+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How much processing time to get fresh/first Canada passport after grant of citizenship

EstherBarros

Aug 18, 2014
BC- Canada
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
17-11-2014
Doc's Request.
02-07-2015
AOR Received.
03-02-2015
File Transfer...
14-02-2015
Med's Done....
23-09-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
19-08-2015
LANDED..........
22-08-2015
Is the citizenship certificate accepted for land border crossings between the time of the oath and receipt of your first passport? I ask because I'm a truck driver and my job is to travel to the US every week so will need to cross the border for at least a short period of time before the new passport arrives.
Still at "In Process" at the moment and awaiting a test date so probably ages to go but I'm curious.
Based you that, you may qualify for urgent processing of the passport, I think.
Hopefully someone else with more experience will chime in!

Reactions: robinhood_1984

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
Is the citizenship certificate accepted for land border crossings between the time of the oath and receipt of your first passport? I ask because I'm a truck driver and my job is to travel to the US every week so will need to cross the border for at least a short period of time before the new passport arrives.
Still at "In Process" at the moment and awaiting a test date so probably ages to go but I'm curious.
Yes, the certificate is sufficient for a land crossing. I used mine a few weeks ago without any issue.

uncomfortable

May 11, 2017
Based you that, you may qualify for urgent processing of the passport, I think.
Hopefully someone else with more experience will chime in!
Urgent processing of the passport should not be a "privilege" you qualify for, considering you pay extra for it...
Regardless of that, even the express procedure takes at least a week for new citizens: it takes 2-3 business day before your name is added to the registry and therefore you can apply, then the express procedure requires 2 business days. That's a working week. I have been saying this for a while: if your job requires traveling abroad, are you supposed to take a week off so you can get a passport?

EstherBarros

Aug 18, 2014
BC- Canada
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
17-11-2014
Doc's Request.
02-07-2015
AOR Received.
03-02-2015
File Transfer...
14-02-2015
Med's Done....
23-09-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
19-08-2015
LANDED..........
22-08-2015
Urgent processing of the passport should not be a "privilege" you qualify for, considering you pay extra for it...
Regardless of that, even the express procedure takes at least a week for new citizens: it takes 2-3 business day before your name is added to the registry and therefore you can apply, then the express procedure requires 2 business days. That's a working week. I have been saying this for a while: if your job requires traveling abroad, are you supposed to take a week off so you can get a passport?
There are conditions to applying for an urgent passport, though, this is what I meant, "Emergency" as in "Urgent", not just express (I apologize if I was not clear):

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/urgent-emergency-passport.html

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
Urgent pick up is next business day. You could get it on the third day.

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
Other options available to you:
--------------------------------------------
Find out if you are eligible for a special authorization to board your flight to Canada
You can apply for a special authorization if you:

• have a flight to Canada that leaves in less than 10 days, and
  • have a valid passport from a visa-exempt country.
And one of the following:

• have previously received a certificate of Canadian citizenship, or
  • held a Canadian passport in the past, or
  • were granted Canadian citizenship after having been a permanent resident of Canada.
Your information will be verified in our electronic systems to confirm that you are a Canadian citizen. This authorization will be valid for only 4 days from the date of travel you select on the form. If you don’t use it within this time, you will need to apply for a new authorization.

--------------------------------------------

Emergency help in Canada on a weekend and statutory holiday
If you need your passport over the weekend or on a statutory holiday, call 1-800-567-6868.

This service is only for emergencies and only if you have to travel over that weekend or statutory holiday.

If you meet the requirements, you must make sure all of your required documents are ready, including your:

• completed application form
  • passport photos
  • valid proof of travel showing you’re travelling before the end of the next business day