+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ielts 16th of May (computer exam)

Krugman

May 19, 2019
What kind of sections in L did you have?

I had 1-10 about trip, 11-20 about musicians and theatre backstage, 3 MCQ, not sure about topic now, 4th about space travel.

1-10 were about a guy who wanted to spend some time in the village/isolated place at one of the three possible villas. This section was based on MCQ with a map at the end. 11-20 something about art or maybe music that talked about different musicians like Australian nationality, British and their hobbies as well. Section 3 was about two students’ research on advertising, MCQs on their discussions about one or two scholars’ research on advertising. Section 4 was about Red Sea urchins.

How about your reading?

Captain789

May 27, 2018
1-10 were about a guy who wanted to spend some time in the village/isolated place at one of the three possible villas. This section was based on MCQ with a map at the end. 11-20 something about art or maybe music that talked about different musicians like Australian nationality, British and their hobbies as well. Section 3 was about two students’ research on advertising, MCQs on their discussions about one or two scholars’ research on advertising. Section 4 was about Red Sea urchins.

How about your reading?
Oh, nothing connected then :(

S 1 was about different insurance types for drivers in the UK
S 2 was about booking tickets via phone/by post
S 3 text about a child care and retuning taxes.
S 4 a text, but I don't remember anything about it, sorry, but if it's the same as yours, I might be able to remember.

W1 - write a letter to your friend, you need a help with your new job duties
W2 - Thesis essay - Some people say that we should buy local food instead the one that was shipped from overseas.. Do you agree or disagree

Krugman

May 19, 2019
Oh, nothing connected then :(

S 1 was about different insurance types for drivers in the UK
S 2 was about booking tickets via phone/by post
S 3 text about a child care and retuning taxes.
S 4 a text, but I don't remember anything about it, sorry, but if it's the same as yours, I might be able to remember.

W1 - write a letter to your friend, you need a help with your new job duties
W2 - Thesis essay - Some people say that we should buy local food instead the one that was shipped from overseas.. Do you agree or disagree
It seems we had different sets of questions. My reading S 4 was about history of biking in the US, first mountain bicycles production etc.

Writing: T1 was about a book where info on one place I know was incorrect. So I should have written a letter to the author to explain this and ask him/her to correct it. I wrote 250 words but forgot closing my letter with “ yours faithfully and my name. I had enough time for proofreading but I was left with some seconds when I realized that I had not closed my letter. It might sound a bit strange, right? I managed to write only “ Yours fait...” when time finished :) Otherwise I am not really concerned with grammar or task achievement.
T 2 was about different serious problems in cities such as air pollution, noise pollution etc. Had under 300 words and had more than 5 min for proofreading. I think if task 2 is scored 7, then overall score should be 7 even with score 6 for task 1, which is very unlikely despite the issue I highlighted.

Anyway let’s see.

How was your experience? Listening was quite unexpected for me as it started with MCQ with a map in section 1. And speed was quite fast. The rest of the sections were similar to Cambridge books.

Captain789

May 27, 2018
It seems we had different sets of questions. My reading S 4 was about history of biking in the US, first mountain bicycles production etc.

Writing: T1 was about a book where info on one place I know was incorrect. So I should have written a letter to the author to explain this and ask him/her to correct it. I wrote 250 words but forgot closing my letter with “ yours faithfully and my name. I had enough time for proofreading but I was left with some seconds when I realized that I had not closed my letter. It might sound a bit strange, right? I managed to write only “ Yours fait...” when time finished :) Otherwise I am not really concerned with grammar or task achievement.
T 2 was about different serious problems in cities such as air pollution, noise pollution etc. Had under 300 words and had more than 5 min for proofreading. I think if task 2 is scored 7, then overall score should be 7 even with score 6 for task 1, which is very unlikely despite the issue I highlighted.

Anyway let’s see.

How was your experience? Listening was quite unexpected for me as it started with MCQ with a map in section 1. And speed was quite fast. The rest of the sections were similar to Cambridge books.
Oh yeah, I had the same problem with the W p2. I didn't like one sentence, re-wrote it, but didn't like the result. But I'm happy with the rest of it and task 1.

This is the first time I got map in the L section lol and in MCQ the vocabulary that the speakers used was very different from those in the questions.
I'm confident about 28-30 answers, but I need 35. Last year I was confident about the whole section and thought I would get 9, but scored 8 instead...

So I have no idea what I will get this time...

There are certain speakers from Cambridge that I like, especially one woman in her 50s (that's my guess).

csullogzita

Jun 23, 2019
Thank you! Yes, in 4 days!

I didn't see it coming. I got 9/8/7/8, if you need an advice, let me know!

Hello there. Have you passed the Academic IELTS? Can you please share some advice on how to tackle the issue with concentration at the 3rd hour of the exam and how to achieved higher score of 6.5 in Writing? I desperately need at least 7.5 from that section. Many thanks, Zita

Captain789

May 27, 2018
Hello there. Have you passed the Academic IELTS? Can you please share some advice on how to tackle the issue with concentration at the 3rd hour of the exam and how to achieved higher score of 6.5 in Writing? I desperately need at least 7.5 from that section. Many thanks, Zita
Hey there. No, it was the general one.
Well, when you train a lot, you get used to. How many essays did you write?

I kept my headphones on in the computer class too.

I know what you mean because I had the same problem during the Listening test and I literally forced myself to keep going because I have thought I had failed the 2nd part and got frustrated.

You have to sleep well the night before and also summarize the ideas of all sorts of subjects, so you won’t freeze looking at the white screen.

I think what also helped me is that our computer test starts at 2 pm, not at 10 am.

Why do you need 7.5 in writing part in Academic? Normally 6.5-7.0 is enough?

csullogzita

Jun 23, 2019
Thank you very much for your reply.

Most of the time I have good thought flow and the structure is in my head but I don’t know what happened on my previous exam. I will definitely practice more in next few days. I will be in Calgary from this Friday until 18th of July, my cousins will look after my baby girl and I just have to give my best, I will take this exam 6x if needed as I cannot waste this chance.

Actually, I need at least 7.5 from all sections as I am applying for the Foundation programme 2020 in the UK (specialty programme for doctors) and that is one of their requirements. I passed IELTS last year with overall 7, and also OET with a grade B (four Bs from all sections) in February in order to get my license to practice from the General Medical Council but I need this to do my next step. I have to succeed in this by 5th of August. Otherwise, I can apply for this programme only next year and to be honest with you I don’t want to sit and wait anymore.

If you have any other advice, please send me an email. My email address csullogzita@gmail.com

Best rega