+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I got sick during my first landing

Omar34

Jul 31, 2018
Hi All,
When I went to Canada for my "first landing", I got sick and went to the emergency in Niagra Falls. Because I did not have a health card, they said it will cost me around 2000 USD (or some amount like that - I forgot), and I said no problem as I was in pain. I got treated and left the emergency hospital. I gave them my hotel address.
They took a copy of my COPR and made me sign some form. But strangely, they did NOT ask me to pay anything on the spot.
I did purchase medical insurance before hand covering my short period in Canada.
What will happen now? How will I pay the cost of the hospital visit? and How do I claim it from the insurance?
Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi All,
When I went to Canada for my "first landing", I got sick and went to the emergency in Niagra Falls. Because I did not have a health card, they said it will cost me around 2000 USD (or some amount like that - I forgot), and I said no problem as I was in pain. I got treated and left the emergency hospital. I gave them my hotel address.
They took a copy of my COPR and made me sign some form. But strangely, they did NOT ask me to pay anything on the spot.
I did purchase medical insurance before hand covering my short period in Canada.
What will happen now? How will I pay the cost of the hospital visit? and How do I claim it from the insurance?
Thank you.
You'll need to check your insurance policy to determine what will be covered and how the bill will be paid. Policies aren't all the same. Generally you are required to pay the full bill and then you have to request reimbursement from your insurer. I would contact your insurer for help.

Omar34

Jul 31, 2018
Yes, thank you. But the strange thing is that the hospital did not ask me to pay anything. They showed me the prices and then after treatment, they just let me go. !!!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Yes, thank you. But the strange thing is that the hospital did not ask me to pay anything. They showed me the prices and then after treatment, they just let me go. !!!
You likely were supposed to pay but as our system is generally not set up for people to pay, it was probably missed. Contact your insurer and the hospital. The hospital will likely start collection proceedings if you don't arrange payment.

Reactions: Omar34

Steevy

May 31, 2014
Vancouver
If you have a travel/visitors to Canada insurance, first thing to do is to call your insurance provider and notify them that you had a medical emergency and were hospitalized.

You should ask them if there is a way for them to cover your bill without you having to pay upfront and getting reimbursed by the insurer later.

If they tell you that they can only reimburse you, then you will need to pay out of pocket for your emergency visit and send your receipts along with a claim form to the insurance company for reimbursement.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You likely arrived at the hospital at night or during the weekend. The billing department would not be working at that time. Given that they have a copy your COPR it is in your best interest to be proactive. Also there is likely a specific time after treatment where you must file your claim.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
You're likely to get your bill in post. If you happen to move out of your hotel, make sure you follow up with the hospital and pay the bill. May be after a week or two..