How to Get Canadian Driving License -for Newcomers

ItsBeenLongNow

Champion Member
Nov 26, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sohailss said:
HI SENIOR EXPERT MEMBERS,

I need some advise. I have 3 years driving experience from Saudi Arabia. I got extract printout from maroor office. Will translation of the same from authorized translator here in Toronto be enough to claim my experience of 2 + years or I should approach Saudi Embassy Ottawa for certification as well. please advise
No need for the Saudi Consulate, what you have is enough, the will recognize your driving experiance

ItsBeenLongNow

Champion Member
Nov 26, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sohailss said:
dear Qorax,

Appreciate you advise/comment on this subject.
Dear Sohailss, while you wait for Qorax's response, here is a thread by Qorax himself, pretty much self explanatory

How to Get Canadian Driving License -for Newcomers
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t39566.0.html

sohailss

Star Member
Dec 15, 2008
Thanks for the feedback and advise.

Today I got saudi driving license and data print out translated by Atio Certified transltor. I took the documents to Drivetest centre. They have accepted and considered only 1 year driving experience instead of 3 years. Upon inquiry; they said that the printout lacks the printout date and they told to bring again the detail printout of driving license data with printout date and then only they will consider accepting 3 years driving experince.

Kugzi

Jul 9, 2013
Hi Qorax,

Should i get both Letter of Authentication and IDP to skip the wait time in Ontario or only Letter of Authentication should do....i am here already for last 3 months, i can send my brother back home to get the letter....Please advise...

jk1977

Jan 17, 2013
dear qorax,

i m from india & i went to the local RTO(ghaziabad) dept but they said , we dont issue any experience letter. so i applied for smart card(a plastic card with a chip ,like debit cad) is it work for G2 lic.

on the other hand i have A D l(A4 paper size) issued in 2001 and full document in English. now acooriding to that we have 12 year exp.

or is this enough for G2.

RTO people said they need Ambessy letter for " particulate letter" .

regard
jitendra

peanut

Nov 22, 2012
Hi, I am from Dubai and will be landing shortly... i have obtained driver's experience certificate from govt and no claim certificate from insurer.... just need to know if the same are required to be attested from Foreign affairs department....

Arta90

Nov 24, 2011
Hi Freinds

I landed in Toronto few weeks ago while i didn't get any letter from RTA in Dubai,
Now anyone can help and guide me is there anyway i can apply for Driving license with my UAE original driving license.

The original D /L of UAE is with me but i don't know if i have to translate it or by any way apply for Ontario D/L.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions in advance

maran1976

Feb 22, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14 April 2010
AOR Received.
26 Nov 2010 (2nd Aor Date)
Med's Request
28-02-2013
Med's Done....
6th March 2013
Interview........
hopefully waived
Passport Req..
Recvd by CHC Mar 13th
I am going to try and exchange my UK driving License tomorrow at the test center. My only worry is that , the photo card says validity is July 2014 and on counter part 2046 !
The validity of Photo cards is short, so as to update with current photos every 10 years (without test).

Now, Can someone please tell me, what would be the validity of my Ontario License ?

I will be just carrying my PP, COPR and UK DL both parts..

NN74

Jun 8, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Pl go to RTA web site, send an email to RTA and they will send u this letter by courier. You have to pay by credit card. It easy!

Arta90 said:
Hi Freinds

I landed in Toronto few weeks ago while i didn't get any letter from RTA in Dubai,
Now anyone can help and guide me is there anyway i can apply for Driving license with my UAE original driving license.

The original D /L of UAE is with me but i don't know if i have to translate it or by any way apply for Ontario D/L.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions in advance

NN74

Jun 8, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
5 years - initially!

maran1976 said:
I am going to try and exchange my UK driving License tomorrow at the test center. My only worry is that , the photo card says validity is July 2014 and on counter part 2046 !
The validity of Photo cards is short, so as to update with current photos every 10 years (without test).

