+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to prove freelancing work

Ariash

Feb 5, 2016
Why Don’t you start a company and work for the company for a year and spread out your income so that you pay yourself a monthly salary? After a year you will meet the requirements. Yeah it is hard to qualify as a freelancer.
Let me see what options I got. Thank you so so much for your valuable input and taking the time to respond. Really appreciate.

Reactions: Daren2023

sgoldsmith

Nov 20, 2020
I think am just concerned about the aspect of one year "continous"
For the "one year continuous" part, it is referring to the work experience in the NOC declared. It doesn't have to be one year with one client.

I am a freelance translator and I applied as self-employed.

I cannot say that I have a single client that would meet the definition of assigning me work everyday, 5 days a week, for one year. So, in my work history, I simply declared that I was working as a freelance translator "From year X to Present" and provided 3 reference letters from different long term customers, together with bank statements

Just remember the three elements you need to prove: paid occupation, occupation meeting the NOC requirements, full-time or part-time

At what point are the reference letters needed?
The reference letters must be submitted when you fill in your application after receiving your invitation to apply (ITA). Remember that you must provide a translation if they are not in English or French.

Ariash

Feb 5, 2016
For the "one year continuous" part, it is referring to the work experience in the NOC declared. It doesn't have to be one year with one client.

I cannot say that I have a single client that would meet the definition of assigning me work everyday, 5 days a week, for one year. So, in my work history, I simply declared that I was working as a freelance translator "From year X to Present" and provided 3 reference letters from different long term customers, together with bank statements

Just remember the three elements you need to prove: paid occupation, occupation meeting the NOC requirements, full-time or part-time

The reference letters must be submitted when you fill in your application after receiving your invitation to apply (ITA). Remember that you must provide a translation if they are not in English or French.

Ariash

Feb 5, 2016
@sgoldsmith oh okay. So, am worrying about things ahead. This is so helpful. So, in the meantime, as I fill in the work history past, should I just say I'm a freelance researcher from year X to present? Then after the ITA comes, I get the references? So, no need to list all the clients and projects I have done for the different companies as at now? Did I get you right? And what should I fill for the part of "company name"? One of the companies(clients)?

Daren2023

Jan 20, 2023
Category........
FSW

Did you get approved tho? Or just applied? I think you have to prove full-time experience.

sgoldsmith

Nov 20, 2020
Did you get approved tho? Or just applied? I think you have to prove full-time experience.
My application was approved.

For the work experience:
" at least 1 year of continuous work or 1,560 hours total (30 hours per week)—you can meet this in a few different ways:
  • full-time at 1 job: 30 hours/week for 12 months = 1 year full-time (1,560 hours)
  • equal amount in part-time work:for example 15 hours/week for 24 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
    • You can work as many part-time jobs as you need to meet this requirement
  • full-time at more than 1 job: 30 hours/week for 12 months at more than 1 job = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
Part-time work experience
Your skilled work experience must be paid work including paid wages or earned commission. We don’t count volunteer work or unpaid internships.

For part-time work, you can work more or less than 15 hours/week as long as it adds up to 1,560 hours. You can work more than 1 part-time job to get the hours you need to apply."

I guess that in this case, it would be assessed as several part-time jobs giving the applicant the equivalent of 1 year full time job.

dinamycolors

Mar 28, 2023
Hey I was just lurking and I think I can help with something.
I am a freelance graphic designer and in the last 3+ years I kind of only had one client but multiple contracts (UN organisation, multiple countries/departments but required only one employer letter) so what I did was I included a cheat sheet at the beginning of the PDF with each contract ref number, beginning and end date, cost, and hours of work (based on hourly or daily rate that you decide if not indicated in the contract) so that they add up at the end to the full time hours required. I bet this helped whoever was looking at it to verify quickly because they just have to make sure that these contracts are correct (I attached them at the end) and they don’t have to do mathematical acrobatics to find out if I qualify for the work experience points based on hours worked. They have all the numbers.
So, even if your contract is a long one you can specify the number of days/hours worked that way it’s not too vague and they can actually quantify your work experience accurately. I hope this helps in any way!
And for the reference letters, try to get multiple but if you can’t, get the one you worked the longest with (like that yearly contract).

Last edited: