+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I request people who applied for a study permit in or after April of this year to share their timeline, I am in a huge dilemma regarding sds vs n.sds.

Raj12344321

Apr 21, 2022
Hey,
Since I will be applying for a permit in mid-June from India I just wanted to find out which of the two processes (SDS v non-sds) has a faster processing time. Please help me out with this if possible. Thanks for your time and patience.

anuragipushp

Star Member
Dec 24, 2021
Category........
STUDY
Right now it seems like Non-SDS files are getting their decision in a span of just >15 days. If your profile is strong and you've got sufficient financials, then I'd suggest filing under Non-SDS especially because you said that you'll be applying in mid-June. If you apply under SDS, you MIGHT get your decision before your program start date but I doubt that because processing times might increase in coming days due to recent surge in IRCC backlogs.

Reactions: Raj12344321

Raj12344321

Apr 21, 2022
Right now it seems like Non-SDS files are getting their decision in a span of just >15 days. If your profile is strong and you've got sufficient financials, then I'd suggest filing under Non-SDS especially because you said that you'll be applying in mid-June. If you apply under SDS, you MIGHT get your decision before your program start date but I doubt that because processing times might increase in coming days due to recent surge in IRCC backlogs.
Thanks for the reply. Could you tell me what I would need to show for financial proof, my parents will be helping me with funds but there are no loans involved. Does that count as strong financials? Also about the rest of the profile, what exactly counts as a strong profile?

anuragipushp

Star Member
Dec 24, 2021
Category........
STUDY
Thanks for the reply. Could you tell me what I would need to show for financial proof, my parents will be helping me with funds but there are no loans involved. Does that count as strong financials? Also about the rest of the profile, what exactly counts as a strong profile?
For financials, you should demonstrate that you/your sponser is going to bear the total cost of your studies and the cost for duration of your stay. A sponsorship letter would also be a great idea. By strong profile I meant that as long as there's no major red flags in your profile such as very low academics, irrelevant program that you cannot justify through a letter of explanation and no strong home ties, you should be good to get your visa, regardless of the category you apply under.

Raj12344321

Apr 21, 2022
Okay a few questions

I was checking the non SDS document page but there are only 7 slots for uploading documents. Do I just attach all of these in one pdf ? As in sponsorship letter, etc. Also does that mean there are other ways besides a sponsorship letter to show that my parents are willing to help me with funds?

Regarding scholarship, I have a letter, do I attach all those in the same pdf as the one with financial proof, bank statements, ITR etc ? And for financial proof do I only submit those of my sponsor or mine as well because I can but I am not sure if it's becoming too much for one upload slot.

Final question, my offer letter is conditional. Basically they wanted my official transcripts/degree which I sent and they acknowledged it over mail but they said they don't give a new unconditional letter. I am not sure if this is how it works so wanted to know if the permit app requires an unconditional letter or not.

anuragipushp

Star Member
Dec 24, 2021
Category........
STUDY
Okay a few questions

I was checking the non SDS document page but there are only 7 slots for uploading documents. Do I just attach all of these in one pdf ? As in sponsorship letter, etc. Also does that mean there are other ways besides a sponsorship letter to show that my parents are willing to help me with funds?

Regarding scholarship, I have a letter, do I attach all those in the same pdf as the one with financial proof, bank statements, ITR etc ? And for financial proof do I only submit those of my sponsor or mine as well because I can but I am not sure if it's becoming too much for one upload slot.

Final question, my offer letter is conditional. Basically they wanted my official transcripts/degree which I sent and they acknowledged it over mail but they said they don't give a new unconditional letter. I am not sure if this is how it works so wanted to know if the permit app requires an unconditional letter or not.
I'm sorry but I cannot give you a helpful answer to these questions. I would suggest you take professional help in this case as I do not want to misinform you.

Kimberly Farley

May 16, 2022
Category........
STUDY
App. Filed.......
30-04-2022
Med's Done....
06-05-2022
Okay a few questions

Hi,

For materials that you do not know where to go, put them in your Client Information. That works for both sds and non sds application.
You can only upload one pdf for each slot, and each of them can not be bigger than 4 MB. So try to combine them in a logical order and make a table of contents in the very beginning, if the document contains a lot of things.
If the document is too big, you can use online website (e.g. ilovepdf, smallpdf) to compress it.

If your parents will be your sponsor, I strongly recommend a document proving your relationship with them, such as a birth certificate. Also, provide materials of your parents to show their financial ability: bank statement, citification of property and vehicles, deposit certificate, etc.
If your bank statement is not good, just don't put it in your financial proof.

Conditional offer can be used to apply for a study permit. If you have doubts, you can combine your offer letter and the communication emails together when you upload the materials.

Wish you good luck from China :)

Raj12344321

Apr 21, 2022
Hi,

For materials that you do not know where to go, put them in your Client Information. That works for both sds and non sds application.
You can only upload one pdf for each slot, and each of them can not be bigger than 4 MB. So try to combine them in a logical order and make a table of contents in the very beginning, if the document contains a lot of things.
If the document is too big, you can use online website (e.g. ilovepdf, smallpdf) to compress it.

