+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I have my COPR, now what?

Perkles

May 29, 2012
My wife has received in the mail her Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR). There are two documents, one with her passport photo and one without. Let it be known that I believe our immigration process is a lot more confusing and difficult than it should be; having said that, I have some questions.

The 'instructions' that came with the forms are somewhat clear, but other than telling us to produce the documents at the border to the agency officer and that, after some questions, he'll authorize her admission as a permanent resident into Canada.

That seems clear enough, but I've been told by the people here in BC that my wife can apply for things like medical insurance, drivers licensce with her COPR document. That leads me to believe that, even though we have to wait in the mail to get the actual permanent residency card, the agent should give us a copy of the COPR that we can use to start the process of medical coverage.

Can anyone tell me what it is that happens after my wife comes through the border, after giving the agent her COPR? I realize that she won't be able to leave the country to travel without applying for a travel document (not an issue, we're not planning on traveling anytime soon).

Thanks again for any help, this forum has been truly invaluable to us throughout the process.

sakamath

Feb 11, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi, India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2008
Doc's Request.
Nov 2011
AOR Received.
17-May-2012
File Transfer...
8 Mar 2012
Med's Request
26-Nov-2012
Med's Done....
24-Dec-2012
Passport Req..
26-Nov-2012
VISA ISSUED...
App abandoned in July '14
Perkles said:
Can anyone tell me what it is that happens after my wife comes through the border, after giving the agent her COPR? I realize that she won't be able
Congratulations! Hope you both would have a nice time in Canada.

After arriving, your spouse would have to meet an immigration officer at the airport. Where both would stamp, date and sign on both copies of COPR. One would be handed back to your spouse. Ensure that ALL INFORMATION on the COPR are correct (names, date of birth etc etc), if any corrections needs to be made, inform the immigration officer - they would note the corrections on both the copies. They would also ask for a mailing address in Canada. Provide one, if you have it. It is at this address your spouse would receive the PR Card (to be used for returning back to Canada). It takes a little over 2 months.

Now hold on to your copy of the COPR with your dear life, as not only would you need to show this for health card, driver's license etc etc, but long after, when your spouse becomes eligible for pension (if at all the govt intends to disburse it at that time :-[ ), you would need an 'original' COPR to apply for the same.

Cheers~

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
I'm in BC as well. The officer will give you the COPR signed ( the one without the picture, he will keep the one with the picture to issue the PR card, it will take about 2 months to arrive), and with that and her passport, your wife can go to any Service Canada office, and get her SIN ( it takes 10 min). The SIN card will come 10 days later to your address, but she will get a paper with the actual number, so if she needs to work, she'll be fine.
She can open a bank account with the copy of COPR ( + ID forms, ask the bank in advance). There are deals for new immigrants where you can get free banking for a year...
For MSP - I'm still in the middle of that, but it seems that if you are a resident of BC, you can add her already to your MSP, without waiting for the "3 months" period ( in BC it's actually 2 months + the remaining of the month when she lands).
if your MSP coverage is still current, you can go to the website and fill out the "MSP Account Change" form, adding her as spouse (applies to common-law as well). This will give her coverage as soon as it is processed, no 3 month waiting period - that's what I have been told, not sure it actually works, but worth a try.
Good luck, and congrats on getting it done!
Sweden

mamad2020

Star Member
Oct 14, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ankara
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You use her landing papers (COPR) to enter Canada. Then the officer will get your address and they will mail the PR cards later on in the mail. Not sure how long it will take but at least one or more months.
You can just use the conformation of landing papers to apply for SIN card, health cards and so on. Health cards won't be mailed immediately. It will take 3 months in most cases.

Aquib

Apr 19, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
March 2010
AOR Received.
JULY 2010
IELTS Request
SUBMIT WITH APPLICATION
File Transfer...
FEB 2010
Med's Request
09 FEB 2012
Med's Done....
27 Feb 2012
Interview........
Medical received 12 March
Passport Req..
15 April 2012
VISA ISSUED...
30 April 2012
LANDED..........
Sep 18 2012 Shuker Allah.
Perkles said:
My wife has received in the mail her Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR). There are two documents, one with her passport photo and one without. Let it be known that I believe our immigration process is a lot more confusing and difficult than it should be; having said that, I have some questions.

The 'instructions' that came with the forms are somewhat clear, but other than telling us to produce the documents at the border to the agency officer and that, after some questions, he'll authorize her admission as a permanent resident into Canada.

