+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IELTS British Council- 28th october

Gary_guru

Sep 15, 2017
Hi Everyone,

Setting up a thread for people attempting for IELTS on 28th October. Lets help each other to pass through the test.

Will share some of my learning and link but please feel free to add/amend as a new comer or Senior.

Many Thanks ! All the very best to everyone.

Let me know if a Whatsapp group is feasible.

Thanks !

Gary

bibinpanicker

Star Member
Jun 30, 2017
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
Hi Everyone,

Setting up a thread for people attempting for IELTS on 28th October. Lets help each other to pass through the test.

Will share some of my learning and link but please feel free to add/amend as a new comer or Senior.

Many Thanks ! All the very best to everyone.

Let me know if a Whatsapp group is feasible.

Thanks !

Gary
Hi Gary,

I am attempting the IELTS GT on 28th October.

Thanks.

bibinpanicker

Star Member
Jun 30, 2017
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
All the best @Yuvraj Singh!! What materials did you use for your preparation? Please share information /material that you have found useful.

This is my first attempt and I am trying to understand and get accustomed to the sections for each competency. I am yet to start doing practice tests. Hope all goes well.

Gary_guru

Sep 15, 2017
This would be my second attempt:

In my previous attempt i did some homework and probably that was why I was able to score 7.5 but got hit on Listening part. Since I am applying through EE, I needed 8,7,7,7.(L,R,S,W)

I used much of the stuff from online and practised through books as well ( and let me tell you practising reading through books gives you a practical exposure which online would not. The point I am trying to make here is since the test would be with hard copies, there is no point practising it online becoz there are lot many things you might want to test yourself on along with reading(some tricks, screening, skimming etc).

I started my prep almost 20 days ago and focused mostly on Reading & listening at first since they seem bit tricky to me.

For Listening & Reading : Though there were many practice tests given in the books but there is certainly some additional homework that you may want to do so I searched much of that online as well. Sharing some useful websites, apps below:

Websites:

The websites contains lot of material for practising everything including tips and tricks.

http://ielts-up.com/listening/ielts-listening-practice.html
http://www.ielts-mentor.com/listening-sample/208-ielts-listening-sample-1

You Tube:
Both the channels are worth following since the speakers are very experienced and specific about requirements, do's & dont's including last days tips(dont miss them)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVBErcpqaokOf4fI5j73K_w
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=liz+ielts+

Apps:
Specifically for listening, on the go material, put your headphones on and practice.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ubl.ielts
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=hk.hkbc.epodcast

Though I have mentioned about very useful websites, apps and YouTube channels, if you want, you may also consider purchasing some books and going through that. When i was attempting the first time, I never got any insight of the books in any posts here or elsewhere, however many of them were mentioned.

Apart from your BC/IDP books, you may want to consider buying BARRON's and book by Pauline Cullen- Cambridge English

One thing about Barrons is it gives a breakdown of the sub sections of all tests(L,R,S,W) which is of great help. I haven't seen in any other book

Speaking:

Most of the material from practise standpoint is available either in books or online in the same links as mentioned above but what is more important is, when you prepare and general topic- Tourism, values in families etc, prepare against the motion and in the motion as well. You may get some topic which you have prepared well but will have to speak against the motion. Like, I was asked about Tourism but was asked to speak about places where tourist would not want to go and i was Blank for 2 seconds and had to cook up a story.

Q Card: Make sure you answer all questions mentioned at first else you will skip and time will run like a anything.

Also, if you are working and deal with US, UK geography people or if you are Regional person but use 100% English at your work place, you will be able to get through this. Its Just cooking up story, making sense but being confident.

Writing:

Task 1: Here you will get a letter, formal, informal which is like good to attempt in 20 mins given but take care of the structure and grammar along with salutation, ending.

Task 2: A general topic to write and essay on within the word limit. Again, be specific, Introduce the topic at first, make sure use paragraphs and CONCLUDE for sure. You may find some topics wherein you may want to write against the motion or for the motion but make your stand very clear and when you conclude, make sure it is matching with the introduction you gave (thats a trick).

You have options to write with pen or pencil, i preferred pencil since it gave me opportunities to make correction, when i was finally checking and could correct lot of grammatical mistakes

Scores: I am sure you would know what scores you need ( not talking about bands but scores for each section which concludes to marks, if NOT, please do check online.

Some Useful Tips:

- If there is a requirement to have the IELTS scores for your spouse as well, would suggest to book test for same date and practise along. Its a GREAT help for each other.
- For Listening & reading, in your final week of test, practice more on getting first 20 questions correct, this will help you to put your strategies in right direction on final day
-
Fix your time for preparation, which part of the day you see if fine.
- Get accustomed to the time limit as well when you practice, example, when you practice listening, take one complete test at once and monitor your time. it will help.
- Watch BBC, CNN if you want to practice listening

- For speaking and writing, would suggest to practice on BRAINSTORMING the topics not actually writing the whole thing(if you really need a practice, you may want to write the entire thing. Again, its about putting your strategy, you have bullet points collected through brainstorming, you just need to expand those.

Hope this post is helpful. Please feel free to add/comment on any changes. All the best to Everyone !

Regards
Gary

Gary_guru

Sep 15, 2017
All the best @Yuvraj Singh!! What materials did you use for your preparation? Please share information /material that you have found useful.