If your parents will be your sponsor, I strongly recommend a document proving your relationship with them, such as a birth certificate. Also, provide materials of your parents to show their financial ability: bank statement, citification of property and vehicles, deposit certificate, etc.

Conditional offer can be used to apply for a study permit. If you have doubts, you can combine your offer letter and the communication emails together when you upload the materials.

Thank you so much for the detailed response. I am still trying to decide on whether to apply non SDS and if I do if I should mention that my course has a work term. Wondering if having a work permit for the term makes my visa take longer to get approved.

Kimberly Farley

May 16, 2022
Category........
STUDY
App. Filed.......
30-04-2022
Med's Done....
06-05-2022
Thank you so much for the detailed response. I am still trying to decide on whether to apply non SDS and if I do if I should mention that my course has a work term. Wondering if having a work permit for the term makes my visa take longer to get approved.
If you are qualified for both sds and non-sds, the main determining factors will be the processing time and your financial status. If you are worried about time, go for the fast one (although which one is faster is a mystery...); if your financial status is not so good and your case is complex (depending on the consistency between your past education/work experience with your program), sds stream is better because it is more likely for the VO to carefully check your SOP.

For your second question, just answer "yes" when it asks whether work is a necessary component of your program. It won't lead to longer processing time, and you will have a separate slot to upload the proof (usually the LOA containing coop information).

Raj12344321

Apr 21, 2022
If you are qualified for both sds and non-sds, the main determining factors will be the processing time and your financial status. If you are worried about time, go for the fast one (although which one is faster is a mystery...); if your financial status is not so good and your case is complex (depending on the consistency between your past education/work experience with your program), sds stream is better because it is more likely for the VO to carefully check your SOP.

For your second question, just answer "yes" when it asks whether work is a necessary component of your program. It won't lead to longer processing time, and you will have a separate slot to upload the proof (usually the LOA containing coop information).
I don't think my financials are weak but my parents are funding for me. And my work/education should be upto par.

Also thanks for the information. My LOA doesn't have coop information but my university has a separate letter which I'll be asking for. I was just worried since this would be a work permit it would increase processing time. That's literally my biggest concern now. :(

Kimberly Farley

May 16, 2022
Category........
STUDY
App. Filed.......
30-04-2022
Med's Done....
06-05-2022
I don't think my financials are weak but my parents are funding for me. And my work/education should be upto par.

Also thanks for the information. My LOA doesn't have coop information but my university has a separate letter which I'll be asking for. I was just worried since this would be a work permit it would increase processing time. That's literally my biggest concern now. :(
It’s a co-op or intern work permit, so it doesn’t take extra time for processing. If your study permit is approved and you have provided the right proof for work requirement, you will be approved for the work permit for your coop/internship too!

So don’t worry about it. I’m sure things will work out well for you.

Also you can check this webpage for some related information

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/intern.html

Raj12344321

Apr 21, 2022
It’s a co-op or intern work permit, so it doesn’t take extra time for processing. If your study permit is approved and you have provided the right proof for work requirement, you will be approved for the work permit for your coop/internship too!

So don’t worry about it. I’m sure things will work out well for you.

Also you can check this webpage for some related information

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/intern.html
Hey thank you for the help so far. I had another question. If I pay an entire years tuition fees minus my exemption amount but select "No" when asked if I have paid a years tuition fees in advance , so that I can avail the non SDS option, does it impact my profile negatively? Will they reject it stating that it should be under SDS?

May 23, 2022
Hi,

I'm also in a fix, i will be applying for the visa in mid June and have been hearing that non SDS route is taking less than 20 days

Anyone who applied via SDS and got their visa within the 8/9 weeks ?

Kboy89

May 23, 2022
Hi,

You really doing great job! I appreciate your kind help and sincerity helping out. Most persons will give you answers to what they don’t have idea of.

but your case differs… God bless you

Kimberly Farley

May 16, 2022
Category........
STUDY
App. Filed.......
30-04-2022
Med's Done....
06-05-2022
Hey thank you for the help so far. I had another question. If I pay an entire years tuition fees minus my exemption amount but select "No" when asked if I have paid a years tuition fees in advance , so that I can avail the non SDS option, does it impact my profile negatively? Will they reject it stating that it should be under SDS?
When filling out the questionnaire, there is a note saying "This information is for reference only and no immigration decision will be made based on your answers. If you choose to apply, your application will be considered by an immigration officer in accordance with the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, without regard to any outcome you attain through this questionnaire", so I don't think it will result in a rejection.

That being said, I want to make sure if you really need to "lie" in the questionnaire to enter the Non-SDS stream. One "No" to certain questions can get you into the Non-SDS stream, including:
  • Have you had a medical exam performed by an IRCC authorized panel physician (doctor) within the last 12 months?
  • Do you have a Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) of at least $10,000?
  • Did you pay your first year's tuition in full?
  • Have you taken a language test in the past 2 years? and Were all your results for listening, reading, writing and speaking on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) a 6.0 or higher?
If your answers are all yes, I recommend changing the answer for upfront medical exam to NO, because the Non-SDS stream doesn't have separate slot for upfront medical exam anyway, and you can always submit it in your client information.