+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I want to bring my Thai girlfriend home to Canada...

thewug

Dec 2, 2007
Hi there...
I would like to bring my Thai girlfriend to Canada.... We are planning to get married in June but do to the fact that I right now need to work here in canada thats a long time to be apart... So the question is how hard is it for her to get a visa to come to Canada... and also once we get married how hard is it for here to stay in Canada... Thankyou

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
Very difficult to get her into Canada unless she has a good job that she would return to in Thailand. It would also help for her to own a nice home.

Once you get married, you can sponsor her to immigrate as a member of the family class (spouse). You can do that whether she's in Canada or elsewhere. But as I said, it's going to be difficult to get her a visitor's visa.

Canada doesn't have a "fiance" visa like the U.S.

hey,

I went through the exact same problem as you. In order to get a temporary visa for your girlfriend, (Provided that she doesn't have what is stated above) you need to get married in Thailand first. It is ALOT of paperwork. ****I highly recommend using a translation center to do the leg work for you***.They have connections inside the Thai ministry and will get your docs done fast,you have to prove you are single with a waiver you can sign at the embassy. You will also have to translate all the thai documents into english then submit them to the CDN embassy. Then the Embassy folk will tell you to get into the immigration line, and then they will give you a sponsership and Permanent resident visa application.

From there, you go back to Canada most likely alone, and do all your docs as clear and as percise as possible. If everything checks out, your sponsership should be to long. Mine was only 3 week to start to finish. although 5 months later and my wife and I are still waiting for word from Singapore about the Permanent Visa application.

here is the translation center I used they are professional and endorsed by most of the furaung country embassys.

www.itctranslation.com (Suan Lum night bazaar) - talk to Mrs. Joy

All in all, it took me 2 weeks to get married and have my thai side paperwork finished. CDN immigration is another story.

Vaquero

Feb 8, 2008
Hi TheWug and ThaiGuy,

I have a similiar situation but a bit different.

My Thai gf currently lives in Europe (10 yr resident card, still a Thai national) and is going thru a divorce (marriage was 'over' a few yrs ago). She is coming to Canada on a 1 year multiple entry visitor's visa. She is fluent in English and French and has 2 university degrees.

Question - should she want to stay in Canada, what are the possibilities re skilled worker visa? It seems that it takes a few years for such to be processed. There is also the provincial nomination programme that may work if applicable and can take a few months if it goes well.

Alternatively, if things work out well, I will marry her here in Canada. Is this possible given that she is Thai, and we would not necessarily have to go to Thailand? Would I then be able to sponsor her for immigration and try to get a permanent resident card? I believe such an application would have to be made thru the Canada immigration office in Singapore, correct?

Vaq