+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I thought American citizens needed a passport to enter Canada

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Since early 2007, I thought a passport was needed, but according to this, they may not be:

[From CBSA publication, bsf5082: Visitors to Canada (modified 2012-12-05)]

When you enter Canada, a border services officer may ask to see your passport and a valid visa (if you are arriving from a country from which one is required). If you are a United States citizen (U.S.), you do not need a passport to enter Canada; however, you should carry proof of your citizenship such as a birth certificate, a certificate of citizenship or naturalization or a Certificate of Indian Status, as well as a photo ID. If you are a permanent resident of the U.S., you must bring your permanent resident card with you.

So, this might mean that my American friends that have been saying "Oh, we'd really love to come visit Canada, but we don't have a passport" can visit after all?

Is the passport, an airline (or commercial carrier) requirement only?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No - they don't need a US passport to enter Canada.

However they do need a passport if they wish to apply to immigrate to Canada. Alternate forms of identification (including a passport card) aren't accepted.

Mariac819

Feb 29, 2012
New York USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept. 10, 2014
Doc's Request.
May 06, 2015 - they lost my relationship proof and FBI clearance. They will accept copy of FBI, I sent in more relationship proof.
AOR Received.
Oct. 23, 2014 (By Phone)
File Transfer...
Oct. 28, 2014 (SA)
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 25, 2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
DM - June 23, 2015 COPR June 24, 2015
LANDED..........
July 12, 2015
Ponga said:
Since early 2007, I thought a passport was needed, but according to this, they may not be:

[From CBSA publication, bsf5082: Visitors to Canada (modified 2012-12-05)]

When you enter Canada, a border services officer may ask to see your passport and a valid visa (if you are arriving from a country from which one is required). If you are a United States citizen (U.S.), you do not need a passport to enter Canada; however, you should carry proof of your citizenship such as a birth certificate, a certificate of citizenship or naturalization or a Certificate of Indian Status, as well as a photo ID. If you are a permanent resident of the U.S., you must bring your permanent resident card with you.

So, this might mean that my American friends that have been saying "Oh, we'd really love to come visit Canada, but we don't have a passport" can visit after all?

Is the passport, an airline (or commercial carrier) requirement only?
I cross by land very frequently (before I had Nexus) and they always asked for my passport. So I don't know, but I always carry it with me even now that I have Nexus and don't "need it."

iqbalcheema

Sep 9, 2014
This is via Land only - and it works vice versa too, contrary to the belief that Canadians always need passport - US officials accept citizenship card too and offcourse the smart license which has embedded info

By AIR - Passports required no exceptions

fugaziosbourne

Aug 8, 2014
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
01-10-2013
When I moved here in 2012 I crossed the border with just my license. I didn't have a passport at the time. When I applied for my passport at the embassy they seemed surprised that I had been allowed in.

Mariac819

Feb 29, 2012
New York USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept. 10, 2014
Doc's Request.
May 06, 2015 - they lost my relationship proof and FBI clearance. They will accept copy of FBI, I sent in more relationship proof.
AOR Received.
Oct. 23, 2014 (By Phone)
File Transfer...
Oct. 28, 2014 (SA)
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 25, 2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
July 12, 2015
This all stems from 911 -

Pre 911 - travel between Canada and the USA only required a drivers license.

Then post 911 the USA required passports for entry so Canada said alright then we will to.

Its that simple. Just carry a passport. Best ID you could ever have anyway.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Mariac819 said:
This all stems from 911 -

Pre 911 - travel between Canada and the USA only required a drivers license.

Then post 911 the USA required passports for entry so Canada said alright then we will to.

Its that simple. Just carry a passport. Best ID you could ever have anyway.
Not entirely, since it wasn't until early 2007 that a passport was even an issue for an American traveling to Canada by air.

Carrying a passport is a great idea, but as I stated...a few of my friends don't have a passport. Why, I have no idea because there's more to see in this world besides the Good 'Ol U.S. of A....eh!

