+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How soon before work permit expiry do you have to apply for BOWP?

samsung123

Feb 28, 2018
Question is in the title. I read online it "should be" 30 days or more. But is it possible to do so a week or so before a work permit expires? I am tight on time for getting my AOR.

fireal.jon

Star Member
Aug 23, 2017
Kelowna, BC
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
15-08-2017
AOR Received.
15-08-2017
Med's Done....
14-09-2016
Passport Req..
06-11-2017
VISA ISSUED...
23-11-2017
LANDED..........
02-12-2017
If your current work permit isn't an IEC permit then you should be be ok as you will covered under implied status until the BOWP is approved/denied. If it gets denied and you can't appeal the decision (i.e there was an obvious oversight made by the CIC officer) then you will need to go down the visitor visa path. If you are under an IEC permit then implied status can't be used and you will need to become a visitor and stop working until the BOWP is approved.

Other considerations.. while you are on implied status don't leave the country, as you will lose your status. Also your SIN will probably expire with your current work permit, so applying for other jobs during this time could be problematic. Usually your current employer will just keep things rolling especially if you let them know about what is going on, that you are waiting for the BOWP and are legally allowed to keep working under implied status.

samsung123

Feb 28, 2018
If your current work permit isn't an IEC permit then you should be be ok as you will covered under implied status until the BOWP is approved/denied. If it gets denied and you can't appeal the decision (i.e there was an obvious oversight made by the CIC officer) then you will need to go down the visitor visa path. If you are under an IEC permit then implied status can't be used and you will need to become a visitor and stop working until the BOWP is approved.

Other considerations.. while you are on implied status don't leave the country, as you will lose your status. Also your SIN will probably expire with your current work permit, so applying for other jobs during this time could be problematic. Usually your current employer will just keep things rolling especially if you let them know about what is going on, that you are waiting for the BOWP and are legally allowed to keep working under implied status.
I am on an IEC, does this mean I'm not on implied status when submitting my BOWP application??

fireal.jon

Star Member
Aug 23, 2017
Kelowna, BC
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
15-08-2017
AOR Received.
15-08-2017
Med's Done....
14-09-2016
Passport Req..
06-11-2017
VISA ISSUED...
23-11-2017
LANDED..........
02-12-2017
I am on an IEC, does this mean I'm not on implied status when submitting my BOWP application??
Yes, I believe so. IEC permits state that they cannot be extended, so implied status isn't valid for someone on one. Some people have been told by CIC agents that you can, but I believe there is documentation from CIC website that says implied stsus is not valid for permits that can't be extended (such as IEC).

I was actually totally unaware of this fact when I applied for a BOWP, well actually I was on my then spouses BOWP as a SOWP.. We both assumed implied status for a few months unknowingly. I only found out a year later!! Neither of us got caught, and we both have PR now.. however it seems we were ignorantly in the wrong at the time.

- btw I wouldn't suggest taking the risk just because of my experience. If we had known we wouldn't have kept working at the time.

Reactions: jes_ON

kiesha

Mar 10, 2018
My work permit was for 1 year and I applied on the very last day of my work permit for the BOWP. This was the very same day I applied for Express Entry and I received the ITA 4 days later, submitted my permanent residency application a month later, attached the file to the previous application and still got the BOWP.

kiesha

Mar 10, 2018
Great. Do I also need to apply to become a visitor a month before just to be safe so I can at least stay here if the BOWP isn't approved?
I personally was advised not to apply for a visitors visa that close to when my status would expire in the country. It is best to wait until a decision is made on your work permit application (whether approved or rejected).

After your status expires you have 90 days to either leave the country or restore visitors status.

Reactions: jes_ON

fq786

Jun 9, 2021
I personally was advised not to apply for a visitors visa that close to when my status would expire in the country. It is best to wait until a decision is made on your work permit application (whether approved or rejected).

After your status expires you have 90 days to either leave the country or restore visitors status.
I found your answer helpful! Can you please answer this post if you know it? https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/work-permit-expiring.824942/

fq786

Jun 9, 2021
Yes, I believe so. IEC permits state that they cannot be extended, so implied status isn't valid for someone on one. Some people have been told by CIC agents that you can, but I believe there is documentation from CIC website that says implied stsus is not valid for permits that can't be extended (such as IEC).

I was actually totally unaware of this fact when I applied for a BOWP, well actually I was on my then spouses BOWP as a SOWP.. We both assumed implied status for a few months unknowingly. I only found out a year later!! Neither of us got caught, and we both have PR now.. however it seems we were ignorantly in the wrong at the time.

- btw I wouldn't suggest taking the risk just because of my experience. If we had known we wouldn't have kept working at the time.
Hi there! My work permit is expiring soon. I am wondering if you know the answer to my questions here? https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/work-permit-expiring.824942/
Would really appreciate it!
Thanks

bp8492

Star Member
Dec 2, 2018
I have applied for PR via EE and have received my AOR, but my UCI still begins with CAN instead of UCI. Do I have to wait until it changes to start with UCI before applying for BOWP?