+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I worked after graduation but before applying for PGWP, help!

Ask_Arsh

Star Member
Sep 2, 2019
Winnipeg, MB
VISA ISSUED...
25-05-2018
LANDED..........
12-06-2018
Hi,
I received the letter of completion on February 13 and applied for my transcripts on February 15. I received the transcripts on February 25 and applied for my PGWP with the completion letter and transcripts on February 26. However, I accepted my employment offer on February 15 and got my first pay stub at the end of March. My employment letter states that I start on February 15. My full time job is on campus as a postdoctoral. Is this an issue for PR?
Any help is much appreciated.
What date did you actually start working?

sidcome

Jul 28, 2020
Hi,
I received the letter of completion on February 13 and applied for my transcripts on February 15. I received the transcripts on February 25 and applied for my PGWP with the completion letter and transcripts on February 26. However, I accepted my employment offer on February 15 and got my first pay stub at the end of March. My employment letter states that I start on February 15. My full time job is on campus as a postdoctoral. Is this an issue for PR?
Any help is much appreciated.
Did u have any problems in applying for PR?

daaarong

Jan 30, 2017
I am not disrespecting anybody here, I am saying what is right according to Law. You can not work full time or part time after getting final transcripts from college, even if you have a valid study permit. You need to apply PGWP first and then you can continue working under implied status. But I was talking about that critical period between receiving final transcripts and before applying PGWP.
What Dhillon is saying is right.. one should not work at all no matter part-time or full-time as soon as they finish school program, the final transcript or graduation whatever comes first. only after applying PGWP, one can resume working. Many students think they can work even after completing course before applying PGWP, that is a common misconception.

Aug 27, 2021
I am not disrespecting anybody here, I am saying what is right according to Law. You can not work full time or part time after getting final transcripts from college, even if you have a valid study permit. You need to apply PGWP first and then you can continue working under implied status. But I was talking about that critical period between receiving final transcripts and before applying PGWP.
Hello parwinder, I have a question.
On 23 of August, I completed my study (last day of my college) but I don't get any completion letter or transcript yet. In this case, can I work either part time or full time? Please help me....

kisiro191

Star Member
Jul 2, 2020
Hello parwinder, I have a question.
On 23 of August, I completed my study (last day of my college) but I don't get any completion letter or transcript yet. In this case, can I work either part time or full time? Please help me....
you can only work part time until you submitted application for PGWP

Vishxl

Aug 29, 2021
hello
I am an international student in Canada,
I have completed my studies. My studies have finished on 25th August. Now, I am waiting for my Completion letter from my college to apply for PGWP.
I want to ask that am I allowed to work 20 hours a week until I receive my completion letter from my college or not ?

Vishxl

Aug 29, 2021
you can only work part time until you submitted application for PGWP
hello
I have completed my studies. My studies have finished on 25th August. Now, I am waiting for my Completion letter from my college to apply for PGWP.
I want to ask that am I allowed to work 20 hours a week until I receive my completion letter from my college or not ?

kisiro191

Star Member
Jul 2, 2020
hello
Yes.

John_22

Oct 21, 2018
Hi guys,

I graduated and got my final results from UBC (full time studies) in mid May, and got hired to work 2 part time jobs from that point. I worked around 3-4 shifts in total during the 2 weeks before I applied for PGWP after someone from UBC International House told me to apply immediately and to own up to working illegally. Apparently upon getting my final grades, my study permit no longer allows me to work before applying for PGWP? My study permit allowed me to work on and off campus during non-study time. I expect to get my results for the PGWP application in around 2-3 weeks at which point my 90-day period after graduation ends, so I'm really short on time if I get rejected. The person working at International House told me that being honest in my application was the best way forward, but that some people had gotten rejected for doing what I did. I'm aware that every application is subjective and upto the specific agent, but I was curious if some people have made the same mistakes I did, or know anything about this situation that they could share. For example, is it likely that such cases get rejected/approved?

Thanks in advance!
How's your situation? Did they approve your application or not?

John_22

Oct 21, 2018
@cappyoh Did you wrote an explaination letter? I made the same mistake and worried now. I am in Ontario and my transcript was issued on 03rd February, 2019 and I applied for my pgwp on 07th February, 2019 (I got 3 year pgwp in May 2019). However, I started working full time as a Software Developer on 21st January. I think I am in deep trouble. What are my options?
Are you worrid about your PR application when your PGWP has been approved?

thedanielv

Aug 15, 2022
Hi guys,

I graduated and got my final results from UBC (full time studies) in mid May, and got hired to work 2 part time jobs from that point. I worked around 3-4 shifts in total during the 2 weeks before I applied for PGWP after someone from UBC International House told me to apply immediately and to own up to working illegally. Apparently upon getting my final grades, my study permit no longer allows me to work before applying for PGWP? My study permit allowed me to work on and off campus during non-study time. I expect to get my results for the PGWP application in around 2-3 weeks at which point my 90-day period after graduation ends, so I'm really short on time if I get rejected. The person working at International House told me that being honest in my application was the best way forward, but that some people had gotten rejected for doing what I did. I'm aware that every application is subjective and upto the specific agent, but I was curious if some people have made the same mistakes I did, or know anything about this situation that they could share. For example, is it likely that such cases get rejected/approved?

Thanks in advance!
Hello,
Do you have any update on this? I find myself in the same predicament and I'm unsure how to handle the situation. I found out I wasn't allowed to work after graduation only now that I am filling my PGWP papers. I don't know if I should just upload a letter of explanation explaining that I wrongly assumed I was still entitled to my 40 hours a week during school breaks until the expiration of my study permit, and hope for them to excuse it....
Thank you in advance

Deepka

Aug 25, 2022
Hii guys,
I did work after graduation before applying work permit. Please help me what I can do now ?

Yagnavel

Nov 18, 2022
I did the same mistake, worked 1-day between my transcript date and PGWP submission date. Actually, I took 1-day off after I received my graduation letter, transcript and I joined back but eventually my employer did not deduct from my pay. Mine is 1 day, so should I be worried? Someone who came across, please share your thoughts. Thanks!

Reactions: Aneep Kumar

Aneep Kumar

Mar 14, 2018
Ottawa
I did the same mistake, worked 1-day between my transcript date and PGWP submission date. Actually, I took 1-day off after I received my graduation letter, transcript and I joined back but eventually my employer did not deduct from my pay. Mine is 1 day, so should I be worried? Someone who came across, please share your thoughts. Thanks!
No you are good to go.

mohak1990

Aug 6, 2019
If someone worked just for two weeks full time after graduation on a valid study permit without applying for PGWP. It’s not a big problem right? Also what if the pay check was received after applying for work permit.?
It is not legal to work even a single shift. I am not sure why the VIP members are spreading a wrong information.