+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Husband refused PR from Delhi embassy I am pregnant.

Amanda Singh

Oct 16, 2017
I am a metis Canadian from Saskatchewan Canada. My husband is a Punjabi Indian from Punjab India, he was refused his PR visa sighting not enough proof to show a genuine relationship. The visa officer was bias and decided before the interview that she did not trust us or believe his family would accept me. There was no amount of evidence to convince her. My husband and I have known each other since January of 2016 we met through facebook and became good friends, dated starting April 2016 and decided to marry quickly July 30 2016. We were quick to marry particularly because of me. I was turning 40 the next year and once I found the man of my dreams was eager to start the happiest part of my life. My husband is 27 and more of a man then any I have ever dated. I have a child from a previous common law relationship. She is 7yrs old.

I was in India to marry my husband for two weeks, then again in May to visit because we missed each other so much. I ended up getting pregnant during my 2nd visit much to our surprise and happiness. It is now October of 2017 and we have been refused the visa. I am due January 28th and now have no idea if my husband will be here for my delivery. I am terribly depressed, absolutely sick. My husband is most kind and just worries about me and my child and baby. All of the stress of the appeal is now on me. I have been constantly searching my next steps and trying to figure out where to find money to support my growing family. My husband will figure out the cost of the appeal and pay.

I love my husband with all of my heart. He comes from a Punjabi background and his family all accept and love me. My family took a bit longer but now that they are getting to see our happiness and love, they have also excepted him. I will be submitting the appeal notice and evidence together after getting advice from the immigration resources here. I have also submitted an urgent appeal to reverse the decision based on medical need (my upcoming delivery) and as much new proofs as possible. I have sent this proof and urgent request for decision reversal to the Delhi embassy, The Minister of immigration, and the Prime Minister in hopes it gets dealt with fairly. I am sure this is overkill but I am desperate for my amazing husband to be with me for the delivery and subsequently one of the best days of our lives. I have been advised we should have him apply for a visitor visa but have been told it will be next to impossible to acquire since he has such strong ties in Canada. We also are both not well off. I own no property and have a child to care for. He lives with his family and helps at times with carpentry work. We are both comfortable and are okay, have food to eat and a roof so we count these blessings from God and appreciate them. I just really need to find a way to have him here.

Any suggestions are fine. I have gotten very thick skinned in regards to others opinions since starting our relationship. The stereotype of the Indian man marrying the Canadian women for PR is a bias across the board on both sides of the boarder. Any one who does know us....knows we are a perfect couple together and blessed beyond belief. Its unfortunate that this stereotype follows us so closely when in reality its often (not always) the arranged marriages between two punjabis that are the actual culprits of marrying for PR. Fortunately for them since arranged marriage is the cultural norm they do not need to provide proof of relationship or knowledge about each other, in the way my husband and I have. Its really very backwards and frustrating to me.
Any suggestions appreciated. Reminder money is a factor. As is time.

Last edited:

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
You had some serious hurdles to overcome from the word go and you'll need to focus on those hurdles to overcome them on appeal. It's not only the difference in background as you assume. The age difference is going to be a huge red flag as well, because in his culture, it is NOT common for a man to marry a woman much older than him and especially not one that already has children and a 'past'. Be sure to get your file notes so you know exactly the reasons they denied his visa and work on putting those concerns to rest to get a positive appeal.

Your other option would be to not do an appeal, get a copy of your case notes, find the reasons for the denial, reapply and be sure to fully address those concerns. I feel that might be a quicker option than appeal, but it is your case.

Either way, best of luck to you.

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I agree that you do have some hurdles to overcome. Regardless of what you do, I unfortunately don't see any options that will get your husband to Canada by January. Your options are either to appeal or reapply. Both of these take time.