Now, Can someone please tell me, what would be the validity of my Ontario License ?

AAJ

Star Member
Aug 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-05-2010
AOR Received.
1st AOR 13-10-2010, Full Documents Sent 19-01-11, 2nd AOR 16-06-2011
IELTS Request
Done
Med's Request
15-03-2013
Med's Done....
06-04-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
10-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
22-07-2013
LANDED..........
April 2014 (IA)
peanut said:
Hi, I am from Dubai and will be landing shortly... i have obtained driver's experience certificate from govt and no claim certificate from insurer.... just need to know if the same are required to be attested from Foreign affairs department....
Not sure about insurer's letter, but RTA letter is mendatory to be attested by Ministry of Foreign Affairs...

NN74

Jun 8, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
RTA letter along with Ministry of Foreign affairs, Dubai attestation is must!

Also note that RTA letter expiry date is 2 months only but good news is that TEST DRIVE accepts this letter for up to 6 months. So even if your RTA letter expires in 2 mo Canadian driving authorities accept it till 6 months. When I came to know this, my husband got a rent-a car (for CAD$23 per day incl taxes from Enterprise) and driving!

Another point is that, your Dubai license is valid here in Ontario for 60 days; Alberta90 days - so when you come here, do not rush for driving license, drive any rent a car for 60 days (keep practice, as for G2 or G license you need to drive on highways 401, 407, Don Valley etc, at least 5 times with 15 km each visit becoz it would be cheaper than getting with driving school or instructor; CAD$30 per class + car cost for the day of test which is around CAD$90-120).

Another drawback is that, moment you get yourself register with TESTDRIVE, your Dubai license will no longer be valid, so you have to drive car as a G1 driver, means someone with G license shall sit with you and no passenger at back seats. So don't rush for driving license, enjoy your Dubai license for 60 or 90 days based on province you land.

AAJ said:
Not sure about insurer's letter, but RTA letter is mendatory to be attested by Ministry of Foreign Affairs...

maran1976

Feb 22, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14 April 2010
AOR Received.
26 Nov 2010 (2nd Aor Date)
Med's Request
28-02-2013
Med's Done....
6th March 2013
Interview........
hopefully waived
Passport Req..
Recvd by CHC Mar 13th
maran1976 said:

It was a very plesant experience, took the bus to the test center. Was in at 11:30 and was out by 11:45 with a full G license. A very kind and friendly lady attended me. Eye test was done, pic taken and 75$ paid. they retained my UK license and gave me a print out and the photo card license will arrive in a few weeks which will have 5 years validity ! There was a huge queue infront of me, I dont know how my token number got priority. As soon as the reception/enquiry guy gave a token after seeing my info, it was called immediately before even I left the enquiry counter. Super speed !

The only documents required was both parts of the UK license, Indian Passpord and cash or card payment.
A short form to be filled ( just Y / N ) and thats it ! Had to keep address and phone number handy. They ask height too.
Eye test was ammusing !.

MARCHIE

Jan 8, 2011
Vancouver ....Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC LONDON UK-----Transferred to PVO 7Feb 2013
NOC Code......
3152 ( Registered Nurse )
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26 May 2010
Doc's Request.
18 October 2010
Nomination.....
CHC London 15 Jan 2011...
AOR Received.
1st AOR 18 Oct 2010 / 2nd AOR 16 June 2011..
IELTS Request
All Done..
File Transfer...
PARIS OFFICE
Med's Request
13 March 2013
Med's Done....
10 April 2013
Interview........
Medicals Results Received 15 Aug 2013...
Passport Req..
29 Sep 2013 Submitted @ Abu Dhabi U.A.E
VISA ISSUED...
01 Oct 2013
LANDED..........
Celebrated White Christmas in Vancouver..2013.
Hi Guys,

Can anyone please enlight how to get :Lesson Bayanat" from Oman i.e ROP Royal Oman Police coz they have no clue what is this ????

Plz advise????

has anyone from Oman taken the samilar letter feom Oman??????