+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to travel when waiting for PR card??

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Hi all,

So today my fiancee did her official landing in Canada at Niagara falls with her CoPR. She is now a permanent resident, but we need to wait over 2 months for the physical PR card to be mailed.

The problem is, we already have a vacation booked to Mexico leaving in just less than 3 weeks time. And we found out that the CoPR is useless at airports as proof of PR, and when landing today they took her student visa away so she can't use that to enter Canada anymore.

I talked to the CIC today and they told us the only way to ensure proper travel is to get a Temporary Travel Document for a PR resident abroad, via the Mexico Canadian Visa office. But i can't even find a proper phone number to call them to ask if this is possible to expedite in less than 3 weeks time.

So, does anyone have any experiences in travelling outside Canada as a Permanent Resident but without your actual PR card?
Or getting the temporary travel docs??

We are hoping we don't have to end up cancelling our trip... so any help or feedback is appreciated. Thanks!!

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
Hey,

Congratulations on the landing, hope all went well!

If I'm not mistaken, your fiancee is from Korea, so she is visa-exempt... I have been told ( not not experienced it myself) that visa-exempt can still travel back to Canada without the PR card.

Getting a Temporary Travel Document is possible but I understood that it was mostly for non visa-exempt that had to travel out and in the country again while waiting for the PR card.

Sorry - not being very helpful, but might find myself in the same position (landed, no PR card, visa exempt, exiting and entering the country again), and I thought it was no problem - now I am getting a little worried! so I hope that some more experienced member can give a more informed opinion.
Good luck,
Sweden

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Hi Sweden,

The guy from CIC I asked on the phone, said the problem would arise in Mexico at the end of the trip. Without a proper visa in place they may not let her board.

Yes she holds a Korean passport which is exempt, BUT i believe if you are a random visitor from a visa-exempt country you still need to show proof of a departing flight which of course she doesn't have.

Hmm i found a number for Mexico visa office so hopefully can ask them direct. Don't think i want to just chance it and be detained in Mexico lol.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Technically, the requirement is that you need your PR card unless you get a travel document. The reason for this is that commercial carriers (eg airlines) get severe penalties if they allow someone to travel to Canada (or any other country) without proper documents, as defined by the Canadian government. Airline personnel aren't trained to know, and don't have access to the relevant systems, to know if a COPR is valid. Therefore, the need for a travel document is to prove your status to an airline so they let you get on a plane and have assurances that they won't get a (severe) penalty if you arrive at the Canadian border and are not admissible.

However, if you are visa exempt from the carrier's perspective they can transport you as if are tourist (visa exempt) and not get themselves in trouble since you have valid status. Thus alleviating the carrier's concerns even if you don't have your PR card and then when you arrive back in Canada, the immigration officers can check your status with the COPR and you enter as a PR.

There's additional details in the conversation I had with Calgary-Bound in April. See additional details of the discussion at http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/thread-for-outland-buffalo-applicants-t41886.0.html;msg1429879#msg1429879 and then his experience returning from Maui at http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/thread-for-outland-buffalo-applicants-t41886.0.html;msg1488693#msg1488693.

Rob_TO - just saw your note. The best way of reaching the Mexico visa office would be through a case specific enquiry (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/missions/mexico.asp). The latest info I have is that they issue them say day in Mexico City but double check with them so you have the requirements if you decide to go down that path.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My husband is visa exempt (American) and was recently almost denied boarding back to Canada because he didn't immediately show his PR card. Had he not produced his PR card (and a valid PR card), they would have denied boarding because his return flight back to Canada after our vacation was effectively a one way flight to Canada.

Long story short - if you don't have the PR card, I would check with the carrier you'll be using to see if you will have any issues returning and get something from them in writing (e.g. email) confirming you're OK.

I was very surprised by what happened to my husband. Luckily he had a valid PR card with him. But lesson learned for the future.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Where were you flying back from, scylla? And what airline? I'm asking because I wonder if they deal with countries that do require round trip tickets and are just used to asking for it.

There's no requirement for a return flight in Canada for tourists from all countries I know of offhand and definitely not visa exempt countries. A return ticket can help serve as evidence that you won't overstay but no actual requirement unless something changed very recently. Realistically, it doesn't prove much to have the return ticket since immigration knows you can always buy a fully refundable ticket.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
OhCanadiana said:
However, if you are visa exempt from the carrier's perspective they can transport you as if are tourist (visa exempt) and not get themselves in trouble since you have valid status. Thus alleviating the carrier's concerns even if you don't have your PR card and then when you arrive back in Canada, the immigration officers can check your status with the COPR and you enter as a PR.
Thanks for all the info! This makes sense. And when i was talking to the CIC person, i actually didn't mention she holds a visa exempt passport.

My main concern is the one scylla mentioned. When travelling as a tourist, usually you always need to have proof of a return flight back to your home country. So i wonder if in Mexico what if they asked to see your ticket departing Canada?

Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
We were flying Korean Air (Seoul to Toronto). We had already flown Denpasar (Bali) to Seoul.

I completely agree with what you've said. I was extremely surprised when they said they were going to deny boarding. When my husband produced his PR card, they misread the date and thought it was expired and were still going to deny. They only agreed once they realized the PR card was valid.

