.asp), it is asking me to input scores separately for each section (there are no range options - only specific score) while the tool (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/language-tool.asp) gives my Speaking and Listening averages as below in ranges:

• Speaking: 7.5 - 9.0
  • Listening: 8.5 - 9.0
  • Reading: 8.0 - 9.0
  • Writing: 7.0

Note that I only took Reading and writing. What score should I input on Listening on speaking based on this?
I would input the lower end of the range.

hopenangst

Sep 20, 2017
Scylla, I got my IELTS scores - I have scores on my exempted sections as well -

Reading: 8
Writing: 7.5

Speaking and Listening sections were exempted but I was provided a notionalized score of 7.5 in each of these sections. However The CIC calculator provides me different scores for exempted sections. What do I use in my express entry profile?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Scylla, I got my IELTS scores - I have scores on my exempted sections as well -

Reading: 8
Writing: 7.5

Speaking and Listening sections were exempted but I was provided a notionalized score of 7.5 in each of these sections. However The CIC calculator provides me different scores for exempted sections. What do I use in my express entry profile?
I would use the scores from the tool, as IRCC states pretty specifically on that page to use it. I suggest you print out that page showing your calculated averages and include it in your app with your IELTS results.

fari021

Jul 11, 2018
Hello Folks, I'm Deaf (not mute) from India and I have been contacting British Council back and forth for exempting my listening section only - I'm profoundly deaf and no hearing aids or assistive devices can help me with the Listening section. And I also requested they type in the conversation while Speaking which they cannot accommodate so I have now been exempted from both Listening and Speaking sections. They asked me to book a date next month which I did but I'm now wondering how I would be scored on my exempted sections. Because these scores greatly affect my score, how would CIC consider my scores? Anyone who had a prior experience. Please help. I also talked with BC again asking how they would score on the exempted sections but there is no proper response from them.
I want to ask you about Medical.Will Your listening inadmissiblity affect your medical report?
http://usa.inquirer.net/11755/canada-immigration-tweaks-medical-inadmissibility-rule-disabled