I would recommend that you join and spend time reading through the posts in the appeals thread below. This is where most of the discussions about appeals are and there's a great deal of very good information there from others who either have gone or are going through the process:

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/all-spouse-appeal-cases-come-here-and-join-us-plz.87619/page-721

Amanda Singh

Oct 16, 2017
You had some serious hurdles to overcome from the word go and you'll need to focus on those hurdles to overcome them on appeal. It's not only the difference in background as you assume. The age difference is going to be a huge red flag as well, because in his culture, it is NOT common for a man to marry a woman much older than him and especially not one that already has children and a 'past'. Be sure to get your file notes so you know exactly the reasons they denied his visa and work on putting those concerns to rest to get a positive appeal.

Your other option would be to not do an appeal, get a copy of your case notes, find the reasons for the denial, reapply and be sure to fully address those concerns. I feel that might be a quicker option than appeal, but it is your case.

Either way, best of luck to you.

We had thought of just reapplying but immigration resources as well as the literature they provided state that it helped to prove genuineness by appealing. I had suggested reapplying but they think the same red flags would come up and it would be a gamble on who he got for an interview next time. That could possibly put us in the same boat in a year. I am just so tired and so upset. We were honestly so confident in our relationship we never even expected this outcome. We had no idea of the seriousness of an interview and what it entailed. The proof provided was so much and then a baby....its pretty obvious that we have a genuine relationship. This whole process is so difficult and upsetting. I had no idea before this how hard it all was. I feel for every person who tries to immigrate. I had no idea one visa officers opinions could decide all and disregard all evidence in such a way.

Amanda Singh

Oct 16, 2017
I agree that you do have some hurdles to overcome. Regardless of what you do, I unfortunately don't see any options that will get your husband to Canada by January. Your options are either to appeal or reapply. Both of these take time.

I would recommend that you join and spend time reading through the posts in the appeals thread below. This is where most of the discussions about appeals are and there's a great deal of very good information there from others who either have gone or are going through the process:

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/all-spouse-appeal-cases-come-here-and-join-us-plz.87619/page-721
Thanks so much for your imput. I feel so helpless. Its really nothing I saw coming. I was very naive to this process.

starnaenae

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
March 1 2017
Doc's Request.
March 27, 2017, July 10, 2017
AOR Received.
AOR 1:March 17 2017 AOR 2: May 10, 2017
File Transfer...
April 8, 2017
Med's Request
Upfront - PASSED
Med's Done....
December 12 2016
Interview........
NOT REQUIRED
Passport Req..
March 5, 2018
VISA ISSUED...
March 13, 2018
LANDED..........
April 30, 2018
Being pregnant isnt a medical issue and will have no bearing on a decision being made or rushing an application.

Amanda Singh

Oct 16, 2017
Being pregnant isnt a medical issue and will have no bearing on a decision being made or rushing an application.

Maybe so but it is the advice I was given by the embassy both times I called. They said they could not understand why I would be refused and sighted an error. Stating to title my email: urgent medical assistance. I have fingers crossed that anything good happens.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
When you have red flags, it's important to understand what they are and find a way to overcome them in your application - either through addressing them directly or through providing sufficient other evidence that proves your relationship is genuine.

You unfortunately have a number of them and need to understand what they are for either the reapplication or appeal. The ones I see:

- Online meeting
- Extremely fast marriage
- Age gap that is extremely unusual for his culture (this is a big one)
- The fact you have a child, which is once again unusual for his culture
- Different religions

Good luck deciding what you're going to do next. I would focus on either appealing the PR refusal or reapplying. Don't bother applying for a visitor visa - it's going to be refused.

Amanda Singh

Oct 16, 2017
When you have red flags, it's important to understand what they are and find a way to overcome them in your application - either through addressing them directly or through providing sufficient other evidence that proves your relationship is genuine.