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ponga said:
Not entirely, since it wasn't until early 2007 that a passport was even an issue for an American traveling to Canada by air.

Carrying a passport is a great idea, but as I stated...a few of my friends don't have a passport. Why, I have no idea because there's more to see in this world besides the Good 'Ol U.S. of A....eh!
from cpb site: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/74/~/us-citizens---documents-needed-for-entry-into-the-u.s.

Land or Sea Travel: U.S. citizens entering the United States by land or sea are required to present a valid WHTI-compliant document, which include:

U.S. Passports
U.S. Passport Cards
Enhanced Driver's Licenses
Trusted Traveler Cards (Global Entry*, NEXUS, SENTRI, or FAST)
Military Identification Cards (for members of the U.S. armed forces on official orders)
U.S. Merchant Mariner Document (for U.S. citizens on official maritime business)

so may be they can come to Canada with birth certificate but can't return back :p

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So only passport, passport card and enhanced driver's license work for normal adult citizens to go back and forth between US and Canada (by that i mean non-military, non-nexus, etc)

here's more info on the US side: http://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/whti-program-background

WHTI was successfully implemented on June 1, 2009 for entry into the U.S. by land and sea. U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry are required to present a WHTI-compliant document such as a valid passport, U.S. passport card, Trusted Traveler Program card (NEXUS, SENTRI, Global Entry or FAST), or an Enhanced Driver's License.

For purposes of establishing identity and citizenship, Canadian citizens entering the United States at sea and land ports of entry are required to present one of the following documents valid for the entire period of intended stay: a valid passport issued by the Government of Canada; a Trusted Traveler Program card (NEXUS, FAST, or SENTRI); or an Enhanced Driver's License.

U.S. and Canadian citizens under age 16 may present only proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate or Naturalization Certificate.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chakrab said:
from cpb site: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/74/~/us-citizens---documents-needed-for-entry-into-the-u.s.

Land or Sea Travel: U.S. citizens entering the United States by land or sea are required to present a valid WHTI-compliant document, which include:

U.S. Passports
U.S. Passport Cards
Military Identification Cards (for members of the U.S. armed forces on official orders)
U.S. Merchant Mariner Document (for U.S. citizens on official maritime business)

so may be they can come to Canada with birth certificate but can't return back :p
LOL! That's crazy!

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
I have a NEXUS card and that is supposed to be all you need for land crossings. But i still carry around one of my passports just in case.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
Ponga said:

If they have an 'enhanced license' for driving they can use that for getting in/out of Canada as well. My daughter uses hers all the time for crossing. It has more information embedded than a standard license is essentially the same as a passport card for land crossings.

Mariac819

Feb 29, 2012
New York USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept. 10, 2014
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Oct. 23, 2014 (By Phone)
File Transfer...
Oct. 28, 2014 (SA)
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 25, 2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
July 12, 2015
chakrab said:

U.S. Passports
U.S. Passport Cards

Hahahah - you made me giggle

Mariac819

Feb 29, 2012
New York USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept. 10, 2014
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
Oct. 23, 2014 (By Phone)
File Transfer...
Oct. 28, 2014 (SA)
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
July 25, 2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
July 12, 2015
keesio said:
I have a NEXUS card and that is supposed to be all you need for land crossings. But i still carry around one of my passports just in case.
I've been a Nexus card holder for 2 years now and twice the USA has asked for my passport. So I always carry it as well. YOU NEVER KNOW!!

blueangel371115

Champion Member
May 24, 2012
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
13-01-2014
Doc's Request.
10-02-2014
AOR Received.
17-07-2014
File Transfer...
17-07-2014
Med's Done....
02-12-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2015 (returned 1/19 due to errors), 26-01-2015
LANDED..........
05-02-2015 Finally
My parents have enhanced drivers and I have a passport. My friend had asked about it prior to my wedding in Canada as she had neither and they said you need one or the other.

Also as a note they told me that my son (2 months old) can use his birth certificate until he was 16 ( although he has a passport for his citizenship certificate)