Apr 20, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
14-02-2013
Ok....Right now I am listening "Just a Dream" by Carrie Underwood...I feel lonely because my wife is working.....

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013

sommer

Apr 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28 March 2012
sop194 said:
Interesting thread. I hope your things work out.
I was pondering same kind of a thoughts today.. I've been together with my boyfriend for a few years and we been planning to get married.
As we have discussed things through and thought, that I go to Canada and we get married and apply inland. Tho, I would be in Canada with visitor status.
I could stay first for 6 months as a visitor and then apply for more. Does anyone know that, how much extended time you can get for your visa?
Because then, if it would be under a year, the application would not be processed (if it takes round about a year) and then I'd have to leave the country and... not good.
Feels like head exploding with this haha
If you are married in Canada and you are in visitor visa, you can simply extend the visa by saying that you are married (include the marriage certificate as well) and that you are on process of getting a Permanent resident. You do not need to say how long you want, they will grant you 12 months then you will have to extend it again if your PR is not done by then.

No need to worry and good luck!

PS: I am married in Canada on my visitor visa, applied PR inland and had to extend my visa twice the same way and it had been just okay. no hassle what soever.

nataliew83

Sep 8, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-09-2012
AOR Received.
24-11-2012
Med's Request
20-02-2013
Med's Done....
21-02-2013
Hi, I had a few questions about the residency process and extension of visitor status...

I submitted my application for residency under the family class/common law from inside Canada, my application was received sept 6 2012, my sponsor had an email dated 27 November that they had received the application, and it is now showing as 'in process' on the CIC website.

I was in Canada on a working holiday visa from October 15 2011 to October 15 2012, and when I entered Canada after going on vacation on sept 20th 2012 I was given a visitor stamp by the border agent and told I was okay for six months. (even after my whv ran out) We then left for a weekend trip to the us and when I read-entered the border agent asked why I had the stamp. I explained and she said follow up with cic, so I submitted an extension of visitor status online (which would change my status from worker to visitor) and currently have implied status. I put on the application that I wanted to extend my stay due to living with my fiance and having my residency application in progress. I also mentioned the visitor stamp I was given and included a copy in the supporting documents.

Now that my application shows in progress would they be able to see that when they are deciding on giving me an extension?
I'm just starting to worry myself so any help is appreciated I wasn't sure where to post this

neha_arora1985

Star Member
Feb 6, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov 14, 2013
AOR Received.
Dec 19, 2013
IELTS Request
Sent with an App
Hi Miuyeah,
If you have already applied for visa extension and you didn't get anything from visa office then you can stay here untill you will get any decision from the visa. It doesn't matter that your permit is expired or not. You can stay here and just wait for the decision.

AnaMaria

May 2, 2012
New Westminster, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-05-2012
AOR Received.
09-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
04-05-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
08-11-2012
LANDED..........
30-11-2012!
neha_arora1985 said:
Hi Miuyeah,
If you have already applied for visa extension and you didn't get anything from visa office then you can stay here untill you will get any decision from the visa. It doesn't matter that your permit is expired or not. You can stay here and just wait for the decision.
Decision was already made, rejected. She has to leave.

Kev1n

Nov 11, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/06/2014
AOR Received.
01/08/2014
File Transfer...
01/08/2014 ( 26/09/2014--AOR2)
Med's Request
14/10/2014
Med's Done....
17/08/2013
Passport Req..
14/10/2014
nataliew83 said:
Hi, I had a few questions about the residency process and extension of visitor status...

I submitted my application for residency under the family class/common law from inside Canada, my application was received sept 6 2012, my sponsor had an email dated 27 November that they had received the application, and it is now showing as 'in process' on the CIC website.

I was in Canada on a working holiday visa from October 15 2011 to October 15 2012, and when I entered Canada after going on vacation on sept 20th 2012 I was given a visitor stamp by the border agent and told I was okay for six months. (even after my whv ran out) We then left for a weekend trip to the us and when I read-entered the border agent asked why I had the stamp. I explained and she said follow up with cic, so I submitted an extension of visitor status online (which would change my status from worker to visitor) and currently have implied status. I put on the application that I wanted to extend my stay due to living with my fiance and having my residency application in progress. I also mentioned the visitor stamp I was given and included a copy in the supporting documents.

