+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How to apply for PR under NEW Caregiver Program

Funsho Heritage

Star Member
Jan 10, 2015
tabznya said:
Just to clarify, did you do the same for your spouse? Indicated him/her as the applicant, then chose Family Stream, then Spouse even if you were applying under the Caring for Children pathway like me? I would have never thought of that to be honest because from my understanding the Family Stream Category is only for Canadians and Permanent Residents sponsoring their family like spouse or kids. And I was thinking that as I am personally applying under the Economic Class, Caring for Children pathway, it might cause confusion on their end if I pick Family under the *program you are applying section. But if it worked for your application, I will definitely do the same.

also, did your spouse have to fill up the Sponsor Spouse questionnaire? if not what other forms was your spouse asked to submit?

Thanks.

Firstly, you need to get this right that your hubby don't have to fill any form ahead until the embassy responsible for PR processing for your country contact you. like Nigeria for instance, the Canadian embassy in Accra is responsible for all west African countries

Please don't get confused here. My wife filled and submitted her own generic form. She filled under which program you are applying for "Family". Under category under which she was applying " Spouse". Same for your spouse to the best of my knowledge.

Now don't forget that you as principal applicant had earlier declared your husband or wife in your PR application sent to Vegreville. So no confusion out here.

Hope this helps?

Funsho Heritage

Star Member
Jan 10, 2015
Funsho Heritage said:
Firstly, you need to get this right that your hubby don't have to fill any form ahead until the embassy responsible for PR processing for your country contact you. like Nigeria for instance now, the Canadian embassy in Accra is responsible for all west African countries

Please don't get confused here. My wife filled and submitted her own generic form. She filled under which program you are applying for "Family". Under category under which she was applying " Spouse". Same for your spouse to the best of my knowledge.

Now don't forget that you as principal applicant had earlier declared your husband or wife in your PR application sent to Vegreville. So no confuse out here.

Hope this helps?

So dear, fill your form as the principal applicant. Principal applicant will apply under economic class, category caring for children/high medical class as it may applies to you. Wife or husband will apply following CIC letter/email from appropriate embassy under family and spouse category and if you have kids like me , your kids apply under family, child category.

Thats how it works. Nonetheless, you can call CIC for more clarification but sometime be sure you know very well your options otherwise CIC call center are misleading not at all times but occasionally.

tabznya

Jun 9, 2015
Funsho Heritage said:
Firstly, you need to get this right that your hubby don't have to fill any form ahead until the embassy responsible for PR processing for your country contact you. like Nigeria for instance now, the Canadian embassy in Accra is responsible for all west African countries

Now don't forget that you as principal applicant had earlier declared your husband or wife in your PR application sent to Vegreville. So no confuse out here.

Hope this helps?
Yes, we received the email from Singapore Embassy. Truth be told, only after I followed up with Singapore Embassy did they sent the email. The Vegreville Officer in her letter said that Singapore will contact my family member. After a month of not hearing from singapore, I sent a specific case inquiry to Singapore asking about the addtl information they are requiring as stated in the Vegreville Officer's letter. It is only then that they sent the email. One month was wasted in my processing time.

tabznya

Jun 9, 2015
Funsho Heritage said:
So dear, fill your form as the principal applicant. Principal applicant will apply under economic class, category caring for children/high medical class as it may applies to you. Wife or husband will apply following CIC letter/email from appropriate embassy under family and spouse category and if you have kids like me , your kids apply under family, child category.

Thats how it works. Nonetheless, you can call CIC for more clarification but sometime be sure you know very well your options otherwise CIC call center are misleading not at all times but occasionally.
Thank you so much for being so accomodating! I hope to pay it forward by helping others too who might be on the same boat.

Funsho Heritage

Star Member
Jan 10, 2015
tabznya said:
Yes, we received the email from Singapore Embassy. Truth be told, only after I followed up with Singapore Embassy did they sent the email. The Vegreville Officer in her letter said that Singapore will contact my family member. After a month of not hearing from singapore, I sent a specific case inquiry to Singapore asking about the additl information they are requiring as stated in the Vegreville Officer's letter. It is only then that they sent the email. One month was wasted in my processing time.

I can understand your worries from feminine point of view. However, it all depends on the volume of application the embassy have to deal with at a particular point in time. I never disturb them in my own case and its been about 5months now. Though I will be landing on Wednesday but then we were told that the processing time we be within 6 months.

For some it could be faster while for some applicants, theirs might be a little bit slower but the critical issue out here is " make sure at each stage of the process, that you have submitted all necessary documents needed" then you can go to sleep for all you cares.

Funsho Heritage

Star Member
Jan 10, 2015
tabznya said:
By the way, was your wife asked to fill out the Sponsored Spouse Questionnaire?

NO.

my wife did not fill any sponsored spouse Questionnaire.

The embassy in Accra sent us checklist of what they wanted and that was what we complied with.

If the embassy responsible for your country requested for the form, then your husband have to fill and submit it.

Frederickkk

Aug 26, 2015
Hello my friend:

I am currently on a post-graduation work permit and will be working for a private household as a live-in personal support worker (NOC3413.... Actually I am an LPN but it is so hard to get an LPN job right now :'()

I just wonder if working for a private household would be eligible for the new caregiver program, since the employer himself does not provide me with post-tax pays. All the salaries will be paid by pre-tax paycheques or bank deposit, without any tax deductions. I have no ideas about how to show CIC the proof of employment and experience with those pre-tax paycheques and bank transfers.

