+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to apply for PR under NEW Caregiver Program

roca

Oct 1, 2014
marjana.ukr said:
Anybody else tried the new pathway? I'm a live in caregiver (care for kids) and I am going to apply for PR in February 2016. I'm a single applicant. I am tempted to apply under the new pathway as they promise that the process will take only up to 6 months (compare to intimidating 48 months under the old program!). And I read some replies about people getting PR in a month or two, wow! I gathered all the documents required for the old program and for the new pathway. Passed the language exam (CLB 8.0 ), proved my education through WES (Canadian equivalency Bachelor's degree 4 years) and have my medical that will have been only half a year old at the time I apply. But I am still not sure whether I should take the risk. So little has been posted! Can anyone please share their thoughts and experience? Thank you!
Then you're good to go.

Funsho Heritage

Star Member
Jan 10, 2015
Funsho Heritage said:
That's great. Please read all previous posts and you will be well guided after reading through. All the best. Cheers
For processing time, it all depends. For those guys who were the first set of applicants. I meant people who applied in December 2014 up till Possibly May last year had their application decided in 1-2months. However, there are more applications now,just has you are planning to apply;other people are busy too fine tuning their paper work. Above all, make sure all your documents are in other and leave the rest to CIC.

All the best.

marjana.ukr

Star Member
Oct 5, 2015
Thank you for all who replied.

I called CIC. It turns out I can't apply under the new rules, this is something I haven;t even thought could be a problem. It's my fault, I should've found out earlier but as I said - I could not think this could be an issue. Here's why:

It turns out that I can't apply for an open work permit with my PR application if I want to go under the new rules. My employer doesn't want to keep me any longer than 2 years, it's too expensive for them. My LCP work permit was issued for 2 years. I had to ask the family for at least a short extension so that I could apply for PR. They agreed for a 4 months extension. I applied 3 months before the expiration of my LCP work permit, but seems like CIC decided to take a half year long vacation and I'm still waiting for my extension. By the time it comes and by the time I apply for PR I will have only 1 month left on my extended LCP permit. And under the new rules I have to wait for them to send me AOR (Acknowledgement of receipt) first, and only then I can apply for a bridging open work permit (I need something to stay in Canada legally!). And I'm afraid that AOR will take longer than 1 month and I'll be out of status and unable to apply for the bridging permit. All of this means that if you want to go under the new rules, you better have at least 2.5 year work permit and your employers better keep you, otherwise I just don't see how it's all possible. I honestly do not understand why I can't apply for some sort of permit together with my PR application. Don't they understand that there should be a way for me to maintain my status? They can't make it an obligation of the employers who might not need a nanny for that long. There should be something else. May be there is a way and I just don't know it? Has anyone been through something like this?

Funsho Heritage

Star Member
Jan 10, 2015
marjana.ukr said:
Thank you for all who replied.

I called CIC. It turns out I can't apply under the new rules, this is something I haven;t even thought could be a problem. It's my fault, I should've found out earlier but as I said - I could not think this could be an issue. Here's why:

It turns out that I can't apply for an open work permit with my PR application if I want to go under the new rules. My employer doesn't want to keep me any longer than 2 years, it's too expensive for them. My LCP work permit was issued for 2 years. I had to ask the family for at least a short extension so that I could apply for PR. They agreed for a 4 months extension. I applied 3 months before the expiration of my LCP work permit, but seems like CIC decided to take a half year long vacation and I'm still waiting for my extension. By the time it comes and by the time I apply for PR I will have only 1 month left on my extended LCP permit. And under the new rules I have to wait for them to send me AOR (Acknowledgement of receipt) first, and only then I can apply for a bridging open work permit (I need something to stay in Canada legally!). And I'm afraid that AOR will take longer than 1 month and I'll be out of status and unable to apply for the bridging permit. All of this means that if you want to go under the new rules, you better have at least 2.5 year work permit and your employers better keep you, otherwise I just don't see how it's all possible. I honestly do not understand why I can't apply for some sort of permit together with my PR application. Don't they understand that there should be a way for me to maintain my status? They can't make it an obligation of the employers who might not need a nanny for that long. There should be something else. May be there is a way and I just don't know it? Has anyone been through something like this?
Read my posted dated 3rd October, 2015 on page 9 of this platform of course you will understand better.

CANADA-13

Nov 2, 2015
Retention and disposition
Applicants for permanent residence under the Live-in Caregiver Class whose application is received after November 30, 2014, and which does not, at the time of application receipt by CIC, contain evidence that the underlying work permit associated with the foreign national’s initial entry as a live-in caregiver under the LCP was based on an LMIA that was requested from Service Canada on or before November 30, 2014, shall be informed that their application does not qualify for processing and their processing fees shall be returned.

My work permit under the old live in caregiver program was issued based on positive LMO, not LMIA. Do I need LMIA to qualify under the new caring for children pathway?

