+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to travel when waiting for PR card??

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rob_TO said:
So we arrived back in Canada yesterday... and just to confirm for anyone else in same situation there was zero issues with not having the actual PR card while travelling.

In Cancun airport the check-in person at Westjet asked if my fiancee (Korean passport) lived in Canada. She said "yes" (since we do), so she asked to see PR card. I just stated she's travelling as a tourist, and passport is visa-exempt... and that was good enough and no more questions asked.

Arriving in Canada, the immigration officer easily took the COPR as proof (even though it states "not valid for travel"), and just matched up the landing date on COPR with stamp in passport from Canada on landing date. No issues or delay at all.
Excellent, welcome back :)

Just for people who see this in the future: The CoPR isn't valid for travel but it is proof of status once you are at the border itself.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
OhCanadiana said:
The CoPR isn't valid for travel but it is proof of status once you are at the border itself.
Right. So we didn't even attempt to use the COPR at Cancun airport, since to them it's a useless document. Outside of Canada it's travelling as a tourist only!

We were prepared to buy a refundable return ticket from Westjet on the spot since i've heard of some airlines demanding proof you are eventually leaving Canada even if on visa-exempt passport... but luckily it wasn't required.

lakwachero

Aug 23, 2016
Hi there,

I have a similar situation. My husband (from Spain) got his PR this Mon Sept 25th, we're waiting for his card which should come end of November. That said, we had planned a weekend trip for my b-day in NYC which we had booked a months ago not knowing he'd get his PR interview. Just wondering if there's even a point in trying to get a PR Travel Doc from the Canadian visa office in NYC, since we're only there from Fri Oct 06-Tues Oct 12, I don't even know if that's enough time to process his application. OR Should he just fly to Buffalo and we can drive him back in via private vehicle w/ his COPR? I called IRCC and they said that's allowed. OR Should he just skip the trip all together? Does it affect his PR if he goes on this trip and is denied? Is there any chance to fly back w/o the PR Travel Doc and just his COPR?

Any help/insight would be great! Thanks so much.