+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to obtain a New Zealand Police Certificate?

tevaths

Jan 24, 2012
My wife and I have applied for canadian PR(under MPNP programme) and are on the final stages of being approved/denied(hopefully!). We are living in US for the last 3 years, I am an Indian Citizen and my wife is a New Zealand Citizen. We were recently(about 3 months ago) asked by CIC office in Buffallo to provide them Police certificates from India (for me) and New Zealand (for my wife). I received mine from the indian consulate within 2 weeks but we are having difficulties in obtaining the new zealand police certificate.

I called the NZ embassy in DC and they told us that they do not provide any such document and the only document they can provide us, is a New Zealand Ministry of Justice certificate, which contains the criminal records (if any). This is the same information given on the NZ embassy website and NZ police website as well.

I also checked on the CIC website, they have this consent form that we are supposed to fill out and send to the CIC office and they will follow up with appropriate authorities in NZ and obtain the police certificates themselves. The form also says that the Ministry of Justice certificate will not be acceptable. BUT we have already done that and submitted the consent form to Buffallo office 3 months ago and still we received another letter from them asking for the NZ police certificate again.

What do we do now? since NZ embassy/police does not provide any police certificate and the only thing they can give us is a Ministry of Justice certificate, which is not acceptable to CIC.

Not sure what to do, they do not even take phone calls at Buffallo office. The only means to communicate is via email/fax/letters, for which they never respond!

Any guidance/help will be greatly appreciated.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

tevaths said:
My wife and I have applied for canadian PR(under MPNP programme) and are on the final stages of being approved/denied(hopefully!). We are living in US for the last 3 years, I am an Indian Citizen and my wife is a New Zealand Citizen. We were recently(about 3 months ago) asked by CIC office in Buffallo to provide them Police certificates from India (for me) and New Zealand (for my wife). I received mine from the indian consulate within 2 weeks but we are having difficulties in obtaining the new zealand police certificate.

I called the NZ embassy in DC and they told us that they do not provide any such document and the only document they can provide us, is a New Zealand Ministry of Justice certificate, which contains the criminal records (if any). This is the same information given on the NZ embassy website and NZ police website as well.

I also checked on the CIC website, they have this consent form that we are supposed to fill out and send to the CIC office and they will follow up with appropriate authorities in NZ and obtain the police certificates themselves. The form also says that the Ministry of Justice certificate will not be acceptable. BUT we have already done that and submitted the consent form to Buffallo office 3 months ago and still we received another letter from them asking for the NZ police certificate again.

What do we do now? since NZ embassy/police does not provide any police certificate and the only thing they can give us is a Ministry of Justice certificate, which is not acceptable to CIC.

Not sure what to do, they do not even take phone calls at Buffallo office. The only means to communicate is via email/fax/letters, for which they never respond!

Any guidance/help will be greatly appreciated.
Send them the consent form again. http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/australia-australie/assets/pdfs/instructions_police_NZ-en.pdf with a cover showing that they have to apply for it. It is quite possible that it was done previously, but sent to Sydney office. As an aside, see what happens when you don't follow the instructions in the first place. Delay , Delay.

tevaths

Jan 24, 2012
Thanks for the reply PMM, will try that again.

I did send a cover letter last time as well telling them what needs to be done. Let's see if it works this time! not sure why it'd have gone to Sydney office since I mentioned on the form where I have submitted my application, i.e. Buffallo office. Should I contact Sydney office and ask them about it?

BTW, the NZ Ministry of justice certificate that NZ people keep telling about, that won't work as a substitute?

Really appreciate any guidance in this matter.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

tevaths said:
Thanks for the reply PMM, will try that again.

I did send a cover letter last time as well telling them what needs to be done. Let's see if it works this time! not sure why it'd have gone to Sydney office since I mentioned on the form where I have submitted my application, i.e. Buffallo office. Should I contact Sydney office and ask them about it?

BTW, the NZ Ministry of justice certificate that NZ people keep telling about, that won't work as a substitute?

