+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I can't link an application to my cic account

Heidi92

Dec 26, 2017
I am applying for my parent and my mother is the primary applicant. I accidentally revoke the original account (because I didn't know the meaning of the word 'revoke' and I feel like an adventure, a stupid mistake anyway). I was trying to link both my parents' application to the new account but unfortunately, I could not do this with my father's application. Maybe you can only link the primary applicant? I really don't know the reason. I have all the correct information (it's my father, I know everything about him) and I am very sure I filled the exact answers that I used for the application. I have the original forms as references. Has anyone had any idea? I emailed, submitted web forms, but no one reply. I tried to call, but their number is only for people who live in Canada. I live in the States.

UPDATES:
I successfully linked my father's application (finally)! The trick is 'city/town of birth' column. For my father's example, he was born in City A which belongs to Province B in China. In this case, A was not working, instead, B was the correct answer. I never used, or even mentioned B in the original forms.

If this is hard for you to understand, just imagine I put Los Angeles as his birthplace when I applied (and I have the original forms to prove that), but the system only recognizes California as his birthplace (and I never ever used California during the application). I don't understand this system, but I am happy I finally linked his application to the current account.

FYI, when I linked my mother's, I simply used City A, and it worked well. So, this is a pretty fucked up system.

Last edited:

Jasdir

Star Member
Nov 8, 2013
Forms are electronically readed by the system.

Also focus on all Capital letters, Small letters, Spaces etc. that you used while filling your original form.

Try linking with the same.

Regards!
~Jasdir.

Heidi92

Dec 26, 2017
Forms are electronically readed by the system.

Also focus on all Capital letters, Small letters, Spaces etc. that you used while filling your original form.

Try linking with the same.

Regards!
~Jasdir.
Thanks, but I tried and tried still the same result. I literally checked every letter but so far I still can't link the application. Just curious, do you know how could CIC contact the applicant under this circumstance? How can I know the result if I can't receive messages anymore?

Omairi7

Sep 29, 2017
Change the details and apply for a new gc key account. For that u can make a new email id. Do you save a copy of visa form ?

Heidi92

Dec 26, 2017
Change the details and apply for a new gc key account. For that u can make a new email id. Do you save a copy of visa form ?
yes, now I have two GcKEY accounts, one for me one for my mom. I tried to link my dad's application to both accounts but neither worked. I could not receive any updates about my father's application now. So frustrated.

Omairi7

Sep 29, 2017
yes, now I have two GcKEY accounts, one for me one for my mom. I tried to link my dad's application to both accounts but neither worked. I could not receive any updates about my father's application now. So frustrated.
Make a separate account for dad.

Jasdir

Star Member
Nov 8, 2013
Thanks, but I tried and tried still the same result. I literally checked every letter but so far I still can't link the application. Just curious, do you know how could CIC contact the applicant under this circumstance? How can I know the result if I can't receive messages anymore?
Option1: Report a technical issue using the same account. Cic have different team resolving this issue.

Option 2: Keep tabs on your VFS tracking ID to know the status of application.

Regards!
Jasdir.

leofcb

Jan 28, 2019
Hi,
I mistakenly revoke my GCkey Account 3 days ago. I created a new account and linked my old application to this new one.
everything is ok.
you should just enter the information correctly based on your original forms. I used this information
category: temporary resident
subcategory: study permit & extension
My application number & UCI number,
my passport info,
and date of start program and end date, and DLI number.
So the system could find my application.