+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

I applied for Refugee status but...

luisdneza

Nov 29, 2012
I applied for Refugee and I'm still waiting for my hearing. My question is can I bring my wife and daughter into the application in they come to visit me? They both are US Citizens and are planning of coming to Canada to visit me.

Quesney

Aug 19, 2013
Hey
During the refugee status determination(RSD) hearing(interview) you need to talk about your family and their whereabouts.There is no problem for them visiting you.Are(were) they recognise refugees?If so, and you all fled for the same reasons, you should apply for family reunification.Both Canada and US refugee offices will work on a way to reunite you.If they are(were) not recognised refugees, then you can include them in your file and they will become refugees automatically when you do. The only thing to worry about is to prove to the office that you have a well founded fear of persecution in your home Country.Hope this helps a bit? ;)

Optymystyc

Star Member
Aug 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jun 2011
File Transfer...
DM - 27th Aug 2013
Med's Request
Dec 2012
Med's Done....
Dec 2012
LANDED..........
28th Oct 2013
Quesney said:
Hey
During the refugee status determination(RSD) hearing(interview) you need to talk about your family and their whereabouts.There is no problem for them visiting you.Are(were) they recognise refugees?If so, and you all fled for the same reasons, you should apply for family reunification.Both Canada and US refugee offices will work on a way to reunite you.If they are(were) not recognised refugees, then you can include them in your file and they will become refugees automatically when you do. The only thing to worry about is to prove to the office that you have a well founded fear of persecution in your home Country.Hope this helps a bit? ;)
I thought he identified them as US citizens? Wouldn't the question be, why didn't she file for him if they are citizens? Not sure. Just speculating.

brighthope

Sep 26, 2013
Optymystyc said:
I thought he identified them as US citizens? Wouldn't the question be, why didn't she file for him if they are citizens? Not sure. Just speculating.
In the US, depending on where the spouse is from, it is very hard to gain approval for spousal visas and/or refugees. Her being a US citizen may preclude him from being able to claim refuge there, since they would ask why she didn't just try for a spousal visa. But again, depending on where he is from, a spouse visa may be next to impossible for them to obtain.