Med's Request
06-05-2013
Med's Done....
06-13-2013
Passport Req..
10-03-2013 (copies only; visa-exempt)
LANDED..........
11-09-2013
I have been looking at ads on Kijiji for rental housing, and found some properties I like, but how do those of us who are outside Canada arrange rental? How to pay? Does this question make sense? Hope so! :)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I would not advice you to rent before you see for the following reasons:

1) it may look better on the photos than in person
2) it may be in a bad neighbourhood
3) it may be in a remote location with bad access to shopping and public transport
4) the person taking your money may not be authorized to rent the it out
5) it might not exist at all and you are looking at photos copied from the web

imatwkrp

Star Member
Jun 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-21-2012
AOR Received.
05-11-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
06-05-2013
Med's Done....
06-13-2013
Passport Req..
10-03-2013 (copies only; visa-exempt)
LANDED..........
11-09-2013
Thanks for the warnings and suggestions. My husband and I can take a trip next week to Canada to look for a couple of days. But of course, we have to rent something once we look. So what I am wondering is how others have gone about the part where you actually sign the lease and pay the landlord. Is it possible to get a bank account while we're visiting next week?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't completely agree with Leon's warnings. You can do lots of research in the internet in terms of bad/good neighbourhood, location and access to shopping and public transport, especially if it is in Vancouver or Toronto. Even if you met the "landlord" in person, it is difficult to know if the person or company taking your money is authorized to rent it out.

Nevertheless, I have experience in renting an apartment in Canada before "landing" with no problem. The process was easy:
1) Look up rental listing website, such as rentbc.com
2) Contact the landlord and say you are interested in renting
3) The landlord will ask you some questions about yourself and decide whether to accept the offer
4) If landlord accept, they will send you a rental agreement for you to sign and return with your advance rental payment
5) Upon arrival in Canada, you pick up the apartment key from the landlord

Yes, you can open bank account while visiting in Canada.

Mike35

Jun 29, 2010
It is important to have some real information more then just what the websites are showing you.
Places like rentseeker.ca and kijiji and other rental places all want to show something to sell and might hide some details,
but at the same time, with the right questions and a few talks with the renters you can probably get a lot of the information you need.

I am interested in knowing Steaky, how you find out about good/bad neighbourhood on the internet? I think that might require visiting...
But as for shopping and transit, that you can find online, I know Toronto uses TTC, I don't know about Vancouver.

but imatwkrp the question does make sense, and best of luck with your rental search!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The internet is a world of knowledge. If you know how to google, for example, you can always find the bus/subway company of Vancouver is translink.

niwrrehs

Dec 5, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Canadian Embassy Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Doc's Request.
January 2010
File Transfer...
January 2010
Med's Request
June 2010
Med's Done....
July 2010
Passport Req..
September 2010
VISA ISSUED...
October 2010
LANDED..........
March 24 2011
very nice topic

ann25

Jan 26, 2011
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When i first came here i have used Rentseeker.ca to find an apartments and i found them pretty easy to use. but i agree with Steaky the location is everything and you have to go down to place itself, speak to landlord and get a feel for yourself rather then just get the info only from the internet.

Good luck though!! I know it could be very time consuming to find exactly what you looking for!

Shinygirl

Star Member
Nov 3, 2010
Hi

I have a question..... as a new immigrant how is it possible to rent a place? Given that we dont have a credit history in the country.....

Any advice would be helpful

Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
For me it was good enough to give a foreign credit card number. I have heard that landlords will sometimes ask you for a higher advance payment which is actually against the law but if you are having problems finding a place, you could try to offer it.

Shinygirl

Star Member
Nov 3, 2010
Thanks Leon for the reply

We called one rental apartment in North York, and they said that any other country's credit doesnt work..... maybe we can try to offer higher deposit to the landlord.

livefaisal

Mar 30, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I know lot of people are having same problem. Once you landed in canada, when u go for bank account ask them i want Secure Visa credit card. Let say if u need 2000 dollar credit limimt pay 2000 as deposit and get the credit crd and use. That how i did at first time when i came to canada. After some time once you have established credit history they will return your deposit.

If u need more info plz contact me @ livefaisal@hotmail.com

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
livefaisal said:
Hi,

I know lot of people are having same problem. Once you landed in canada, when u go for bank account ask them i want Secure Visa credit card. Let say if u need 2000 dollar credit limimt pay 2000 as deposit and get the credit crd and use. That how i did at first time when i came to canada. After some time once you have established credit history they will return your deposit.

If u need more info plz contact me @ livefaisal @ hotmail.com
TD offers 'unsecured' $500 C/Card to everyone... if u could convince the limit might be raised to $1000.
Qorax

Aycan1998

Oct 20, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Shinygirl said:
Hi

I have a question..... as a new immigrant how is it possible to rent a place? Given that we dont have a credit history in the country.....

Any advice would be helpful

Thanks
What I did was to contact my countries consolate office in Canada and asked for references with respect to places to rent from. They provided a list and I contacted one or two of the renters who agreed that once I was able to show proof of funds to cover the rental cost that they were more than willing to rent me an apartment.

wishing you all the best and good luck shinygirl