Since I am totally new to work, I wish that you might give me some explanations and suggestions...

Thanks a lot!!!!! :p

Funsho Heritage

Star Member
Jan 10, 2015
Frederickkk said:
Hello my friend:

I am currently on a post-graduation work permit and will be working for a private household as a live-in personal support worker (NOC3413.... Actually I am an LPN but it is so hard to get an LPN job right now :'()

I just wonder if working for a private household would be eligible for the new caregiver program, since the employer himself does not provide me with post-tax pays. All the salaries will be paid by pre-tax paycheques or bank deposit, without any tax deductions. I have no ideas about how to show CIC the proof of employment and experience with those pre-tax paycheques and bank transfers.

Since I am totally new to work, I wish that you might give me some explanations and suggestions...

Thanks a lot!!!!! :p
Yeah, you would qualify as a private caregiver with valid LPN registration/License after working for 24months but Have serious concern that you will be disqualify on the bases of your taxes.

If your employer does not remit tax to CRA, how are you going to have record of your employment? how do you think CIC will be able to track and calculate your period of employment? you've got to fix this.

Hope this helps?

Frederickkk

Aug 26, 2015
Funsho Heritage said:
Yeah, you would qualify as a private caregiver with valid LPN registration/License after working for 24months but Have serious concern that you will be disqualify on the bases of your taxes.

If your employer does not remit tax to CRA, how are you going to have record of your employment? how do you think CIC will be able to track and calculate your period of employment? you've got to fix this.

Hope this helps?
Your answer helps me a lot, thank you. I will think about this carefully.

After reading your reply, I asked some potential private household employers about T4 and revenue. Unfortunately, ALL OF THEM are not willing to provide me with post-tax paycheques: they only hope to pay in cash or pre-tax paycheques. They tell me that I have to be responsible for the tax remittance by myself, meaning that I have to go through all those paperworks to pay the tax fees on my own.

I am not sure if this could be considered as proof of employment and accepted by CIC.

Have you ever worked for a private household before? Did they give you T4 and post-tax pays or not?

Thanks a lot my friend

Funsho Heritage

Star Member
Jan 10, 2015
Frederickkk said:
Your answer helps me a lot, thank you. I will think about this carefully.

After reading your reply, I asked some potential private household employers about T4 and revenue. Unfortunately, ALL OF THEM are not willing to provide me with post-tax paycheques: they only hope to pay in cash or pre-tax paycheques. They tell me that I have to be responsible for the tax remittance by myself, meaning that I have to go through all those paperworks to pay the tax fees on my own.

I am not sure if this could be considered as proof of employment and accepted by CIC.

Have you ever worked for a private household before? Did they give you T4 and post-tax pays or not?

Thanks a lot my friend

Part of the document you have to submit with your application is CRA statement of account and you will need T4 to file for your tax refund for CRA to send you this document.

Your choice is you either choose to make money with no record of employment or you work and get record of employment.

As you must know as a holder of post-graduate open work permit,this kind of OPW is not extendable . The work permit is for you to transit your path to PR under any stream of your choice.

As to the questioned you asked, I did worked for private household employers(individual) but make sure my taxes were paid. Please try and read my previous posts.

If you must act, act now . If your PGOPW has 3years validity good for you but if its 1 or 2 years. You better act now and act wisely.

Hope this helps

Funsho Heritage

Star Member
Jan 10, 2015
My Timeline - Caring for Children class

Application received: 14th September, 2015
CC charged: 17th September, 2015
AIP/eligilibility letter: 18th September, 2015 - CIC requested more info about dependents, same sent and was received 21st September, 2015
CIC Letter: 22nd September, 2015 - No more documents required at our office in Vegreville, You will be contacted by Accra embassy

Accra Embassy: 23rd September, 2015 File opened for dependents, email containing checklist to submit more documents received.

Open Work permit: 30th September, 2015 Received 2 years open work permit in the mail. why??? . I included open work permit application.
For singles you don't have to include open work permit but for married from west Africa like me, I strongly recommend
this option, just in case there is delay in processing of your application.

OPW Date issued: 24/09/2015 with an expiry date 24/09/2017 Remark on permit: PR initial approval granted

Vegreville CIC: 13th January,2016 Your application is now completed, you will be contact by CIC winnipeg

Winnipeg CIC: 19th January, 2016 scheduled me for landing interview 3rd February, 2016
Winnipeg CIC: 3rd February, 2016 Landed as PR at CIC office Winnipeg, Accra embassy to issue Visa to dependents within 4-6weeks

cherryred07

Feb 4, 2016
Hello! Im new here :) Wow! Almost one month is the average processing for the new pathway ;) cant wait to apply for mine ;) just wondering, i heard that there is a quota for the number of applicants per pathway. Is there any chance to know if there is still a slot available? Cause ill be eligible to apply by the last quarter months of this year. And if you dont mind me asking, how did you apply for your pr? Is via online or paper? And can you include your owp application together with your pr application for the new pathway? Thank you so much.

Funsho Heritage

Star Member
Jan 10, 2015
cherryred07 said:
Hello! Im new here :) Wow! Almost one month is the average processing for the new pathway ;) cant wait to apply for mine ;) just wondering, i heard that there is a quota for the number of applicants per pathway. Is there any chance to know if there is still a slot available? Cause ill be eligible to apply by the last quarter months of this year. And if you dont mind me asking, how did you apply for your pr? Is via online or paper? And can you include your owp application together with your pr application for the new pathway? Thank you so much.
Read previous posts. The answer to your questions are all there.