+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IEC - Provide Biometrics from inside Canada

Discussion in 'Foreign Workers' started by P4tr1ck, Jan 9, 2019.

  1. If your mother is a Permanent Resident, and you are her dependent, then as far as I know you're exempt from the biometrics requirement for the PR application.

    You won't need to give biometrics for the visitor extension if you're legally in Canada.

    If you are applying as a member of the family class and are legally in Canada when you apply, you are currently exempt from giving biometrics.


    However, you will get a letter from IRCC and that will give you instructions. You will need to follow those instructions. If they tell you that you have to leave to give biometrics, you'll have to do that.
  2. but my mother is still on open work permit and doesnt receive the PR yet
  3. Dependent children don't qualify for work permits based on their parent's status. You should withdraw your app now while you still have a chance of getting a refund.
  4. Eligibility requirements if you apply from inside Canada
    You can only apply for a work permit from inside Canada if:

    • you have a valid study or work permit
    • your spouse, common-law partner or parents have a valid study or work permit
    • you’ve graduated from a program at a:
      • Canadian university
      • community college
      • CÉGEP
      • publicly funded trade/technical school, or
      • other eligible school
    • you have a temporary resident permit that is valid for six months or more
    • you’re waiting on a decision on an application for permanent residence from inside Canada
    • you made or will make a claim for refugee protection
    • you’ve been recognized as a convention refugee or protected person by the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada
    • you’re allowed to work in Canada without a work permit but you need a work permit to work in a different job, or
    • you’re a trader, investor, intra-company transferee or professional under NAFTA
    it states there that i can apply cause my mother have a work permit????
  5. so basically i can't change my status to owp because of my mother who doesnt have her PR yet?
  6. I may be mistaken. Sorry - wait for some more experienced folk to reply.
  7. this is highly appreciated thank you for your time looking forward for someone that can get me answers
  8. Hi guys,

    My girlfriend is in the same situation. She is from Germany, living and working in Canada on WHV, expires July 2019. She has applied for YP and has paid the fees for Biometrics, now she has received the letter to provide Biometrics. Does she really have to leave the country to provide this?
    They have given her 30 days to do so, this seems ridiculous!

    We live in Vernon BC, and was hoping we could just drive 2hrs down to the border at Osoyoos, but reading other posts this doesnt seem possible?The only VACs in the USA are New York or Los Angeles.

    We are heading back to Germany in June so could always provide them back in Germany, but by this time the 30 days will be up.
    Any advice will be appreciated
  9. It doesn't need to be a VAC. There are several closer locations where she can do the biometrics. I believe Seattle has a location. Check the website.
  10. On the CIC website it says the below.

    If I am in Canada, do I have to give my biometrics immediately?

    If you apply for a new visitor visa, an initial study permit or initial work permit

    • You may need to give your biometrics. If so, you may need to leave Canada to give your biometrics at the nearest visa application centre in a country that you can legally enter.
    If you apply to extend your stay, your study permit or work permit or apply for permanent residence

    • You don’t have to give your biometrics until we open biometrics collection centres in Canada in 2019. When the new centres open, you’ll need to give biometrics for your next application, including a renewal or an extension.

    The letter she got is very confusing, especially when you then try to clarify it with the CIC page!

    So I'm guessing that;
    (Applying for YP counts as an Initial Work permit?? and NOT and Extension to IEC)
  11. Hello, i have the same situation, can i give my biometrics to the closest POE? Or do i have to leave Canada? I didn't get my instruction letter yet.

    And how many days will i be receiving my biometrics letter?

  12. Hey. Just one question: are you American? Can anyone with US visa (I have tourist visa) go to Seattle VAC?

  13. Hey Patrick,

    Just wanted to ask if you had any issues entering USA as a tourist without a valid Canadian visa with your passport? I believe you said you had an ESTA.

    Was there any issues crossing back into Canada with the IEC work permit still pending?

    I ask because I've been advised to return to Australia to complete my biometric and that's one expensive trip. I've also been advised to not make the trip to the USA specifically for the purpose of completing the biometrics scan but I can't see how it would be an issue if I'm entering on a tourist visa.

    Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
  14. Hey everyone, just a heads up about my experience with all this yesterday.

    I am currently living in Montreal just coming to the end of my first IEC. I have applied for and been accepted for a second IEC and so I need to provide my biometrics. The closest VAC to Montreal is in Vermont so I booked an appointment and attempted to drive across the border yesterday. The border guard asked me specifically if I was entering the US to do biometrics, when I told him yes he denied me entry and we had to turn around and go back to Canada. He said they no longer let people across the border to do biometrics but wouldn't give me any more information.

    I asked the Canadian border guard if he had any advice and he told me I should fly to Europe to get it done!

    Anyone else with a similar experience or advice?
  15. That sucks, but based on how US CBP operates I'm not surprised. Did he give you any documentation that has a reason - was it an official denial, or did he just tell you to turn around?

Share This Page