+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to prove freelancing work

Ariash

Feb 5, 2016
I am a researcher and work with various institutions to conduct their research on consultancy basis and short term contracts. On the express entry profile, should I mention all these clients? Some are for weeks, some months and some months I have no clients. It is also hard to indicate how many hours a week as sometimes the project would demand even 48hrs/week. And some I just have a one year contract but only work on need basis and get paid for specific work done not monthly.

Also, should I tick the box for self-employed then write the company name that I worked for in that specific period? I'm confused..

Furthermore, will I need all the reference letters from all the clients including payments that date back to 2015? Please someone help

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
I am a researcher and work with various institutions to conduct their research on consultancy basis and short term contracts. On the express entry profile, should I mention all these clients? Some are for weeks, some months and some months I have no clients. It is also hard to indicate how many hours a week as sometimes the project would demand even 48hrs/week. And some I just have a one year contract but only work on need basis and get paid for specific work done not monthly.

Also, should I tick the box for self-employed then write the company name that I worked for in that specific period? I'm confused..

Furthermore, will I need all the reference letters from all the clients including payments that date back to 2015? Please someone help
I think you are self-employed in this case. Have you already received your ITA?

Ariash

Feb 5, 2016
No, not yet. I'm still filling in the profile - the work history part. Wondering if I should indicate all those projects with the clients I have done then contact them incase I'll need to upload reference wnd evidence of having worked for them.

Ariash

Feb 5, 2016
I mean, do I have to state Aug - Sept ... worked as Xx for Xx company? Do this for all the companies/clients i have been consulting for, for the past 6yrs?

sgoldsmith

Nov 20, 2020
Let's start by answering to your last question : yes, you will need to provide supporting documents for any job experience that you list in the Work History section. You need to show the immigration officer that it was a paid job, that the duties performed were aligned with the NOC you declared and that it was a full time or part-time job.

I would focus first on the clients with whom you have had the longest business relationship. What matters here, is to account for the number of years of professional experience you are claiming, no so much the quantity of clients. So, it may not be necessary to list every single client you have ever had.

It must be clients for which you will be able to provide a reference letter, a service contract agreement, proof of payments for projects done, etc.

Once you have identified those clients, you should indeed put "Client X" in the company name field, then check the "Self-employed" box.

Besides the client related documents, you can also upload any papers confirming your self-employed status (company registration, tax returns, etc.) that would confirm your self-employed status and that you were getting paid.

Ariash

Feb 5, 2016
@sgoldsmith, very grateful for this detailed and clear response.

How about the aspect of one year continous work? Will it count here because research projects usually last from days to a few months. But, yes, I have those clients whom I've worked for, for several projects - so I can establish that relationship. However, none is one year continous.

On the aspect of business registration, I just operate as a freelancer getting most of my projects from referrals. However, I can provide bank statements showing clients payments and also Tax filings showing client's withholding tax paid for the services I rendered.

I've had a client from June 2021 to Dec 2022. However, the project or work is broken down as; June to October 2021; then July- Aug 2022 then Sept- Dec 2022. All these projects have different contracts even though it's the same company/client. How should I put it? June 2021- Dec 2022 or should I break it down into 3 time periods?

Thank you for your assistance

Daren2023

Jan 20, 2023
Category........
FSW
Hi guys, I am self-employed, I have a company and employees, but I don't have a "boss" to give me a reference letter. So, it is not freelance work. I submitted 3 things: 1) Proof of company ownership and company income statements 2) Proof of PERSONAl income from my country's tax agency and pension fund 3) Reference letters from a few clients and my company accountant. I hope this is helpful :)

Also, as an extra I submitted links to a couple of my employees' LinkedIn profiles. I am not sure if they will consider this because it is not "documents".

Ariash

Feb 5, 2016
Aaah okay, got it. Mine is freelance. I think I'll just indicate the different time periods I have worked with my clients because there are contracts to prove and also the companies have no problem providing me with reference letters. I think am just concerned about the aspect of one year "continous".

As @iSaidGoodDay had recommended, I will try and have those projects with the same clients to show the relationship and I have 3good ones.

At what point are the reference letters needed?

Daren2023

Jan 20, 2023
Category........
FSW
Aaah okay, got it. Mine is freelance. I think I'll just indicate the different time periods I have worked with my clients because there are contracts to prove and also the companies have no problem providing me with reference letters. I think am just concerned about the aspect of one year "continous".

As @iSaidGoodDay had recommended, I will try and have those projects with the same clients to show the relationship and I have 3good ones.

At what point are the reference letters needed?
I think you need at least one year continuous work experience at 40hrs per week. So you might not satisfy the requirements for EE. Maybe you should have a consultation with an immigration lawyer, because if you don't satisfy the requirements maybe you should look for opportunities in other countries.

Ariash

Feb 5, 2016
I have a contract with one of my clients and it is for one year. However, in that one year, am only paid for projects done, but,the project states that am their data analyst since March 2022 and it will be renewed again next month. It was just easier instead of the company doing contracts per every project. Will that suffice?

Daren2023

Jan 20, 2023
Category........
FSW
In my opinion this is not enough you need one year FULL time work experience, not an ad hoc contract for a year.

Ariash

Feb 5, 2016
In this case, is it then enough if I have different clients within that FULL year? Because, even though am not working with this client this month, I am working for another one... sometimes there is overlap. I'm thinking you can be working for different clients in a year, just that it's not one client throughout the year. I should have a year where I have no gap in terms of contracts.

Otherwise, if this is not allowed/possible, I guess then it will be difficult to file for EE for freelancers.

Daren2023

Jan 20, 2023
Category........
FSW
Why Don’t you start a company and work for the company for a year and spread out your income so that you pay yourself a monthly salary? After a year you will meet the requirements. Yeah it is hard to qualify as a freelancer.