manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-06-2014
Nomination.....
24-09-2014
guys, anyone here from Qatar? Pls advise how to get an authenticated driver's license. I believe that we need this paper together with the Driver's license card in order to drive in Canada.. thanks in advance.. :)

cad_pnp

Oct 23, 2013
Hi All,
I landed last week from India and wanted to apply for license.

I do have the IDP but do not have the 'letter of Authorization' showing 2+ years of driving experience.

Can I request the same from here ? What are my options now ?

Please help .

Regards
Faiz

ciscoccie

Jul 2, 2014
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If i have a driving license of oman , can I swap it with a canadian license if i get PR of canada through immigration ?

Vigilant

Champion Member
Nov 15, 2013
Pakistan
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
LVO
App. Filed.......
June-2010
Doc's Request.
Oct-2013
File Transfer...
June-2013
Med's Request
Jan-2014
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
April 2014
VISA ISSUED...
May-2014
LANDED..........
June-2014
cad_pnp said:
Hi All,
I landed last week from India and wanted to apply for license.

I do have the IDP but do not have the 'letter of Authorization' showing 2+ years of driving experience.

Can I request the same from here ? What are my options now ?

Please help .

Regards
Faiz
I read some where on this thread that you can apply through you embssy or if possible then authorize some one back in India to get it for you.

Vigilant

Champion Member
Nov 15, 2013
Pakistan
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
LVO
App. Filed.......
June-2010
Doc's Request.
Oct-2013
File Transfer...
June-2013
Med's Request
Jan-2014
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
April 2014
VISA ISSUED...
May-2014
LANDED..........
June-2014
ciscoccie said:
If i have a driving license of oman , can I swap it with a canadian license if i get PR of canada through immigration ?
I don't think so. U need to take a Test G1 and full G at least.

Vigilant

Champion Member
Nov 15, 2013
Pakistan
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
LVO
App. Filed.......
June-2010
Doc's Request.
Oct-2013
File Transfer...
June-2013
Med's Request
Jan-2014
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
April 2014
VISA ISSUED...
May-2014
LANDED..........
June-2014
jawad1879 said:
Dear All,

I need a help.

Regards!!
Hi,

Did you get that letter?

ciscoccie

Jul 2, 2014
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have a question related to Driving license . At the moment I am in Oman and I dont have driving license of Oman, I have been informed that it cost something around 1300 USD+ to get a license here which would include multiple test and practice. Thats an average cost from people who have it.

I have applied for Canadian immigration and think that they are processing it fast. 1300 USD is a big amount for me of course, do you think it will be worth to invest in this? I don't have any plans to stay here and my app reached on 9th Oct. I think I should skip the license here and only make one when I reach Canada. note that I have driving license from my south asian home country which is not accepted here in Oman.

My concern is that if I invest time and money on the license here and plan to move Canada in next 8 months my money would be wasted. I can get an international license from my south asian home country though. Please advise on this

Vigilant

Champion Member
Nov 15, 2013
Pakistan
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
LVO
App. Filed.......
June-2010
Doc's Request.
Oct-2013
File Transfer...
June-2013
Med's Request
Jan-2014
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
April 2014
VISA ISSUED...
May-2014
LANDED..........
June-2014
Hi,

If you can get the license from your south asian county (What Ever it is) then no need to invest in Oman. U just make sure that the license should be more than 2 years old and u have the experiene letter as well. Thsi is only my opinion, u may know better ur circumstances..

Thanks...

nvln

Mar 14, 2013
Mumbai, India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interview........
Hopefully will be waived....!!
ciscoccie said:
I have a question related to Driving license . At the moment I am in Oman and I dont have driving license of Oman, I have been informed that it cost something around 1300 USD+ to get a license here which would include multiple test and practice. Thats an average cost from people who have it.

I have applied for Canadian immigration and think that they are processing it fast. 1300 USD is a big amount for me of course, do you think it will be worth to invest in this? I don't have any plans to stay here and my app reached on 9th Oct. I think I should skip the license here and only make one when I reach Canada. note that I have driving license from my south asian home country which is not accepted here in Oman.

My concern is that if I invest time and money on the license here and plan to move Canada in next 8 months my money would be wasted. I can get an international license from my south asian home country though. Please advise on this
When you enter Canada, just show your South Asian Home Country Licence and get it swapped with a Canadian Driving Licence. The following may help you.

After you land in Canada,

1. If you do not have any Driving Licence from a foreign country, then you can first apply for a Learner's Licence (Class 7 in Alberta) and after the stipulated period, apply for the road test to get a full Driving Licence (Class 5 in Alberta). Check the Driving Licence websites of the Province you intend to land into.

2. If you have a Driving Licence from a foreign country, then you can surrender it once you pass the Learner's Licence Test (Class 7 in Alberta) and obtain the Class 7. In addition, you will become eligible to immediately take up a road test and if successful, get your full Driving Licence (Class 5 in Alberta). If you bring your foreign Driving Licence, please note to bring along the Driving Licence Extract from that Country. It will help you in getting the Licence in Canada.

Finally, you do NOT need any International Driving Licence when you arrive here, for this purpose.