Really appreciate any guidance in this matter.
No, the NZ Ministry of justice certificate won't work, here is what CIC says:http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/australia-australie/visas/police_australian-australie_police.aspx?lang=eng&view=d

"Instructions to complete for a New Zealand Police Certificate

Important: Certificates issued by the New Zealand Ministry of Justice will not be accepted. The only acceptable certificate is issued by the New Zealand Police by using the application form below."

That-_-Guy__

Feb 24, 2012
I am currently applying for PR and the NZ police certificate is the only thing holding me up. The current method of sending the consent form directly to cic and they then contact the nz police themselves has only been around since about August 2011. Prior to this you had a form you had to send to the NZ police in Wellington and they would then forward it to CIC and not back to you. That method was seriously flawed. I sent about 6 requests, all registered mail to the nz police spaced a few months apart starting in may of 2010. Got no response! After they changed the method I have only sent 1 to cic and still no response. CIC said all my other stuff is in order and I have been approved in principle for PR. Come on NZ! I need my police certificate this is so annoying.

PS I had to get one from the Australian police as well. that was so easy. only took about 4 weeks to get as well.

tevaths

Jan 24, 2012
Thank you all for your valuable feedbacks.

So I have tried:
1- Resending the NZ Consent form(downloaded from CIC website) to CIC Buffalo office, along with a cover letter explaining that THEY HAVE TO submit it themselves in order to obtain my wife's clearance certificate(as per the guidelines on the form). It's been almost 1.5 months since I sent them this form and obviously no word from them yet.
2- Contacted CIC sydney office, since the police certificate will be obtained via them. Sent them an email asking the status of the request, even though I knew they wouldn't disclose any info to the applicant directly, but still I tried and requested them to send the NZ certificate to CIC buffalo in case they have already received it. They replied back saying I should be contacting the Buffalo office if I have any questions. So no help there either.
3- I obtained a NZ ministry of justice certificate for my wife stating she has no criminal records and sent this to Buffalo office as well almost a month ago. Spoke to NZ Embassy and their police department, this is the only certificate they can provide. Although I know it's clearly mentioned on CIC website that they won't accept it, but given the circumstances I am in, I gave it a shot.
4- sent another letter and email to CIC buffalo office 2 weeks ago, asking if they need anything else from us, as THAT IS ALL WE COULD HAVE POSSIBLY DONE. guess what, no replies to email/letter yet.

Now after all that we have tried and still no word from them, I am sure they are going to send me another letter next week saying they are denying our application because we couldn't provide the police certificate. The deadline they provided in their last letter ends on March 19th. This is going beyond the limits of frustration, I am really not sure what the hell did I ever miss. So now that I am just waiting for their denial letter, I want to prepare myself to take some legal action against the Visa Officer assigned to my case.

Can somebody tell me how can I compliant against the VO? because clearly he/she doesn't know their own rules and guidelines written on their website. And on top of that, they don't even care to read all the highlighted cover letters/email I send to them with each corresponce, forget about replying back. Just because of their carelessness and uneducation about their own system, my family and I are going through this unnecessary stress.

Any help would be appreciated.

jeet.nz

Sep 12, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
july 2011
AOR Received.
nov 2011
File Transfer...
jan 2012
Med's Request
feb 2012
Med's Done....
15/03/2012 re-med on 27/04/13
Passport Req..
feb 2012
VISA ISSUED...
dm on 13/5/13 & received passports on 7/6/13
LANDED..........
may be mid of july
tevaths said:
Thank you all for your valuable feedbacks.

