Passport Req..
05/05/2017, then 05/06/2017
VISA ISSUED...
22/06/2017
LANDED..........
07/08/2017
Hey guys

I hope you guys are all doing well

I am a PR of Canada and I am currently outside Canada (back home) and intend to get married. I will be staying here for some few months. I know that in order to bring your wife to Canada as a PR (not a citizen) you have to
  • be married and have a legal contract signed by both
  • have all required documents
  • travel to Canada alone and physically stay there for the period of sponsorship (average 12 months)
  • wait till you hear from CIC and apply for your wife's PR visa
I am (almost) fully aware of this process. But because this process sort of doesn't make sense especially if you're newly married, my question is this:

Is there a way to bring your wife to Canada lawfully (like applying for work permit, visit visa) and then go through the same above process wile both of use are together inside Canada? This way we are together and it doesn't matter how long it takes to process the application?

Please kindly help if you have useful information

alxms10

Dec 16, 2016
London-UK
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London-UK, then Paris-France, then Cairo-Egypt
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
08-06-2016
Doc's Request.
19-10-2016
AOR Received.
17-11-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
18-11-2016
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
22/06/2017
LANDED..........
07/08/2017

Qwertypod

Jan 28, 2019
It would be easier for you to bring her to Canada on a TRV before you get married. Make sure she has a lot of proof for having to return to her country - commitments, jobs, property ownership/lease, family, etc. along with a return flight, obviously. She also cannot bring all of her possessions with her to Canada - she is only a visitor. It is usually very difficult for spouses of Canadian PRs and citizens to receive TRVs - this is why getting married after traveling to Canada is better. Once she receives a TRV and has entered Canada, get married and apply as soon as you receive the marriage certificate. Apply for her OWP at the same time to gain implied status while her application is being processed. You might have to extend her visitor visa depending on timing.

Reactions: alxms10

bhavana.radhakrishnan

Jul 4, 2019
Hi everyone,
My situation is exactly similar to alxms10. I’m a canadian pr holder residing in canada for past 4months and my bf stays in my home country. I’m planning to get married to him in December 2019 and want to start his spousal sponsorship process asap. Am also in the same dilemma whether to apply for his TRV when he is single and apply for inland sponsorship when he visits Canada or apply for outland sponsorship. But as a newly wed couple it is so difficult to stay away from each other especially during the first year.

Looking forward to hear from your experience.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone,
My situation is exactly similar to alxms10. I’m a canadian pr holder residing in canada for past 4months and my bf stays in my home country. I’m planning to get married to him in December 2019 and want to start his spousal sponsorship process asap. Am also in the same dilemma whether to apply for his TRV when he is single and apply for inland sponsorship when he visits Canada or apply for outland sponsorship. But as a newly wed couple it is so difficult to stay away from each other especially during the first year.

Looking forward to hear from your experience.
Getting a TRV can be difficult. Usually there isn’t a choice couples have to do an Outland sponsorship. You could have gotten married and both applied to immigrate together since you only landed 4 minutes months ago.

bhavana.radhakrishnan

Jul 4, 2019
Getting a TRV can be difficult. Usually there isn’t a choice couples have to do an Outland sponsorship. You could have gotten married and both applied to immigrate together since you only landed 4 minutes months ago.
I agree but because i had applied as a single applicant for my PR i wasn’t allowed to change my status. And changing status would have meant me staying in my home country for another year. I had already waited for 3 yrs to get my PR.

alxms10

Dec 16, 2016
London-UK
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London-UK, then Paris-France, then Cairo-Egypt
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
08-06-2016
Doc's Request.
19-10-2016
AOR Received.
17-11-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
18-11-2016
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
22/06/2017
LANDED..........
07/08/2017
But it looks like you have already received multiple answers to this question a while ago....
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/best-scenario-to-sponsor-your-wife.532120/#post-6570339
Thanks very much for your response, appreciate it

This was an old post if you notice, and at that time I decide to forget about the idea of getting married. But then plans changed and had see what options are available and if rules have changed over the past 18 months. It's a tough decision and I still think that TRV is still not the best option for newly married people!!