Very strange exprience.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Having said all of the above...

I still love Korean Air (great airline) and I still love Incheon (Seoul airport). Incheon is one of the best layover airports ever.

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Rob_TO said:
Hi Sweden,

The guy from CIC I asked on the phone, said the problem would arise in Mexico at the end of the trip. Without a proper visa in place they may not let her board.

Yes she holds a Korean passport which is exempt, BUT i believe if you are a random visitor from a visa-exempt country you still need to show proof of a departing flight which of course she doesn't have.

Hmm i found a number for Mexico visa office so hopefully can ask them direct. Don't think i want to just chance it and be detained in Mexico lol.
I guess finding out with the company would be the best way, because when I came to Canada a month ago, (to wait out my PR), I didn't have any PR papers with me, no return flight (only a one way flight) and it went well - no problem... didn't get asked any question by the company (visa-exempt, they probably assume that I would be let in), and at the border to Canada I explained that I was coming to wait out my PR and was given a 6 months stamp... so I kind of hope if I have to travel next time without a PR card it will be the same...

Good luck - hope you'll enjoy the trip, and getting stuck in mexico jail doesn't sound appealing indeed!
Sweden

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rob_TO said:
Thanks for all the info! This makes sense. And when i was talking to the CIC person, i actually didn't mention she holds a visa exempt passport.

My main concern is the one scylla mentioned. When travelling as a tourist, usually you always need to have proof of a return flight back to your home country. So i wonder if in Mexico what if they asked to see your ticket departing Canada?

Thanks!
I was just wondering if it was a Korean phenomenon and then saw scylla's reply which makes me think it is indeed something specific to Korean Air or just confusion with some other country's requirements that they are more used to dealing with at Korean airports. It doesn't seem to be a legal requirement (I just checked CIC and there's no Bulletins changing the rules and IATA also just indicates a passport is sufficient for a South Korean citizen to visit Canada). You can check IATA for details on requirements at: http://www.iatatravelcentre.com/CA-Canada-passport-visa-health-travel-document-requirements.htm#

That all being said, Rob_TO, I understand if you are nervous given your wife's previous experience in Korea. I would send a case specific enquiry to the Mexico City Embassy, especially if you're going to be there anyway and ask for their guidance regarding whether you need it and how long it would take. If you're not going to be in Mexico City anyway and want to sleep at night, consider buying a refundable return ticket so you can stop worrying about it. If you find you don't need the ticket later, refund it upon your return. ;)

ETA: I don't see why a Mexican jail would come into play for this at all (luckily!) - worst case they'd have to buy a refundable ticket on the spot and then request the refund after they return to Canada if they find they don't need it anymore.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
OhCanadiana said:
I was just wondering if it was a Korean phenomenon and then saw scylla's reply which makes me think it is indeed something specific to Korean Air or just confusion with some other country's requirements that they are more used to dealing with at Korean airports.
I'm thinking this also. From all the other experiences i've read... visa exempt passports have no problems. I'm going to contact Westjet tomorrow and just double check what their agents in Mexico look for on check-in there, and how they treat visa exempt travelers. If they confirm there are no special requirements, we'll just go and hope for the best.

ETA: I don't see why a Mexican jail would come into play for this at all (luckily!) - worst case they'd have to buy a refundable ticket on the spot and then request the refund after they return to Canada if they find they don't need it anymore.
lol yes i realize. We're actually going to Maya Riviera area... so i can think of worse things than getting stuck on a beach for a few extra days :p

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
When I flew from the USA to Calgary in July 2011, United Airlines demanded proof of my return flight before allowing me to board the plane. I also had a flight in May of that year with Delta who didn't. The biggest difference was the connection. I was questioned at Chicago O'Hare and not in Minneapolis. My best guess is different airline and regional training OR it was a random check.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
So we arrived back in Canada yesterday... and just to confirm for anyone else in same situation there was zero issues with not having the actual PR card while travelling.

In Cancun airport the check-in person at Westjet asked if my fiancee (Korean passport) lived in Canada. She said "yes" (since we do), so she asked to see PR card. I just stated she's travelling as a tourist, and passport is visa-exempt... and that was good enough and no more questions asked.

Arriving in Canada, the immigration officer easily took the COPR as proof (even though it states "not valid for travel"), and just matched up the landing date on COPR with stamp in passport from Canada on landing date. No issues or delay at all.

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Rob_TO said:
So we arrived back in Canada yesterday... and just to confirm for anyone else in same situation there was zero issues with not having the actual PR card while travelling.

In Cancun airport the check-in person at Westjet asked if my fiancee (Korean passport) lived in Canada. She said "yes" (since we do), so she asked to see PR card. I just stated she's travelling as a tourist, and passport is visa-exempt... and that was good enough and no more questions asked.

Arriving in Canada, the immigration officer easily took the COPR as proof (even though it states "not valid for travel"), and just matched up the landing date on COPR with stamp in passport from Canada on landing date. No issues or delay at all.
Welcome back! good to know you didn't end up stuck in Mexico for a little longer than foreseen!
Sweden