+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IELTS 6 April 2019(General Training only): Let’s connect here guys

Mandeep1989

Oct 23, 2017
Good question, I also thought about it. In my opinion, it's definitely semi formal.
I don't think you can write like to a friend.
At the end I wrote: looking forward to hearing from to, best regards, and indicated only my name(without surname). I suppose it's correct because colleague is a person you know but it's not your friend.
Dnt be too technical
Just answer whatever they asked
Sorry for that but u will lose marks in tr
There is a little difference between a semi and a formal letter
But these is a lot of difference between a informal and other two
Use common sense mate , u can’t say anything about ur life in a semi or formal
Could you ?

Mandeep1989

Oct 23, 2017
Dnt be too technical
Could you ?
Don’t confuse others

alwezali

Star Member
Mar 2, 2019
Can anybody share the listening answers about coal mining museum map and slow cloth fashion matching
Was the lift entrance "F" which was in circle?
And I also wrote easy to clean in matching instead of not made good.
Please clarify this 3 map and 6 match answers
Hey i have done the same things as you said.
Wriiten F in map and easy to clean in match the the description

Defender90

Star Member
Apr 6, 2019
Dnt be too technical
Could you ?
Semi formal has its own introduction and ending. In semi formal you can't say yours sincerely or best of love, see you. It's not appropriate. If the task is asking to write a colleague who was your boss it's formal, if the task is asking to write a colleague who was your best friend from school years- it's informal. In the task nothing like that was written, it means that it was your colleague, a person you knew, hence you have to write with respect - semi formal!

Mandeep1989

Oct 23, 2017
Semi formal has its own introduction and ending. In semi formal you can't say yours sincerely or best of love, see you. It's not appropriate. If the task is asking to write a colleague who was your boss it's formal, if the task is asking to write a colleague who was your best friend from school years- it's informal. In the task nothing like that was written, it means that it was your colleague, a person you knew, hence you have to write with respect - semi formal!
Look mate
Why would u tell anybody about ur life , only if u both are friends , make sense ?
And why would u be so eager to meet him , solely if he is or was ur friend and u both had good time ,make sense ?

Mandeep1989

Oct 23, 2017
Look mate
Why would u tell anybody about ur life , only if u both are friends , make sense ?
And why would u be so eager to meet him , solely if he is or was ur friend and u both had good time ,make sense ?
U r only emphasising on the ‘colleague ‘ word

Defender90

Star Member
Apr 6, 2019
Look mate
I agree with you. As I wrote in previous comments, there's a fine line between this styles, and this task was very tricky.
I don't want to be too much technical but IELTS asks for it.
I tried IELTS several times and this task 1 was the hardest I ve ever had in real exams. In previous exams it was really clear formal or informal.
I agree that if it's just your colleague then they wouldn't asks for telling about your life.
So, In this task, about bullet point tell about your life, I didn't write about my private life(because they didn't tell it's your friend), I wrote about my new job, how I développer professionally. I want to say that I wrote about some thinks that will be interested to my colleagues, not to friends, to avoid formal and too I formal

Reactions: harrysandh9

Defender90

Star Member
Apr 6, 2019
I agree with you. As I wrote in previous comments, there's a fine line between this styles, and this task was very tricky.
I tried IELTS several times and this task 1 was the hardest I ve ever had in real exams. In previous exams it was really clear formal or informal.
I agree that if it's just your colleague then they wouldn't asks for telling about your life.
So, In this task, about bullet point tell about your life, I didn't write about my private life(because they didn't tell it's your friend), I wrote about my new job, how I développer professionally. I want to say that I wrote about some thinks that will be interested to my colleagues, not to friends, to avoid formal and too I formal
I believe that in this task it's a mistake to write something like:
What's up dude, haven't seen you for ages bro. Let's meet and hang out. See you, Buddy!

harrysandh9

Apr 6, 2019
Yes, otherwise they would have written friend instead of colleague in the letter ,and moreover, if the person was that close to us they won't have asked us to tell about our life now. The language used in the letter ques was not informal.

Reactions: Defender90

Defender90

Star Member
Apr 6, 2019
Yes, otherwise they would have written friend instead of colleague in the letter ,and moreover, if the person was that close to us they won't have asked us to tell about our life now. The language used in the letter ques was not informal.
Agree
Moreover, colleague is a key word in this task. We have to describe what is written in 3 bullet point, but the maintask is written in the first sentence. All necessary info was given in task sentence, bullet points are just additional info which you have to write about.
If doesn't pay attention to such minor things , they will always mark you 6.0

Ash-20

Star Member
Jan 6, 2019
You are right. My last ielts test was pretty simple... letter to friend (informal) and essay was also simple ( not asking for any opinion) I was sure that i’ll Get more than 7 ... but I got 6.5.... I don’t know what is the criteria for marking. Anyways let’s wait for 19th. Let’s hope all of us get through