You unfortunately have a number of them and need to understand what they are for either the reapplication or appeal. The ones I see:

- Online meeting
- Extremely fast marriage
- Age gap that is extremely unusual for his culture (this is a big one)
- The fact you have a child, which is once again unusual for his culture
- Different religions

Good luck deciding what you're going to do next. I would focus on either appealing the PR refusal or reapplying. Don't bother applying for a visitor visa - it's going to be refused.
Yes I agree. We may try for a long shot anyway. We were just so confident in us we did not look from the outside enough. We believed that after marriage it would not matter. We were so wrong to assume so. If I could turn back time I would have been careful to not get pregnant till he was here. To be honest we did not expect this pregnancy although I wanted more children. I was not sure it was possible. I feel awful he will not be here for the birth of our son!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes I agree. We may try for a long shot anyway. We were just so confident in us we did not look from the outside enough. We believed that after marriage it would not matter. We were so wrong to assume so. If I could turn back time I would have been careful to not get pregnant till he was here. To be honest we did not expect this pregnancy although I wanted more children. I was not sure it was possible. I feel awful he will not be here for the birth of our son!
If money is an issue - please don't apply for the visitor visa. It's not a long shot - there's zero chance it's going to be approved. Sorry.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
As already said, you have significant red flags. I would expand a bit on the previous list given by scylla to add:

- marrying the first time you actually met in person
- very little time actually spent together in person throughout the relationship

starnaenae

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
March 1 2017
Doc's Request.
March 27, 2017, July 10, 2017
AOR Received.
AOR 1:March 17 2017 AOR 2: May 10, 2017
File Transfer...
April 8, 2017
Med's Request
Upfront - PASSED
Med's Done....
December 12 2016
Interview........
NOT REQUIRED
Passport Req..
March 5, 2018
VISA ISSUED...
March 13, 2018
LANDED..........
April 30, 2018
Maybe so but it is the advice I was given by the embassy both times I called. They said they could not understand why I would be refused and sighted an error. Stating to title my email: urgent medical assistance. I have fingers crossed that anything good happens.
Im
Pregnant. Due jan 9 and a high risk pregnancy and it has NO bearing whatsoever. IRCC has clearly indicated its not a medical condition. Good luck

JulianaAndrew

Feb 14, 2017
Colombia
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Bogota
App. Filed.......
26-07-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A and PCC: 01-09-2017
AOR Received.
AOR1: 01-09-2017, AOR2: 19-09-2017
File Transfer...
15-09-2017
Med's Request
02-01-2018
Med's Done....
23-01-2018
Interview........
06-12-2017 - Passed
Passport Req..
06-12-2017
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2018
LANDED..........
10-03-2018
As already said, you have significant red flags. I would expand a bit on the previous list given by scylla to add:

- marrying the first time you actually met in person
- very little time actually spent together in person throughout the relationship
Are meeting first online and having spent together in person little time (2 months in person - two visits - throughout 14 months of relationship) unequivocally red flags? In my case, we met in person almost 8 months after starting our relationship in April 2016, met in December 2016, then got married during the second visit in July. We first met online in September, 2015.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Are meeting first online and having spent together in person little time (2 months in person - two visits - throughout 14 months of relationship) unequivocally red flags? In my case, we met in person almost 8 months after starting our relationship in April 2016, met in December 2016, then got married during the second visit in July. We first met online in September, 2015.
Meeting online is not generally a red flag. Many people meet online these days. Marrying on the first visit and spending little time in person throughout the relationship are red flags.

Reactions: Mari_8

Amanda Singh

Oct 16, 2017
Yes I realize it's unusual. We spend almost all day on the phone everyday. Nothing seemed diffrent in his presence other then we could be physical. Let's be honest here pls we had a form of even a physical relationship on line. Arranged marriages may meet for sweets and tea one time and know nothing about each other. Yet have not a single issue immigrating. I knew what I wanted in a man and a husband and I went out and found him. I met him through a mutual friend online I pursued him. I had no doubt he was right and have never regretted a day. I dated younger Indian men since splitting with my ex. It's what I was attracted to. I have never had an issue finding relationships here or abroad. I have dated many here. Yes I know the cultural norms....and to be honest we just broke them. We did not feel need for others approvals. His family is honestly the kindest people. They were easy to convince they always say it's his choice and they're always with him. We have no issue at all there but we did not share my age with the relatives out of the home. They all assume I am 30. I dont look old. As for my little one she calls him Dad and Mama G.. Grandma and is so excited to meet her aunts. ❤

Last edited: