IELTS British Council- 28th october

maplenow

Star Member
Oct 10, 2017
Some were
Strawberries because they were appealing
Dave was tensed because lack of kbowledge
Anyone remember answer to question how many varieties do they need
I got these wrong..others were as suggested earlier..very eagerly waiting for the test results.

maplenow

Star Member
Oct 10, 2017
Anyone knows the authentic grading scale for GT listening? How many questions do you need to get right to get an 8 is listening?

bibinpanicker

Star Member
Jun 30, 2017
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
Had my test in Canada today. I believe I did the listening, reading tests well... the writing section is the one I am expecting to score lower compared to the other sections... The speaking section was also not bad...

section 1 of writing was to write a letter to the leader of a group of business visitors, who came to your place of work, to let them know of a coat you found. Write
- why you enjoyed their visit
-why you think it is their coat
- suggest when you can return the coat

The question for section 2 was
“ Some people think that Learning to play a musical instrument is a waste of time. However, some think there are many benefits.”
Discuss both views and give your opinion..

@Gary_guru... thank you for your help... I used the resources that you had pointed out in this thread... they were really useful... the only reason I couldn’t do well in writing was lack of practice... will let you know the result when it’s out on the 10th of Nov

tuhadapeo

Jul 20, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal -> Vancouver
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04-12-2018
AOR Received.
04-12-2018
Med's Done....
14-01-2019
Anyone knows the authentic grading scale for GT listening? How many questions do you need to get right to get an 8 is listening?
I think it’s 37

tuhadapeo

Jul 20, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal -> Vancouver
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04-12-2018
AOR Received.
04-12-2018
Med's Done....
14-01-2019
Had my test in Canada today. I believe I did the listening, reading tests well... the writing section is the one I am expecting to score lower compared to the other sections... The speaking section was also not bad...

section 1 of writing was to write a letter to the leader of a group of business visitors, who came to your place of work, to let them know of a coat you found. Write
- why you enjoyed their visit
-why you think it is their coat
- suggest when you can return the coat

The question for section 2 was
“ Some people think that Learning to play a musical instrument is a waste of time. However, some think there are many benefits.”
Discuss both views and give your opinion..

@Gary_guru... thank you for your help... I used the resources that you had pointed out in this thread... they were really useful... the only reason I couldn’t do well in writing was lack of practice... will let you know the result when it’s out on the 10th of Nov
Could you share answers from the listening questions where Elinor was complaining about issues at the flat. The ones where you had to pick an alphabet from three answers provided. I was super distracted and also the recording used a lot of paraphrasing. I won’t get band 8 if I screwed those up.

bibinpanicker

Star Member
Jun 30, 2017
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
Could you share answers from the listening questions where Elinor was complaining about issues at the flat. The ones where you had to pick an alphabet from three answers provided. I was super distracted and also the recording used a lot of paraphrasing. I won’t get band 8 if I screwed those up.
I think the first one was where the bathroom had a broken lock

Next was where the agent asked to check the electricity after the washing machine was fixed.

The next one was the agent asking to have the heating system checked.

I don’t remember the last one... don’t rely on my answers.. wait for the result... be positive and hope for the best...

Reactions: tuhadapeo

tuhadapeo

Jul 20, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal -> Vancouver
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04-12-2018
AOR Received.
04-12-2018
Med's Done....
14-01-2019

Next was where the agent asked to check the electricity after the washing machine was fixed.

I don’t remember the last one... don’t rely on my answers.. wait for the result... be positive and hope for the best...
Thanks. Those do seem like the right answers, well atleast that’s what I chose. I think the last one was related to the hallway, options were with paint, glue or carpet. If I remember right I chose carpet, but I briefly remember her talking about glue.

BTSDNA

Star Member
Oct 1, 2017
Thanks. Those do seem like the right answers, well atleast that’s what I chose. I think the last one was related to the hallway, options were with paint, glue or carpet. If I remember right I chose carpet, but I briefly remember her talking about glue.

I had the same exam... Everything was super easy IMO but the listening part... I tend to get fixated in one question and stop listening.

Part 1
Cousin
Mobile
Service manager
Private company
Agreement
B window lock
A washing machine
A (i think) check heating
C carpet
Part 2
Cabin key
Booking form
Comment card
Bill
Room service
11:30 pm
C legal formalities
B stay in public areas
B people who leave for plane
C Phone to Customs officer
Part 3
rich tourists and only travel once
underdeveloped infrastructure and lack of accommodation
Iceland landscape features?
Norway all season
Canada sports
Russia unspoiled landscape(D)
Sweden tradition
Alaska access
Part 4
Warm?
Coast
Shell
Scientists
Predators
Engineer
Economy
South
Winter
Nets

I think my reading was close to perfection... except for the part where it said elderly citizens MUST live there, i've put true

Last edited:

bibinpanicker

Star Member
Jun 30, 2017
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
That’s right. the problem was with the carpet...

Fingers crossed for the result.

tuhadapeo

Jul 20, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal -> Vancouver
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04-12-2018
AOR Received.
04-12-2018
Med's Done....
14-01-2019
I had the same exam... Everything was super easy IMO but the listening part... I tend to get fixated in one question and stop listening.

Part 1
Cousin
Mobile
Service manager
Private company
Agreement
B window lock
A washing machine
A (i think) check heating
C carpet
Part 2
Cabin key
Booking form
Comment card
Bill
Room service
11:30 pm
C legal formalities
B stay in public areas
B people who leave for plane
C Phone to Customs officer
Part 3
rich tourists and only travel once
underdeveloped infrastructure and lack of accommodation
Iceland landscape features?
Norway all season
Canada sports
Russia unspoiled landscape(D)
Sweden tradition
Alaska access
Part 4
Warm?
Coast
Shell
Scientists
Predators
Engineer
Economy
South
Winter
Nets

I think my reading was close to perfection... except for the part where it said elderly citizens MUST live there, i've put true
Thanks for sharing. I think we have similar if not identical answers for listening. I just don’t recall all of my answers.

However, for reading I chose TRUE as well for elderly receiving a discount on bus tickets who live in Cornwell.

BTSDNA

Star Member
Oct 1, 2017
Thanks for sharing. I think we have similar if not identical answers for listening. I just don’t recall all of my answers.

However, for reading I chose TRUE as well for elderly receiving a discount on bus tickets who live in Cornwell.
That's what I hated about it, the ambiguous choice questions. The text said Cornwell residents, so I assumed they had to live there. In any case, I'm not worried about it except for the listening. I think I have screwed up massively on the polar tourism section.

tuhadapeo

Jul 20, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal -> Vancouver
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04-12-2018
AOR Received.
04-12-2018
Med's Done....
14-01-2019
Can anyone confirm what did they treat the letter as for the writing task 1? Formal or semi-formal?