That seems clear enough, but I've been told by the people here in BC that my wife can apply for things like medical insurance, drivers licensce with her COPR document. That leads me to believe that, even though we have to wait in the mail to get the actual permanent residency card, the agent should give us a copy of the COPR that we can use to start the process of medical coverage.

Can anyone tell me what it is that happens after my wife comes through the border, after giving the agent her COPR? I realize that she won't be able to leave the country to travel without applying for a travel document (not an issue, we're not planning on traveling anytime soon).

Thanks again for any help, this forum has been truly invaluable to us throughout the process.

Congralts.

Perkles

May 29, 2012
Sweden said:
I'm in BC as well. The officer will give you the COPR signed ( the one without the picture, he will keep the one with the picture to issue the PR card, it will take about 2 months to arrive), and with that and her passport, your wife can go to any Service Canada office, and get her SIN ( it takes 10 min). The SIN card will come 10 days later to your address, but she will get a paper with the actual number, so if she needs to work, she'll be fine.
She can open a bank account with the copy of COPR ( + ID forms, ask the bank in advance). There are deals for new immigrants where you can get free banking for a year...
For MSP - I'm still in the middle of that, but it seems that if you are a resident of BC, you can add her already to your MSP, without waiting for the "3 months" period ( in BC it's actually 2 months + the remaining of the month when she lands).
if your MSP coverage is still current, you can go to the website and fill out the "MSP Account Change" form, adding her as spouse (applies to common-law as well). This will give her coverage as soon as it is processed, no 3 month waiting period - that's what I have been told, not sure it actually works, but worth a try.
Good luck, and congrats on getting it done!
Sweden
First, thanks to all the replies...nothing is as helpful as experience.

I should mention that what makes our situation a bit different is that even though we applied outland, my wife is visiting me here in Canada. As we're going through our Member of Parliament's office, they have been making enquiries into our file and since they knew she was here, they sent the two COPR forms to my address. I was under the assumption that these forms were all that were needed to start her procedure of getting medical coverage, SIN, all that stuff.

My MSP people told me yesterday that, unfortunately, they can't add her to my medical because she isn't a resident yet because she hasn't 'landed' yet (she's still technically a visitor). That's why I wanted to know what kind of paperwork she would get after she goes through the border. Now that I know she keeps one of the forms, then it makes more sense to me.

Since she's going to back home to pick up the rest of her belongings, she'll hand carry her COPR forms and present on the way back into the country. We're very fortunate that the paperwork went through so quickly, but I was kind of hoping that since she's technically approved as a permanent resident she could be added to my healthcare plan now, so that when she comes back from getting her things she'd be covered and we won't have to pay for more travellers insurance.

The three month (well, more like two plus the remainder of the month you land in Canada) waiting period looks like it's can't be waived, at least from what the woman from BC Health told me over then phone. This was the biggest source of confusion, because there are forms online like this one:

http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/msp/infoben/pdf/covering-a-spouse-or-child-who-is-an-applicant-for-permanent-resident-status-in-canada.pdf

"Ordinarily, the wait period for coverage for a spouse/child that is an applicant for permanent resident status consists of the balance of the month Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) accepts an application for permanent resident status, plus two months. In some circumstances, however, the wait period may begin on the date the application fee for permanent resident status was received by CIC. This is provided there is no significant delay between the fee being paid and the application being received by CIC. Please note that although the wait period may begin based on the date the fee is paid, proof the application has been accepted for processing by CIC is required in order to confirm eligibility."

The way I read it, I thought that since CIC accepted our application months ago, we'd be able to get coverage as soon as her COPR forms were approved. Since all fees regarding my wife's application were paid months ago, there would be no issues getting her started right away. That appears not to be the case; as far as I can tell (and what my healthcare plan people tell me) is this: if you live in BC (which I do), you have to wait the remainder of the month from when your spouse enters Canada with her COPR forms, and is processed. Anything other than that, and she's considered a visitor and can't apply for any of the benefits (health, drivers license). And yes, we must wait the required two months-plus remainder of month that she landed.

That's where I'm at right now, but if anybody else knows of any other information (or someone I can talk to regarding this), please let me know. I know there's a lot of hoops to jump through, but at least the COPR is in our hands and it's just a matter of time now. The two months wait for the PR card shouldn't be a problem as she doesn't intend on going back to visit for at least a year.