Funsho Heritage

Star Member
Jan 10, 2015
CANADA-13 said:
Retention and disposition
Applicants for permanent residence under the Live-in Caregiver Class whose application is received after November 30, 2014, and which does not, at the time of application receipt by CIC, contain evidence that the underlying work permit associated with the foreign national’s initial entry as a live-in caregiver under the LCP was based on an LMIA that was requested from Service Canada on or before November 30, 2014, shall be informed that their application does not qualify for processing and their processing fees shall be returned.

My work permit under the old live in caregiver program was issued based on positive LMO, not LMIA. Do I need LMIA to qualify under the new caring for children pathway?
When did you came to Canada? I mean under the old live-in caregiver program and how many employers have you worked with till date? supplying these info might give me better understanding to offer you my piece of advice. However, try and read my previous post on page 9 on this platform may be that would make some sense.

marjana.ukr

Star Member
Oct 5, 2015
Funsho Heritage, thank you so much for your time and kindness! I really appreciate you helping!!!

I did read your posts and here is what is really confusing to me. The CIC agent specifically told me (and he emphasized the importance of this info) that under the new pathway I am NOT eligible for an open work permit, but I MIGHT BE eligible for a bridging open work permit (turns out these are two different things?... :-[ ). The first thing I did is I went to CIC web site and read about the bridging open work permit. There is says:

1. I qualify for it because I am under the caring for children class.
2. I must currently be in Canada, have valid status on a work permit that is due to expire within four months, have applied for an open work permit (what??? have applied for something the agent told me I'm not eligible for?... :-[ ), and have paid the processing fee and the Open Work Permit Holder fee.
3. When you submit your application, you must provide all supporting documents listed in your document checklist. You must also include a copy of your Acknowledgment of Receipt letter from CIC.

All of this implies that I cannot send this bridging open work permit application together with PR application, because I MUST include AOR when applying. Which implies that I have to submit PR first, wait for the receipt(I'm worried that by the time it comes my current LCP work permit will expire) and then submit the application for a bridging open work permit.

I am not that "slow" naturally, but I really must be not getting something right, because you obviously did submit an application for an OWP with your PR application under the new pathway. Could you please point me to where I am wrong? I know I'm being obviously stupid right now. I would really appreciate help, thanks so much in advance!!!

CANADA-13

Nov 2, 2015
Funsho Heritage said:
When did you came to Canada? I mean under the old live-in caregiver program and how many employers have you worked with till date? supplying these info might give me better understanding to offer you my piece of advice. However, try and read my previous post on page 9 on this platform may be that would make some sense.
I came to Canada under the live in caregiver program in 2013. I am still under the same program with the same employer. I have never changed employers.

Thanks! :)

marjana.ukr

Star Member
Oct 5, 2015
CANADA-13 said:
I came to Canada under the live in caregiver program in 2013. I am still under the same program with the same employer. I have never changed employers.

Thanks! :)
Do you also want to try the new pathway?

Funsho Heritage

Star Member
Jan 10, 2015
marjana.ukr said:
Funsho Heritage, thank you so much for your time and kindness! I really appreciate you helping!!!

I did read your posts and here is what is really confusing to me. The CIC agent specifically told me (and he emphasized the importance of this info) that under the new pathway I am NOT eligible for an open work permit, but I MIGHT BE eligible for a bridging open work permit (turns out these are two different things?... :-[ ). The first thing I did is I went to CIC web site and read about the bridging open work permit. There is says:

1. I qualify for it because I am under the caring for children class.
2. I must currently be in Canada, have valid status on a work permit that is due to expire within four months, have applied for an open work permit (what??? have applied for something the agent told me I'm not eligible for?... :-[ ), and have paid the processing fee and the Open Work Permit Holder fee.
3. When you submit your application, you must provide all supporting documents listed in your document checklist. You must also include a copy of your Acknowledgment of Receipt letter from CIC.

All of this implies that I cannot send this bridging open work permit application together with PR application, because I MUST include AOR when applying. Which implies that I have to submit PR first, wait for the receipt(I'm worried that by the time it comes my current LCP work permit will expire) and then submit the application for a bridging open work permit.

I am not that "slow" naturally, but I really must be not getting something right, because you obviously did submit an application for an OWP with your PR application under the new pathway. Could you please point me to where I am wrong? I know I'm being obviously stupid right now. I would really appreciate help, thanks so much in advance!!!

Applied for everything together. you are qualified. I have open work permit under the caring for children class. Just package everything together and you will be good to go

marjana.ukr

Star Member
Oct 5, 2015
Funsho Heritage said:
Applied for everything together. you are qualified. I have open work permit under the caring for children class. Just package everything together and you will be good to go
Thank you. Just called CIC again. This time they said I can apply at the same time, just like you said. I'm thinking of calling again and just recording the conversation so that I have some sort of a proof in case.

Funsho Heritage

Star Member
Jan 10, 2015
marjana.ukr said:
Thank you. Just called CIC again. This time they said I can apply at the same time, just like you said. I'm thinking of calling again and just recording the conversation so that I have some sort of a prove in case.
Okay