This is my first attempt and I am trying to understand and get accustomed to the sections for each competency. I am yet to start doing practice tests. Hope all goes well.
Hi Yuvraj, please follow the post.

bibinpanicker

Star Member
Jun 30, 2017
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
This would be my second attempt:

In my previous attempt i did some homework and probably that was why I was able to score 7.5 but got hit on Listening part. Since I am applying through EE, I needed 8,7,7,7.(L,R,S,W)

I used much of the stuff from online and practised through books as well ( and let me tell you practising reading through books gives you a practical exposure which online would not. The point I am trying to make here is since the test would be with hard copies, there is no point practising it online becoz there are lot many things you might want to test yourself on along with reading(some tricks, screening, skimming etc).

I started my prep almost 20 days ago and focused mostly on Reading & listening at first since they seem bit tricky to me.

For Listening & Reading : Though there were many practice tests given in the books but there is certainly some additional homework that you may want to do so I searched much of that online as well. Sharing some useful websites, apps below:

Websites:

The websites contains lot of material for practising everything including tips and tricks.

http://ielts-up.com/listening/ielts-listening-practice.html
http://www.ielts-mentor.com/listening-sample/208-ielts-listening-sample-1

You Tube:
Both the channels are worth following since the speakers are very experienced and specific about requirements, do's & dont's including last days tips(dont miss them)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVBErcpqaokOf4fI5j73K_w
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=liz+ielts+

Apps:
Specifically for listening, on the go material, put your headphones on and practice.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ubl.ielts
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=hk.hkbc.epodcast

Though I have mentioned about very useful websites, apps and YouTube channels, if you want, you may also consider purchasing some books and going through that. When i was attempting the first time, I never got any insight of the books in any posts here or elsewhere, however many of them were mentioned.

Apart from your BC/IDP books, you may want to consider buying BARRON's and book by Pauline Cullen- Cambridge English

One thing about Barrons is it gives a breakdown of the sub sections of all tests(L,R,S,W) which is of great help. I haven't seen in any other book

Speaking:

Most of the material from practise standpoint is available either in books or online in the same links as mentioned above but what is more important is, when you prepare and general topic- Tourism, values in families etc, prepare against the motion and in the motion as well. You may get some topic which you have prepared well but will have to speak against the motion. Like, I was asked about Tourism but was asked to speak about places where tourist would not want to go and i was Blank for 2 seconds and had to cook up a story.

Q Card: Make sure you answer all questions mentioned at first else you will skip and time will run like a anything.

Also, if you are working and deal with US, UK geography people or if you are Regional person but use 100% English at your work place, you will be able to get through this. Its Just cooking up story, making sense but being confident.

Writing:

Task 1: Here you will get a letter, formal, informal which is like good to attempt in 20 mins given but take care of the structure and grammar along with salutation, ending.

Task 2: A general topic to write and essay on within the word limit. Again, be specific, Introduce the topic at first, make sure use paragraphs and CONCLUDE for sure. You may find some topics wherein you may want to write against the motion or for the motion but make your stand very clear and when you conclude, make sure it is matching with the introduction you gave (thats a trick).

You have options to write with pen or pencil, i preferred pencil since it gave me opportunities to make correction, when i was finally checking and could correct lot of grammatical mistakes

Scores: I am sure you would know what scores you need ( not talking about bands but scores for each section which concludes to marks, if NOT, please do check online.

Some Useful Tips:

- If there is a requirement to have the IELTS scores for your spouse as well, would suggest to book test for same date and practise along. Its a GREAT help for each other.
- For Listening & reading, in your final week of test, practice more on getting first 20 questions correct, this will help you to put your strategies in right direction on final day
-
Fix your time for preparation, which part of the day you see if fine.
- Get accustomed to the time limit as well when you practice, example, when you practice listening, take one complete test at once and monitor your time. it will help.
- Watch BBC, CNN if you want to practice listening

- For speaking and writing, would suggest to practice on BRAINSTORMING the topics not actually writing the whole thing(if you really need a practice, you may want to write the entire thing. Again, its about putting your strategy, you have bullet points collected through brainstorming, you just need to expand those.

Hope this post is helpful. Please feel free to add/comment on any changes. All the best to Everyone !

Regards
Gary

Thanks @Gary_guru !! I really appreciate the time and effort you have taken to share these valuable tips. I will do my best to use them. All the best mate.

lea1311

Oct 3, 2017
I will also take the test on 28 Oct, this is my 1st attempt. My target is also the same as you @Gary_guru (8 7 7 7). Most difficult parts for me are listening and writing. I'm about getting there but may need lucks.

Wish you guys all the best.

Cheers,

Yuvraj Singh

Star Member
Sep 1, 2017
India
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
24-10-2018

Do not panic during exam, calmness is the key. the format will be LRW followed by Speaking (before or after LRW)...practice as much as you can.....use Cambridge books (general tests) and IELTS on track for practice.....check on ieltsviz.com, I have heard that it is a good site for practice....best of luck...

bibinpanicker

Star Member
Jun 30, 2017
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
Do not panic during exam, calmness is the key. the format will be LRW followed by Speaking (before or after LRW)...practice as much as you can.....use Cambridge books (general tests) and IELTS on track for practice.....check on ieltsviz.com, I have heard that it is a good site for practice....best of luck...
Thanks for the advice @Yuvraj Singh. I have found and attempted Listening questions from YouTube, however I do not know how good they are.

I will be concentrating on Reading for the next couple of days. I seem to give the wrong answer when it comes to T/F/NG many a time. ieltsliz.com provides good tips and its even better that others are contributing by sharing recent questions.

I will be appearing in a center in Mississauga, Canada.

vinay_Dec

Feb 18, 2017
Hello Friends,
I am Vinay Ahuja from Pune India.
I am new here and planning to take my test in mid November. I would like to gain some experience from the seniors who already given this exam.
Could you please add me in your whatsapp group. My detail
Vinay Ahuja
91 9881735875