After reading about having to keep her processed COPR form for essentially the rest of her life gives me concern, lol!...are they impossible to get another copy if something happens to it? I would think that after she gets her PR card that the information on her COPR form must be written somewhere in gov't and could be retrieved if something happens to the original. Is that not the case? And she'll need it for pension reasons?...these are things that concern me, in the long-term.

Thanks again for the help, everyone. I'll post up a timeline and more detailed review of our situation when it's all said and done, in hopes that our experience might help someone else in our situation. God knows I didn't get much guidance from the CIC 'information phone line'! :D

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Perkles said:
Since she's going to back home to pick up the rest of her belongings, she'll hand carry her COPR forms and present on the way back into the country.
If you are close to the BC/USA border, you can "land" there anytime to make her an official PR as soon as possible, and you wouldn't need to wait until she goes home and back again.

Note that the CoPR sheet you have now is not an official document until the immigration officer fills it in and signs it after you "land" (so you can't apply for a SIN card with it yet).

Perkles

May 29, 2012
"If you are already enrolled in MSP under a self-administered plan and you want to add a spouse or child (other than a newborn) to your account, complete and submit this application. Your spouse or child must be a resident of British Columbia in order to qualify for benefits. Please include, with the application, photocopies of documents that verify the Canadian citizenship or immigration status of each person to be added to your account."

This was from the website, which is what the folks from my MSP people at work kept telling me. They say that until she has landed in Canada, she can't apply for healthcare coverage, even though we're holding (unprocessed) COPR forms. If anyone knows of any exemptions to this wait period (and why), I'd appreciate it. Thanks again, and sorry for the previous long post!

IslandAnnie

Nov 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-11-2012
AOR Received.
29-11-2012
File Transfer...
29-11-2012
Med's Done....
14-11-2012
Passport Req..
08-05-2013 never received, pp submitted 09-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
22-08-2013
Hi Perkles! Thanks for sharing this....my husband and I are both living in the US right now, but will coming to BC. I may be moving home before his approvals are done, but that's up in the air right now - I know I will need to do the "balance of current month + 2" for my BC Med when I return, but like you, have seen conflicting information on how my husband's coverage will work once he receives COPR. We will very much appreciate hearing updates as you proceed.

Many thanks!
Annie

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Perkles said:
"If you are already enrolled in MSP under a self-administered plan and you want to add a spouse or child (other than a newborn) to your account, complete and submit this application. Your spouse or child must be a resident of British Columbia in order to qualify for benefits. Please include, with the application, photocopies of documents that verify the Canadian citizenship or immigration status of each person to be added to your account."

This was from the website, which is what the folks from my MSP people at work kept telling me. They say that until she has landed in Canada, she can't apply for healthcare coverage, even though we're holding (unprocessed) COPR forms. If anyone knows of any exemptions to this wait period (and why), I'd appreciate it. Thanks again, and sorry for the previous long post!
If she is here on a visitor's visa, then i don't think she is a resident of BC yet. She wouldn't become a resident until she officially "lands", which she hasn't done yet.

Perkles

May 29, 2012
Rob_TO said:
If you are close to the BC/USA border, you can "land" there anytime to make her an official PR as soon as possible, and you wouldn't need to wait until she goes home and back again.

Note that the CoPR sheet you have now is not an official document until the immigration officer fills it in and signs it after you "land" (so you can't apply for a SIN card with it yet).
That was one of the options we were told from my representative at my MP's office: we could go to the US Border and get it stamped, but then that complicates a few things. Since she's going back overseas to get her things, she won't be able to get back into the country with the (completed at the US Border) COPR form because it is 'not valid for travel'. Why it's not, I have no idea...it's watermarked over both forms.

But if that completed COPR form could be used to get her back into the country, then that would be exactly what we'd do: then we could use that form to apply for medical. But then (damn, there's a lot of 'buts'!) we have to make sure she's back in Canada within 30 days after she applies to be under my MSP or else under the rules for eligibility of BC Health, she might have complications:

"If absences from Canada exceed a total of 30 days during the previously mentioned wait period or an absence of more than six months is undertaken within six months of moving to the province, eligibility may be affected."

That's from the same form I mentioned in my previous post.