Regards.
NVLN.

ciscoccie

Jul 2, 2014
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nvln said:
When you enter Canada, just show your South Asian Home Country Licence and get it swapped with a Canadian Driving Licence. The following may help you.

1. If you do not have any Driving Licence from a foreign country, then you can first apply for a Learner's Licence (Class 7 in Alberta) and after the stipulated period, apply for the road test to get a full Driving Licence (Class 5 in Alberta). Check the Driving Licence websites of the Province you intend to land into.

2. If you have a Driving Licence from a foreign country, then you can surrender it once you pass the Learner's Licence Test (Class 7 in Alberta) and obtain the Class 7. In addition, you will become eligible to immediately take up a road test and if successful, get your full Driving Licence (Class 5 in Alberta). If you bring your foreign Driving Licence, please note to bring along the Driving Licence Extract from that Country. It will help you in getting the Licence in Canada.

Finally, you do NOT need any International Driving Licence when you arrive here, for this purpose.

Regards.
NVLN.
Thankyou for the detailed information . Can you please tell me if I have a driving license of south Asian country how much aproxx CAD it can take to get license.

neel-here

Champion Member
May 12, 2013
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thks NV,

Could pls tell in details about the DL extract.. who will issue it, what is it called (in IND).

Pls share/ email a copy of DL Extract which can be used for Reference while approaching local RTO

nvln said:

Regards.
NVLN.

nvln

Mar 14, 2013
Mumbai, India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interview........
Hopefully will be waived....!!
ciscoccie said:
Thankyou for the detailed information . Can you please tell me if I have a driving license of south Asian country how much aproxx CAD it can take to get license.

neel-here said:
Thks NV,

Could pls tell in details about the DL extract.. who will issue it, what is it called (in IND).

Pls share/ email a copy of DL Extract which can be used for Reference while approaching local RTO
Given below are my responses.

Cost of obtaining Driving Licence in Canada

Cost depends on the fees applicable in individual Canadian Provinces. There are 2 stages.

Stage - 1: Pass the Knowledge Test (Theory). This is conducted by the Registries that provide such services. In Alberta, you need to pay CAD 17/- for the Knowledge Test, per attempt. This Test can be taken any day. However, it is recommended that you prepare for the Test, by studying the corresponding Guide. The Guide is available in the Registries and you can obtain the same from the Registries (generally provided free of cost). Passing the Knowledge Test will entitle you to get the Learner's Licence (called Class 7).

Stage - 2: Pass the Road Test. The practice is to undergo a 10-hour driving session from any of the driving schools. In Alberta, it costs about CAD 50/- per Hour (total CAD 500/-). Once you complete the driving lessons, you are required to pay for the Car for the Test (about CAD 90/- in Alberta) and the fees for the Driving Test (less than CAD 200/-) in Alberta. The Driving Test fees is to be paid to the Registry where you want to take the Test. For the Car, normally, the Driving Instructor will lend the same car to you in which you practice your driving.

Thus, expect to incur around CAD 850/- for getting the License (Class 5).

Procedure for obtaining the Driving Licence Extract in India

The Document is called DL Extract.

Please approach the RTO from where you obtained your Licence. In Thane (Maharashtra) RTO, the fees for obtaining the DL Extract is INR 50/-. Please check at the Enquiry Counter for the form / request letter format and the attachments that need to be submitted. Avoid going through Brokers - you will end up spending lots of money for a simple task. And this takes just 1-2 days for issuance.

Importance of a foreign DL Extract in Canada

DL Extract establishes your driving history in your country and thus allows you to take the advantage of going directly for the Full Class 5 Driving Licence in Canada, as soon as possible, after landing. In the absence of the DL Extract, you will be treated as a new Driver and the process of obtaining a Full Class 5 Driving Licence can take up to 3 years from the date of issuance of the Learner's Licence (Class 7).

Please ensure that you bring the ORIGINAL DL Extract when you come over. This needs to be submitted in the Registry when applying for your Canadian Driving Licence.

Trust this helps.

Regards.
NVLN.

neel-here

Champion Member
May 12, 2013
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thks a lot NVLN.... +1 to you :)

Could you pls share with me a copy of "DL extract".. it will be quite helpful.
(PM ed you my mail id).

Mayman

Oct 10, 2014
I was asked to show visitor record or IMM1442 form. But when I wemt through custom border they did not give me any paper like that? Can I ask them to reissue that when I am already in country. I am here on visitor-business visa.

nicksar

Nov 6, 2014
Singapore
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2-Dec-2014
Doc's Request.
DD Encashed on 26-Jan-2015
Nomination.....
PER: 22-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
23-Mar-2015
IELTS Request
Sent with the Application
File Transfer...
23-Mar-2015
Med's Request
5-May-2016
Med's Done....
First Round 11-May-2016 | 2nd Round - 10-Jan-2016
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
28-Feb-2017
VISA ISSUED...
6-Apr-2017
Hi Friends,

I require your valuable advise on getting DL in canada in future.

I am in singapore for last 3 years. But I have only Indian driving license which is in English.

I have 6-8 months time to land canada. Should I take any steps now or am I hurrying?

If not now, when can I start the process and what should I do to easily get the DL in canada shortly.