+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I Work From Home and Have an Online Business - Can I move to Canada?

speedo

Jun 12, 2007
As the subject says, I have a successful online business that is registered in New York. I'm wondering if I can just move to Montreal, rent an apartment and run my business from there? I do audio post production, so this would also involve me bringing some equipment across the border which might be a bad idea.

Is there anything I should be aware of with this?

Is it legal for me to live in Canada and run my US business?

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
Here's the link: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-nopermit.asp#business

You might be able to call yourself a "business visitor," but if you don't have your main place of business in the U.S., that blows the deal. Doesn't matter where you're registered - matters where the work takes place. Here are the details of a business visitor:

Business visitors do not need a work permit. They may still need a temporary resident visa. For details, see Visiting Canada on the left-hand side of this page. As a US citizen, you wouldn't need a temporary resident visa.

A business visitor is someone who comes to Canada to engage in international business activities here without directly entering the Canadian labour market.

Business visitors must prove the following:

That their main source of payment is outside Canada
That their main place of business is outside Canada