I'm thinking that there's no way around the wait period, but it could be worse I suppose.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Perkles said:
she won't be able to get back into the country with the (completed at the US Border) COPR form because it is 'not valid for travel'.
You can still travel even if you "land" via a US border crossing first to become a Permanent Resident. There are basically 2 categories you would fall into:

1) If she is from a visa-exempt country, where no special visa is needed in advance to enter Canada as a tourist. In this case it would be ok to go back to your home country. Travelling back to Canada, in her home country she would claim she is travelling as a visitor/tourist and NOT as a PR. Then at the airport here, you can use the completed CoPR document as proof of PR status with the Canada immigration officer (even though it says not valid for travel). My fiancee and I just went through this process last week.

2) If she is from a country requiring special visa for Canada, you can apply for a special travel document for Permanent Residents abroad who don't have an actual PR card: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/travel.asp . You would arrange beforehand for this document from the visa office in her home country. There's a fee for this document, which i think varies by country.

Perkles

May 29, 2012
Rob_TO said:
You can still travel even if you "land" via a US border crossing first to become a Permanent Resident. There are basically 2 categories you would fall into:

1) If she is from a visa-exempt country, where no special visa is needed in advance to enter Canada as a tourist. In this case it would be ok to go back to your home country. Travelling back to Canada, in her home country she would claim she is travelling as a visitor/tourist and NOT as a PR. Then at the airport here, you can use the completed CoPR document as proof of PR status with the Canada immigration officer (even though it says not valid for travel). My fiancee and I just went through this process last week.

2) If she is from a country requiring special visa for Canada, you can apply for a special travel document for Permanent Residents abroad who don't have an actual PR card: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/travel.asp . You would arrange beforehand for this document from the visa office in her home country. There's a fee for this document, which i think varies by country.
I'm a bit worried about that one, if only because we don't know about what procedure we have to do with the embassy in her country regarding her immigration. If she declares she's a visitor in her home country at the airport, it might cause some issues...I'm not sure. And travelling with the completed CoPR form, I don't know, it worked for you but from everyone I've talked to, they say you're taking a risk. Especially since I won't be there with her when she's coming back (to help explain the situation, if required, but I'll be in the airport of course).

I would like to try as you did, though, but I'm just worried. Is there any documentation that shows you can travel with a completed CoPR form?

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
Perkles said:
I'm a bit worried about that one, if only because we don't know about what procedure we have to do with the embassy in her country regarding her immigration. If she declares she's a visitor in her home country at the airport, it might cause some issues...I'm not sure. And travelling with the completed CoPR form, I don't know, it worked for you but from everyone I've talked to, they say you're taking a risk. Especially since I won't be there with her when she's coming back (to help explain the situation, if required, but I'll be in the airport of course).

I would like to try as you did, though, but I'm just worried. Is there any documentation that shows you can travel with a completed CoPR form?
What the "not valid for travel" means is that you can not travel with ONLY that - it means that you need the passport + the COPR to be able to travel and enter Canada. I have the same info as Rob_TO: if you're from a visa exempt, you can go back as a tourist, and once you get to the border, tell them you're a PR, and they can check on the computer.

I was also already in Canada when I received the COPR so did the "landing flagpoling thing" and it was really easy ( I'm in Victoria so I actually had to get on a ferry to the US as could not walk accross the border obviously...made for a nice day trip!). I was eager to get it done as soon as I could ( got the COPR on a friday, landed on saturday...) just to have all the rest sorted - SIN, healthcare etc.

About the MSP ( for you, and IslandAnnie as well) - I just sent my request to be added to my spouse (resident in BC) - I have landed but trying to get the 2 months + something period waived.... I'll let you know. From what I understand of the process, it's not automatic, so if you call the regular MSP line, then you won't be able to do it. What you need to do is print out the MSP form ( well the canadian in the couple), then add a spouse on it manually, and enclose a letter of explanation saying that the spouse has just landed as a PR (provide copy of the signed + stamped COPR which proves it), and wait for them to take a decision. Worth a try... in the meantime I have taken for myself an insurance that will cover me no matter what, but they have a clause that you can get reimbursed the days that are not used on the insurance if your provincial coverage kicks in before - so that's what I'm hoping. If not, well I'll wait until I'm included in the MSP.

About the COPR - i have been given the same information - the original is the ONLY proof that you have landed and which day, which will be important for getting a pension. If you're a born canadian, all the info is in the system, but if not, you need to keep it in a safe place. My bank had an option of having a deposit box for one year for free (included in the bank plan for new immigrants) so for now, it's there, and I'll see about it later on! :)

I'll see what the MSP answers, but the letter left yesterday and it's Christmas soon, so I doubt we'll have an answer before January anyway!

Good luck,
Sweden

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Perkles said:

What country is her passport from?