+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I got my BOWP, should I go flag poling?

Star Member
Apr 2, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
(Apparently no reply from the BOWP thread, pardon me for starting a new thread)

I have received my BOWP in the mail today, I just wonder what's the next step?

My case is a bit different, since my employer applied LMO for me and got refused, I applied the BOWP under implied status. And since I couldn't provide a positive LMO, my closed work permit application was refused as well and thus I became out of status.

I have to wait for the decision of BOWP so I havent applied for restoration of status yet.

Since restoration must be done by paper application which means another long wait, and I need to get working asap to support my living, I just wonder if I can go flag-poling? I'm from a TRV-exempt country.

Please advise. Thank you so much!

Toronto2013

Jul 18, 2013
Re: I got my BOWP, can I go flag poling?

If you have received BOWP then you can start working / apply for jobs. Flagpoling is not required.

Star Member
Apr 2, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

Toronto2013 said:
If you have received BOWP then you can start working / apply for jobs. Flagpoling is not required.
Oh really? I feel like I have to "do something" to restore my status first?

This is what I got when my close work permit was refused:

You may apply for restoration if, within 90 days from the expiry of your temporary resident status
you submit:
 a completed application form;
 applicable fees for restoration and for the immigration document(s) in the amount of $355.00. Payments should be made online at www.cic.gc.ca. When you are finished, you must print the receipt of payment and include it with your application. If you are unable to pay online, please contact the Immigration Call Centre, toll free, at 1-888-242-2100.
 all required documents in support of your application.
Please consult the section “Restoration of status” in the application guide: “Applying to change conditions or extend your stay in Canada”. Restoration applies to each member who has lost accepted.

LPS

Champion Member
Aug 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-08-2013
AOR Received.
07-10-2013
Med's Request
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
26-03-2014
LANDED..........
09-04-2014

^ You received your BOWP, which makes restoration of your old expired work permit unnecessary.

LPS

Champion Member
Aug 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-08-2013
AOR Received.
07-10-2013
Med's Request
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
26-03-2014
LANDED..........
09-04-2014

As a side note - you said "I applied the BOWP under implied status" - were you already in implied status when you applied for your BOWP? And you received it?

Star Member
Apr 2, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

LPS said:
As a side note - you said "I applied the BOWP under implied status" - were you already in implied status when you applied for your BOWP? And you received it?
YES! I think I am a first.

My employer got a call from Service Canada and notified that the LMO application was not successful.
Then I received an email from CIC requesting to provide a positive LMO before a date, which obviously wasn't possible.
I applied BOWP while I was still on implied status.
I wrote a very detailed cover letter describing my situation and quoting all the LMO-related references. Plus an offer letter from my employer stating I am hired once I got my BOWP and attached the employment contract.

My employer and I have not received any inquires from CIC, and after about 4 weeks, the BOWP is in the mail.

Star Member
Apr 2, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

LPS said:
^ You received your BOWP, which makes restoration of your old expired work permit unnecessary.
GREAT!! Thanks so much!

I think my next step is to apply for new SIN card?

LPS

Champion Member
Aug 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-08-2013
AOR Received.
07-10-2013
Med's Request
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
26-03-2014
LANDED..........
09-04-2014
^ That's very interesting... it's not supposed to be possible to apply for a BOWP during a restoration period (i.e. after the old work permit has expired) - but as they say, the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Yes renew your SIN, and your provincial health coverage if you are eligible.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
LPS said:
^ That's very interesting... it's not supposed to be possible to apply for a BOWP during a restoration period (i.e. after the old work permit has expired) - but as they say, the proof of the pudding is in the eating.
Agree, that is very unusual. For others reading this, I think it should be considered an exception, not a rule - the VO must have exercised some discretion on this (must have been a very good letter!) to maintain the "spirit" of the BOWP...