Feb 27, 2019
Vancouver
Visa Office......
New Delhi
App. Filed.......
09-05-2019
File Transfer...
29-08-2019
Hi AnnaMontana - the Canadian Government has a special website which shows you where you can provide your biometrics.

Link: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/campaigns/biometrics/where-to-give-biometrics.html

Just type in the name of a City or a State and it will show you where to go. It also tells you if the office you selected has Walk-In or
if you need an appointment. Most of the USCIS have Walk-In between 11am to 2pm.
Hi there,
I'm just curious about this Biometrics process.
It does not say anywhere that walk-ins are welcomed.
I live in Vancouver. And the closest place to me is also Seattle.
Do you think I should take a chance to walk-in USCIS in Seattle for giving Biometrics without any appointment?
I have a work-permit.
Will I re-enter Canada on the basis of that Work-Permit?
A prompt reply is highly appreciated ;-)

Rosy

josi3

Jul 15, 2019
Hi everyone,

I live in Vancouver and am on the IEC (work and travel) Visa at the moment. I applied for the Young Professionals Visa and just received the letter to give my biometrics.

I'm wondering, if it's possible to go to Vancouver International Airport to give my fingerprints etc there, as it brings it up as a location on the website.
I'm curious, if anyone has done it from already being in the country. I'm not sure, if you can only do it when entering the country?

Any experience with this?
I'd really like to avoid driving down to Seattle for this ...

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi everyone,

I live in Vancouver and am on the IEC (work and travel) Visa at the moment. I applied for the Young Professionals Visa and just received the letter to give my biometrics.

I'm wondering, if it's possible to go to Vancouver International Airport to give my fingerprints etc there, as it brings it up as a location on the website.
I'm curious, if anyone has done it from already being in the country. I'm not sure, if you can only do it when entering the country?

Any experience with this?
I'd really like to avoid driving down to Seattle for this ...
1. No, as you aren't an international arrival.

GPenny

Aug 10, 2019
Hello all! I hope someone can provide me with clear instructions on what to do now.

My situation is that I'm right now on a IEC - Work & Holiday Visa in Canada. This Visa expires in a few day's.

Because I want to stay for a another year I applied in the meantime for the IEC - Young Professional Visa.
I also already got picked for the IEC - Young Professional Visa payed the Fees got a job offering from a company etc. did everything you must provide to get this Visa. Everything went kind of like you wish it should go.

Today I got the Biometrics Instruction Letter and know everything starts to get complicated.

There is a part on the Biometrics Instruction Letter which say's:

"Under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) and its Regulations, you are required to have your fingerprints scanned and your photograph taken (your biometrics) at a biometric collection service point to help Visa Officers determine if you may enter or stay in Canada. Most applicants will need to give their biometrics at a biometric collection service point abroad before they travel to Canada.

Only those who are eligible to apply for a work permit or a study permit at a designated port of entry can give their biometrics upon arrival in Canada.

Note: If you received this letter you must give your biometrics before coming to Canada and are not
eligible to have your fingerprints and photograph taken at a Canadian port of entry. If you are already
in Canada, you will have to leave the country to provide your biometrics.
"

So do I understand it correct? Does it really mean that I have to leave Canada now, travel to one of the VAC Centers, only to provide them with my Biometrics? I mean even in the USA there are only two VAC Centre right now, one in New York and the other one in Los Angeles.

Can I not just go to a Port of Entry and provide them with my Biometrics? Do a "Borderrun" maybe?
Or is there maybe a Service Centre in Kanada for this kind of situations where I can provide the Biometrics?

Any help would be great! Maybe someone had a similar situation? Looking forward to hear from you guys.

Thanks!
Hi
I was wondering were you on implied status by the time you crossed the border to the USA? Everything has been going fine with my application until I got my biometrics letter. I am on implied status meaning if I leave Canada I cannon work once I re-enter, do you know if this is still the case even if I am being asked to leave Canada to get my biometrics done?
I am so confused. I would really appreciate any help you can offer.

Many thanks

Areej_

Aug 12, 2019
So for those who are interested in how the stuff with the biometrics ended.

I went to the USCIS in Seattle today. Walk-ins are welcome by the way no appointment needed and no
extra fee got charged for the biometrics. It took about 10 minutes incl. waiting time and everything was done.

They know exactly what to do when you provide them with the Biometrics Instructions Letter from Canada.

I also checked my IEC account a few hours later and what a surprise the biometrics where already connected with my profile.

A little note on the side: if you want to use the public parking at the USCIS. They charge 7 US$ for it and they only take cash.

Hi, when you went to Seattle do you have to apply for US visitor visa in order to get there? I am about to change my status from student visa to pgwp and dont know possible way to get biometrics.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hi, when you went to Seattle do you have to apply for US visitor visa in order to get there? I am about to change my status from student visa to pgwp and dont know possible way to get biometrics.
If you do not hold a passport that is part of the US visa waiver scheme then you need a US visa to enter the US.

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
You won't need to do biometrics to apply for your PGWP, as it is a "within Canada" app.

Leigh05

Oct 1, 2019
Others can comment as well but by legally simply means you have crossed into the US through a legal entry point and been approved for entry for a specific period by US CBP. By all means get an ESTA which is generally required for air travel as means you will be in the system but as a visa exempt you could also get an i 94 at the land border which believe costs 6 dollars although may have changed as per FAQ below.

See here for FAQ
https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/application.html?execution=e1s1

Seems now can also apply for an i94 in advance although as per FAQ above an ESTA now also good, rules keep changing all the time.

https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home

Note there is no such thing as implied status for the IEC program.

Leigh05

Oct 1, 2019
Hi! I took the night bus to US since I had my appointment around 10 am next day. I was in NY around 8 am and went straight to the VAC. It was empty so they took care of it straight away. I spent the day in NY then took a night bus back again and was home early in the morning next day.

I didn't have any issues to enter US: the border officer asked me where I would stay in the states and for how long and I explained It was just a day visit because I had to go and give biometrics and then planning to go back. He just laughed and said "wow can't believe you have to go all the way to NY to give fingerprints!". He checked my ESTA, i94 and passport and that's it.

But, I had issues when re-entered Canada. Since I've been in Canada exactly 6 months they asked about my status and why I wanted to come back. I have extended my status as a visitor and got approved 6 more months but they wanted to see proof of that. I was prepared for this so I had printed my approval and showed my status. They asked what I did in US and I told them the same thing, about my IEC application and that NY was the closest to me to give biometrics. They checked my papers and passport and then let me in.

Since the bus have a schedule to keep they are used to the procedure and just want to make sure everybody have their documents. We were about 20 people on the bus and it took maybe 15 minute to pass the border and check everybody. Everybody was nice and helpful, they just want to do their job.

I hope this helps!

Leigh05

Oct 1, 2019
Did they allow u to enter in USA without Visa how did u do that coz my son is in the same situation until now waiting his biometrics done insi
Hi AnnaMontana - the Canadian Government has a special website which shows you where you can provide your biometrics.

Link: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/campaigns/biometrics/where-to-give-biometrics.html

Just type in the name of a City or a State and it will show you where to go. It also tells you if the office you selected has Walk-In or
if you need an appointment. Most of the USCIS have Walk-In between 11am to 2pm.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Did they allow u to enter in USA without Visa how did u do that coz my son is in the same situation until now waiting his biometrics done insi
If he requires a visa to enter the US, he can't enter without one.