+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IELTs advice - IELTs about to expire, but will submit application for PR soon

miss_mp

Star Member
Nov 15, 2013
Hi,
just wondered if anyone can advise on the validity of IELTS certificate? I know its 2 years, but wondered if it's 2 years from the date in which you sat the test or the date in which the certificate was issued? I was thinking it must the the date in which its issued, which makes more sense, but at the top is says:
It is recommended that the candidate's language ability as indicated in this Test Report Form to be re-assessed after two from the date of the test.
Just wondered if anyone can confirm?

Also if you retake the test, say 3 weeks before they're due to expire, and your certificate runs out before you receive your results, then do you automatically and immediately lose points on your score as soon as this lapses, or is there some short period of time in which you may be allowed to have before updating this.

I've just received an ITA and will submit my application before it expires at the start of Feb next year, which makes my IELTs still valid at the point of submitting an online application - I know the time between submitting and my IELTS expiring will be tight. But then I read on CIC website that they can ask you to submit the original certificate later when they process your application. I don't think they'll get round to doing this before my IELTs expires in Feb 2016, but then if I don't renew it, then it means my I would be producing an expired certificate by the time they do ask for the original. They say that if your IELTs is about to expire, that you should retake the test, and that IELTs need to be valid during this process - are they referring to entry onto the pool up till you submit an application for PR, or does it need to be valid till they process/acknowledge your application is complete? And so, do i still need to resit it if I submit my PR application before it expires - I'm planning on submitting within the next two or three weeks, but my IELTs expires in Feb 2016 next year.
Thanks in advance.

Russian

May 14, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
miss_mp said:
Hi,
just wondered if anyone can advise on the validity of IELTS certificate? I know its 2 years, but wondered if it's 2 years from the date in which you sat the test or the date in which the certificate was issued? I was thinking it must the the date in which its issued, which makes more sense, but at the top is says:
It is recommended that the candidate's language ability as indicated in this Test Report Form to be re-assessed after two from the date of the test.

Also if you retake the test, say 3 weeks before they're due to expire, and your certificate runs out before you receive your results, then do you automatically and immediately lose points on your score as soon as this lapses, or is there some short period of time in which you may be allowed to have before updating this.

I've just received an ITA and will submit my application before it expires at the start of Feb next year, which makes my IELTs still valid at the point of submitting an online application - I know the time between submitting and my IELTS expiring will be tight. But then I read on CIC website that they can ask you to submit the original certificate later when they process your application. I don't think they'll get round to doing this before my IELTs expires in Feb 2016, but then if I don't renew it, then it means my I would be producing an expired certificate by the time they do ask for the original. They say that if your IELTs is about to expire, that you should retake the test, and that IELTs need to be valid during this process - are they referring to entry onto the pool up till you submit an application for PR, or does it need to be valid till they process/acknowledge your application is complete? And so, do i still need to resit it if I submit my PR application before it expires - I'm planning on submitting within the next two or three weeks, but my IELTs expires in Feb 2016 next year.
Thanks in advance.
You need to have your valid certificate when you submit your PR application.

How long language test results are valid for
Your test results must be less than two years old when you submit your application for permanent residence.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/language.asp

miss_mp

Star Member
Nov 15, 2013
Thanks for this Russian. I will submit my application in the next two weeks, so before my IELTs expire in February next year. So it's still accepted if its valid at point of submission, but possibly expired by the time they process the application ?

miss_mp

Star Member
Nov 15, 2013
That's great ;D Will I have to have received an AOR from them before Feb 2016 to confirm it's been submitted in time?

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
miss_mp said:
That's great ;D Will I have to have received an AOR from them before Feb 2016 to confirm it's been submitted in time?
Under EE, confirmation of submission is called e-APR. If you receive that document in your MyCIC before your IELTS validity expires, you are safe. e-APR typically arrives in MyCIC mailbox within minutes to 24 hours of application submission.

miss_mp

Star Member
Nov 15, 2013
I see, that's great, thanks for that information. :D
After stressing about the IELTS, I've just realised that my checklist for supporting documents doesn't actually say I need to submit my language test results. But i've also noticed that my checklist hasn't displayed my work history correctly either. I know it does say on CIC that language tests need to be submitted for FSW category - is this an error on my checklist?

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
miss_mp said:
I see, that's great, thanks for that information. :D
After stressing about the IELTS, I've just realised that my checklist for supporting documents doesn't actually say I need to submit my language test results. But i've also noticed that my checklist hasn't displayed my work history correctly either. I know it does say on CIC that language tests need to be submitted for FSW category - is this an error on my checklist?
Not an error. CIC can track IELTS using the TRF provided by the applicant so one doesn't really need to upload IELTS report anywhere.

vid_west

Star Member
Apr 30, 2017
Oh I see, thanks for explaining that, Aslvad Anac :D
Hi,

Thanks in advance.

I was wondering what the outcome of your application was? Did you submit another valid IELTS result? or was it approved?

Would really appreciate your reply since i am facing a similar situation!

Thanks in advance :)