+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to Get Canadian Driving License -for Newcomers

ak1818

Jan 31, 2018
If you have landed in Ontario as FSW outland can you share how you got your driving license. Like
1) Did you get an exchange license in Ontario?
2) What class?
3) How much time it took to come in your mailbox? etc etc
Thanks
Very helpful!

Esher

Feb 8, 2018
Hello everyone! Very useful thread. I have a question regarding 2-years of driving experience in order to obtain class 5 (Alberta) DL. I have an international DL and own a car here in Calgary.
1) When I pass knowledge test I get class 7GDL license
2) Then, registry office takes my international DL (Homecountry DL) for "evaluation" to make me elible for a Driving Test. For some people this evalution took up to 4 weeks.
3) QUESTION : Am I allowed to drive while my original licence is under "evaluation"? (Do they give me some kind of temporary permit for these 4 weeks?) I've heard from many people that they were unable to drive away themselves after a registry office took their original license for evaluation and gave nothing in return. Some of them even got a reply "Find someone with Class 5 (Full G) or call a towing company to take your car from a registry office"

Sounds weird, but it is like you drive to a registry office (drive test center) yourself with a valid international drivers license (with full rights) and become literally 'handicapped' (class 7 GDL) after you give them your homecountry DL for evaluation. Hopefully someone will have chance to clarify this moment.

prince nijjar

May 16, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Missisuaga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21 sept 2010
Doc's Request.
30 july 2014
AOR Received.
9 Dec 2014
File Transfer...
New delhi -25 feb 2015
Med's Request
25 april 2015
Med's Done....
7 may 2015
Passport Req..
28 sept 2015
VISA ISSUED...
7 oct 2015
Hi everyone . I m from bc .i have question regarding commerical upgrade i have class 5 license from past two years .i went to icbc to upgrade they said they need 3 years driving record . They need my india driving record for 3 year . Can anyone what tell i what kind of papper i need to show . I m back from punjab ludhiana.

2017applicant

Star Member
May 22, 2017
Hello everyone, one question:

I have Texas driving license. Can I print out type 3A record online and present it along with license to prove driving history or do I need to apply for this driving abstract via mail and not online?

hussain-lala

Nov 7, 2013
Hi everyone!
very informative thread. I am moving to BC next month.
I got learner license in my home country (Pakistan) in 2004. Since then i have been driving.
In 2016 i got it renewed (though i was supposed to go for regular licence)
in July 2017 i got regular licence after i came to know the restrictions in Canada with less than two years driving history.

Now i am confused about my case as to what category license i am eligible to get in Canada. My main concern is I am moving with family and i want to have license on which i can drive with my wife kids in car with me.

Any suggestions/explanations please!

mcassim87

Jul 1, 2017
Hi everyone!
very informative thread. I am moving to BC next month.
I got learner license in my home country (Pakistan) in 2004. Since then i have been driving.
In 2016 i got it renewed (though i was supposed to go for regular licence)
in July 2017 i got regular licence after i came to know the restrictions in Canada with less than two years driving history.

Now i am confused about my case as to what category license i am eligible to get in Canada. My main concern is I am moving with family and i want to have license on which i can drive with my wife kids in car with me.

Any suggestions/explanations please!
Hi , i am from Pak as well and moving to Ontario in July
however, my Pakistani lic is 2 years old now and would like to know the procedure to further get Canadian lic

Love460

Jul 11, 2018
India
Hi qorax,

I am planing to migrate to Quebec Canada in October as a student.

right now I am confused about getting a driving license in India will it help me somehow in Quebec for getting driving License if I hold New Indian driving License with no experience? will this help me or should I leave and when migrated to Canada apply from the scratch?

Please help me to get out of this confusion.
Thank you.

snerosh

Star Member
Jul 18, 2018
Would i need a international driving permit from india to drive in Ontario?... im coming as a int student for 21 months

RAJ009F

Star Member
Nov 10, 2015
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
Hello All,
I have 6+ months of official (4+2 wheeler) driving license from India, however, I have driving experience of more than 6 years but no proof from govt.

In my case I have to go with Knowledge test then G1.
But with G1, can I purchase a CAR in Canada.? or should I wait for the next 8 months.?

Pachicoo

Jul 21, 2018
hi guy´s i am spanish citizen and have B license since 2007 and recently i have optained CE license (Truck ). and i want to move canada as a professional truck driver. so plz need help what document i need and to have the class 3 ( commercail and havey truck ) license.

Mar 19, 2018
Hello Guys.

I will be landing in Ontario as PR in March 2020. I have less than 12 months of driving experience in India. I will apply for a new drivers licence in Ontario but it will almost take me 2 years to get full G licence.

I have 2 queries.
1) Can i drive a car in Ontario with an IDP and home country driving license for these 2 years till my G license is approved?

2) if the answer to above is No, can i still drive a car for first 60 days for which all new visitors/immigrants are allowed.

sachinrathod

May 1, 2020
I am an Indian mechanical engineer with 3 years of experience as mentanence technician in Saudi Arabia. And i am 30 year old bachelor. Should I try for Canada for better future? As I am looking to move in Canada please give me your guidelines.

NZ_ozzie

Sep 4, 2018
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
10-11-2018
Doc's Request.
11-12-2018
AOR Received.
10-11-2018
Med's Done....
11-12-2018
VISA ISSUED...
05-06-2019
Has anyone successfully converted their Australian License with demerit points to Ontario license?