+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to calculate absences for trips with connection flight

barabashka

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
Dear all
I have a question how to calculate absence for PR residency obligation purposes for trips with connection flight in Canada.
If let's say I start my trip on Sat night from Canadian city A (with final destination to Europe), but I have a connection flight on Sun morning in Canadian city B.
Can I include Sun as a day I physically present in Canada (which is true, although only in airport), or should I exclude it as my journey started on Sat?
Many thanks!

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
I would think you can include it as a day present in Canada, however, if you are cutting your RO that close that you need to include that time, I would suggest you wait a bit longer to apply for renewal and discount those days just in case CIC decides they don't like those days being included.

akheya

Dec 3, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
from what i understand , when you leave canada your passwort gets stamped(in your case sat) unless in transit your passwort was stamped again as entering canada and leaving canada again(sun in that case)- only then u can count sunday, or else the only day you count in canada is the date ur passport was stamped.

So if sat was ur exit stamp and sat night or sunday enter canada and again exit canada sunday, then you can count sat sun or else Sat only.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You didn't leave Canada until the Sunday so the Sunday counts. However, you should never cut your RO that close. Always give at least a 10 day buffer.

kumbu.bumbu

Jan 13, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-06-2014
As Leon said if you keep RO precise to days needed that may call for trouble.

Answering your question your boarding time of your international flight is your exit time. Until then you just traveled from your city to another Canadian city.

But if you have traveled to USA it could be different. It depends on where you went past US immigration.
Example: You traveled Toronto-Montreal-New York
Had you gone past US immigration in Toronto on Saturday and waited at Montreal until Sunday, your records would show you have left Canada on Saturday. Chances for this is remote as cases like this most likely you pass US immigration at departure city.

barabashka

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
Thanks everyone!
Yes, I know I should allow buffer of several days when I apply to renew the card. I am going to have about 30 days surplus. The reason why I asked is in order to report the absences correctly, in accordance with CBSA records.