+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IEC visa - Medical exam for working with children

Visacanadak

Dec 21, 2018
Hi,

I intend to work with children in a few different settings such as nannying, sports coaching and as a camp counsellor. But I will not be working as a formal teacher. I wanted to firstly double check that I will need a medical report to attach to my visa application?

Secondly, in your experience (for anybody else who has done this or knows about it) how long has the process of obtaining this taken? There seems to be so many different elements to applying for this visa I'm not sure how anybody gets it done within the time limit!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you in advance.

Kim

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
As far as I know, a medical is required for any visa to Canada that entails a stay of over 6 months—foreign workers, students, and of course, permanent residents.

The medical takes a few hours to complete, and you’ll get a form by the end of it to attach to your application. How soon you get an appointment depends on the clinic.

Reactions: Visacanadak

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016

Visacanadak

Dec 21, 2018
As far as I know, a medical is required for any visa to Canada that entails a stay of over 6 months—foreign workers, students, and of course, permanent residents.

The medical takes a few hours to complete, and you’ll get a form by the end of it to attach to your application. How soon you get an appointment depends on the clinic.

Thank you for your reply. It seems to be pointing me in the direction that I do indeed need one if planning to work with kids, yes. The only problem now is that it costs 360 Euro! Considering my stay in Canada will be one year or perhaps (but not necessarily) two, the cost is quite shocking. I do not have a guaranteed job yet working with children over there, and the work I do may only be sporadic, so overall I'm not sure if it is worth it.

Visacanadak

Dec 21, 2018
Thank you for your response. Based on the work I will be doing with children it seems a medical exam is necessary, but I am shocked at the cost of 360Euro.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for your response. Based on the work I will be doing with children it seems a medical exam is necessary, but I am shocked at the cost of 360Euro.
You can wait and take the medical once you arrive in Canada. it will be somewhat cheaper here.

To remove the condition off your work permit after you arrive, you'll need to take the medical and then wait 2-3 weeks for IRCC to process it. You would then travel to a US/Canada land border to get the restriction removed from your work permit. This is how you would do it if you wait until after you have arrived in Canada and after the work permit has been issued.

Visacanadak

Dec 21, 2018
You can wait and take the medical once you arrive in Canada. it will be somewhat cheaper here.

To remove the condition off your work permit after you arrive, you'll need to take the medical and then wait 2-3 weeks for IRCC to process it. You would then travel to a US/Canada land border to get the restriction removed from your work permit. This is how you would do it if you wait until after you have arrived in Canada and after the work permit has been issued.

OK, understood. Thank you very much.