Now that my application shows in progress would they be able to see that when they are deciding on giving me an extension?
I'm just starting to worry myself so any help is appreciated I wasn't sure where to post this
Did you read all this thread your questions should have been answered here

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
nataliew83 said:

Stage 1 is really only for the sponsor, not the applicant. It's not "your" application until Stage 2. However, CIC does track things, so there's a good chance it will pop up. However, if they're uncertain, they will ask for proof and you can send them a screen print. Hopefully you provided them with something with your partner's name on it, just to make cross referencing easy ;)

Comflakes

Nov 1, 2011
Amikety, thanks for the information. What does the UDI mean? I will probably just send in OWP application with the submitted PR application instead of renewing the Visitor Visa.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Comflakes said:
Amikety, thanks for the information. What does the UDI mean? I will probably just send in OWP application with the submitted PR application instead of renewing the Visitor Visa.
I don't know the exact words for UDI... it's Universal Something Identifier. It's your Immigration client number basically. I'm somewhat embarassed as I was known at work as the Queen of Abbreviations.

The OWP is the best idea :) Makes life a little easier!

nataliew83

Sep 8, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-09-2012
AOR Received.
24-11-2012
Med's Request
20-02-2013
Med's Done....
21-02-2013
amikety said:
Stage 1 is really only for the sponsor, not the applicant. It's not "your" application until Stage 2. However, CIC does track things, so there's a good chance it will pop up. However, if they're uncertain, they will ask for proof and you can send them a screen print. Hopefully you provided them with something with your partner's name on it, just to make cross referencing easy ;)
Thanks for your reply!

Thank you, hopefully it will pop up!
I did send his paystub as well with mine from when i was working, so his name is on there as he supports me, hopefully if they need anything else they will let me know and I'll send it to them ASAP, I'll keep an eye out from any email from CIC,
Thank you for putting my mind at rest :)

Franzi

Star Member
Jan 23, 2012
GTA
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-15-2012 (received 05-17-2012)
Doc's Request.
10-12-2012 additional information req.
AOR Received.
Vienna 09-26-2012, in process 10-09-2012, DM 01-18-2013
File Transfer...
20-08-2012
Med's Done....
20-04-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
visa exempt
VISA ISSUED...
issues 14-01-2013, received COPR 30-01-2013
LANDED..........
February 05, 2013!!!!!!!!!
sommer said:
If you are married in Canada and you are in visitor visa, you can simply extend the visa by saying that you are married (include the marriage certificate as well) and that you are on process of getting a Permanent resident. You do not need to say how long you want, they will grant you 12 months then you will have to extend it again if your PR is not done by then.
Unfortunately, this was not the case for me. You don't automatically get a 12 months extension. I changed my status from working to visitor and got 6 months (married but no application sent at this point), and then when I extended it I got another 6 months (married and application sent at this point).

Just wanted to share my experience!

ZebraJCH

Star Member
Jan 9, 2012
EDIT: THE BELOW ONLY APPLIES TO IN-LAND.

This is what tuyen told me in another thread, if anyone feels like this helps them or feels like disputing this then feel free as I'm sure he'll pop in to clarify things a bit more. I also may be posting this within the wrong context but it was told to me under the context of me being a US citizen immigrating to Canada being sponsored by my husband.

tuyen said:
As soon as you submit your application for spousal sponsorship, you're automatically allowed to stay in Canada until you receive a final yes/no decision on the application (assuming your sponsor passes the Stage 1 approval process). You don't have to file any more extensions.

If your sponsor is approved for Stage 1 AND you're approved in Stage 2 as the applicant, then you don't have to worry about any more extensions because the approval of the spousal sponsorship lets you stay in Canada permanently (subject to the new two-year cohabitation requirement that was introduced in October of 2012).
I just feel that it is strange hearing about all of these extensions during the process when according to this you shouldn't really need them due to implied status and how it was explained above.

If this is wrong or under the wrong context, sorry. If it is helpful, thank him.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
ZebraJCH said:
This is what tuyen told me in another thread, if anyone feels like this helps them or feels like disputing this then feel free as I'm sure he'll pop in to clarify things a bit more. I also may be posting this within the wrong context but it was told to me under the context of me being a US citizen immigrating to Canada being sponsored by my husband.

I just feel that it is strange hearing about all of these extensions during the process when according to this you shouldn't really need them due to implied status and how it was explained above.

If this is wrong or under the wrong context, sorry. If it is helpful, thank him.
What he said, is for inland. Whereas for outland, you still have to apply for extensions :)

ZebraJCH

Star Member
Jan 9, 2012
Thanks, sometimes it is extremely easy to lose track of in-land and out-land when looking at these things.