+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to Get Canadian Driving License -for Newcomers

pj375

Mar 7, 2011
I am planning to land in Vancouver in August for a 2 week trip. I have a US drivers license that expires in November, 2012. After reviewing the BC Drivers Licensing site - they say I can use the reciprocal agreement to get a BC license provided I have the following ID:

Valid Permanent Resident Card (must not be expired)

or

Canadian Record of Landing/Canadian Immigration Identification Record (form IMM1000 only)

Does anyone know if they accept COPR IMM 5292 stapled into the passport to apply for a licence, given the delay in PR card processing?

Thanks in advance.

mian_g

May 24, 2012
Calgary
Visa Office......
london
LANDED..........
02/07/2014
Canooknic said:
No SIN required. I took my old UK licence, my passport and proof of my address (I think I took my bank statement, or maybe it was my rental agreement) to get my Alberta licence
Do we need to present the counterpart for UK licence. What about NCB certificate from UK, will it be of any help in Alberta ? Can you share your personal experience and procedure (requirements ) of exchanging UK Full DL in Alberta.

Canooknic

Sep 20, 2010
England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
17th May 2011
Yes, they took the counterpart & card licence. Luckily we had taken a photocopy of it because when we got our motor insurance they wanted to see a copy of it.

It was very straightforward, we went to the registry, gave them our UK licences & proof of residency and they gave us temporary licences. Our cards arrived about 2 weeks later.

We did get a discount on our insurance with our NCB, but we went from Aviva UK to Aviva Canada, and we were both previous employees so I'm not sure if everyone would get the same percentage discount.

prishy2canada

Jan 11, 2012
United Kingdom
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17 Dec 2010
AOR Received.
09 Mar 2011
File Transfer...
28 Sep 2011
Med's Request
05 Oct 2011
Med's Done....
27 Oct 2011 (MR have been received: 15 Nov 2011)
Passport Req..
03 May 2012
VISA ISSUED...
07 June 2012
LANDED..........
August 2012
Canooknic said:
Yes, they took the counterpart & card licence. Luckily we had taken a photocopy of it because when we got our motor insurance they wanted to see a copy of it.

It was very straightforward, we went to the registry, gave them our UK licences & proof of residency and they gave us temporary licences. Our cards arrived about 2 weeks later.

We did get a discount on our insurance with our NCB, but we went from Aviva UK to Aviva Canada, and we were both previous employees so I'm not sure if everyone would get the same percentage discount.
+1 for you mate. Great info.
Do they check your UK licence is 2 year old? (I'm talking about Alberta)

Best,
p2c

Canooknic

Sep 20, 2010
England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
17th May 2011
Yes they do, I didn't have 2yrs so had to take the test but my fiancé just did a straight swap. The test wasn't hard, just common sense and the road test was only 15 minutes.

mystic444

Jun 20, 2010
Dear Qorax

As I will be migrating permanently to Toronto in July 2012 I have a few clarifications.

Am presently in Kuwait and have been driving here for the past 7 years. I applied for the authentication letter from the traffic dept in Kuwait but they issue this letter only in Arabic and not in English.

After getting this Arabic letter translated in English from the translator the traffic dept does not certify it as true copy unless it is attested by the Canadian embassy in Kuwait first.

Kindly advise if just the translated copy without the Kuwait traffic dept will suffice or what is the exact procedure after translating the Arabic authentication letter.

Appreciate your early reply.

Thanks

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
mystic444 said:
Dear Qorax

As I will be migrating permanently to Toronto in July 2012 I have a few clarifications.

Am presently in Kuwait and have been driving here for the past 7 years. I applied for the authentication letter from the traffic dept in Kuwait but they issue this letter only in Arabic and not in English.

After getting this Arabic letter translated in English from the translator the traffic dept does not certify it as true copy unless it is attested by the Canadian embassy in Kuwait first.

Kindly advise if just the translated copy without the Kuwait traffic dept will suffice or what is the exact procedure after translating the Arabic authentication letter.

Appreciate your early reply.

Thanks
1. That translated copy will only be accepted if it has the stamps of ur Ministry of External Affairs.
2. U can get it translated here [in Canada] from certain ministry approved 'legal translators' [costs $150] which is accepted.

mystic444

Jun 20, 2010
qorax said:
1. That translated copy will only be accepted if it has the stamps of ur Ministry of External Affairs.
2. U can get it translated here [in Canada] from certain ministry approved 'legal translators' [costs $150] which is accepted.

Thank You Sir for your prompt reply.

What I understand from you is that if I obtain the stamps of Ministry of External Affairs that is enough no need to get it attested from the Canadian embassy in Kuwait after that.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
mystic444 said:
Thank You Sir for your prompt reply.

What I understand from you is that if I obtain the stamps of Ministry of External Affairs that is enough no need to get it attested from the Canadian embassy in Kuwait after that.
That's correct.

Bundoora

Star Member
Apr 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
colombo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-02-2008
Doc's Request.
09-06-2009
AOR Received.
21-10-2009
IELTS Request
sent with the Documents
Med's Request
12-03-2012
Med's Done....
20-03-2012
Dear captain Qorax ,

i have the Australian D/L (which was expired in 2003 ) and the UK D/L , as well as my home country D/L , my question is would i be able to swap any of my (AUS,UK ) D/L s to ON D/L ?

p.s i'm not a PR holder of either country.

God bless you qorax

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
@Bundoora
IMHO u can swap the DLs only if they r valid.
However, I also know of one case who could yet get her US-DL, which was expired, swapped, but her's had expired just a few days ago.

Bundoora

Star Member
Apr 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
colombo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-02-2008
Doc's Request.
09-06-2009
AOR Received.
21-10-2009
IELTS Request
sent with the Documents
Med's Request
12-03-2012
Med's Done....
20-03-2012
qorax said:
@ Bundoora
IMHO u can swap the DLs only if they r valid.
However, I also know of one case who could yet get her US-DL, which was expired, swapped, but her's had expired just a few days ago.
thanks Qorax , as always +1 for you

pj375

Mar 7, 2011
pj375 said:
I am planning to land in Vancouver in August for a 2 week trip. I have a US drivers license that expires in November, 2012. After reviewing the BC Drivers Licensing site - they say I can use the reciprocal agreement to get a BC license provided I have the following ID:

Valid Permanent Resident Card (must not be expired)

or

Canadian Record of Landing/Canadian Immigration Identification Record (form IMM1000 only)

Does anyone know if they accept COPR IMM 5292 stapled into the passport to apply for a licence, given the delay in PR card processing?

Thanks in advance.
Qorax, could you comment on the above? Thanks