+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I have just completed the CEC process - some advice

canadiancoops

Jan 19, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi

I thought I would post a generic thread here about some of the things I have encountered applying through the CEC process and finally getting to the end...feel free to add or ask any questions

I am fron the UK and I originally submiited an application under the FSW program. However after 1 year without an AOR I pulled it and submitted my application through CEC back on May 7th, 09. They refunded my original payment and it took about 12 weeks to receive it back

I have a partner. I have been working for RBC for the past 4 years (initially on an open work permit, and then 3 LMO approved work permits, all the time my partner has been on an open work permit attached to my approval)

I submitted the documents required for the CEC for me and my wife. All copies I sent were NOT certified. Only originals were things like reference letters from previous employment and my letter to state that I speak English (no IELTS required) I used the NOC on my work permit

I submitted the application on May7th and received my AOR (Acknowledgement of Receipt) on June 25th (however it was dated June 17th). It included my file number that I could follow on the website here https://services3.cic.gc.ca/ecas/?app=ecas&lang=en

I then received my IA (Initial Assessment) on Aug 16th, but it was dated July 26, meaning it took almost a month to get to me. In the IA it requested a medical exam, confirmed that I had my interview waived and also advised me that my police certificates were incorrect (I had used the old style one from the UK but it had changed in January to the new style (e-mail me on this if you have questions)

My medical was done on August 25th and included a 10 min chat with the Doctor that cost $180 each, she just checked heart rate and that was it basically, I have heard others experiences are more detailed. Then I went and had blood work and x-rays, both I had to pay separately with cash. All the forms that were sent from immigration department I had to give to the Doctor, who would then send all info to Buffalo with a tracking nunmber. It was sent Sep 5 and arrived there Sep11.

In the meantime I sent off the request to the UK for the new police certificates which cost about $100 per person. I received them back and submitted them September 17 to Buffalo and they were received Sept 21.

Today (Oct 26) I received an e-mail from immigration asking for my passports (they will use e-mail address if you gave them that in your application)

Now the options vary from this point onwards. I could either fly to Buffalo and see the immigration department to stamp my passport. It is open on Tuesday and Thursday between 8am and 11am as per their guidelines in the e-mail they sent me. (You need all documents sent and 3 pictures per person). YOU DO NOT NEED PROOF OF FUNDS. Then when I return to Canada I would have to land with immigration, they give me perm residency and a temp PR card, one gets sent in the mail and you then have to go to Service Canada to get your perm SIN#

The other option is to send your passports in the mail, along with 3 pictures and a pre paid return envelope for them to send the stamped passoprts back. Once received back I can either flagpole at the Us border and land or go to an official office , however waiting times can be upto 4 weeks. I have decided to choose the latter as I am in no rush as my work permit is valid until Oct 2010.

I will follow up with a new thread with my landing experience, hopefully in a month or so.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Thanks, canadiancoops! Great to hear... Looking forward to the landing experience...

I think right now, I'd like to know how you got 3 TWPs / LMOs approved :) No one seems to be having much luck in that department right now...

canadiancoops

Jan 19, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I work for RBC and was very lucky on this last time. They initially refused it, but my boss pulled some strings and RBC got an open pre approval and gave it to me within 2 weeks