So I have tried:
1- Resending the NZ Consent form(downloaded from CIC website) to CIC Buffalo office, along with a cover letter explaining that THEY HAVE TO submit it themselves in order to obtain my wife's clearance certificate(as per the guidelines on the form). It's been almost 1.5 months since I sent them this form and obviously no word from them yet.
2- Contacted CIC sydney office, since the police certificate will be obtained via them. Sent them an email asking the status of the request, even though I knew they wouldn't disclose any info to the applicant directly, but still I tried and requested them to send the NZ certificate to CIC buffalo in case they have already received it. They replied back saying I should be contacting the Buffalo office if I have any questions. So no help there either.
3- I obtained a NZ ministry of justice certificate for my wife stating she has no criminal records and sent this to Buffalo office as well almost a month ago. Spoke to NZ Embassy and their police department, this is the only certificate they can provide. Although I know it's clearly mentioned on CIC website that they won't accept it, but given the circumstances I am in, I gave it a shot.
4- sent another letter and email to CIC buffalo office 2 weeks ago, asking if they need anything else from us, as THAT IS ALL WE COULD HAVE POSSIBLY DONE. guess what, no replies to email/letter yet.

Now after all that we have tried and still no word from them, I am sure they are going to send me another letter next week saying they are denying our application because we couldn't provide the police certificate. The deadline they provided in their last letter ends on March 19th. This is going beyond the limits of frustration, I am really not sure what the hell did I ever miss. So now that I am just waiting for their denial letter, I want to prepare myself to take some legal action against the Visa Officer assigned to my case.

Can somebody tell me how can I compliant against the VO? because clearly he/she doesn't know their own rules and guidelines written on their website. And on top of that, they don't even care to read all the highlighted cover letters/email I send to them with each corresponce, forget about replying back. Just because of their carelessness and uneducation about their own system, my family and I are going through this unnecessary stress.

Any help would be appreciated.
hi, my application is on hold due to delay in getting NZ pcc. i had submited my med, passport on 23/3/12 & till date i'm waiting for my stamped passport. i ordered GCMS note & came to know everything is ok except NZ pcc. now they put my file on hold. pls tell did u got NZ pcc or still waiting . if u got pls advice me how to get it soon. pls seniors i need help in getting PCC for NZ. i had already send request form twice with my application.

Dilsukh

Sep 1, 2012
Hi,
I send consent to disclosure of information(NZ) form for newzealand PCC to New Delhi on 22 october 2012. so they can get police certificate behalf of me . can you please advise how long it takes to get PCC from Newzealand . I did not get anythng from CHC till today after sending that documnet.
Thanks

thaiscav

May 26, 2015
HI everybody. I'm with this situation now in 2015. Finally, what's happened with your file at your time? How long did the answer took for the NZ sent the criminal record to CIC?

Thaks a lot

nikhillsharma

Star Member
Aug 4, 2014
Hi I am Nikhil Sharma, I was in New Zealand for 3.5 years. we have applied for FSW 2014 and got the file number last month.

Just now I have seen the topic related to New Zealand Police Certificate, I got the document for New Zealand Ministry of Justice Certificate (criminalrecord@justice.govt.nz), I would like to know is this certificate is valid for Canada Immigration.
If not please share the link how to take the PCC from New Zealand

I would really appreciate if you guide me on this.

Regards,
Nikhil Sharma

nikhillsharma

Star Member
Aug 4, 2014
Hi

I Just look at the link for PCC for New Zealand (http://www.nzembassy.com/india/new-zealanders-overseas/new-zealand-documents), In that it's clearly mention that they do not provide PCC

"New Zealand Police are often asked for a “Police clearance certificate”, especially by people applying for a job overseas. New Zealand Police do not produce “Clearance Certificates” as such, but you can get a copy of your criminal record from the Ministry of Justice."

Regards,
Nikhil Sharma

polara69

Mar 9, 2013
nikhillsharma said:
Hi

I Just look at the link for PCC for New Zealand (http://www.nzembassy.com/india/new-zealanders-overseas/new-zealand-documents), In that it's clearly mention that they do not provide PCC

"New Zealand Police are often asked for a “Police clearance certificate”, especially by people applying for a job overseas. New Zealand Police do not produce “Clearance Certificates” as such, but you can get a copy of your criminal record from the Ministry of Justice."

Regards,
Nikhil Sharma
The OP is probably already in Canada, this thread is over 3 years old..