+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How much processing time to get fresh/first Canada passport after grant of citizenship

moga_PB29

Jun 12, 2015
Brampton,Ontario
Visa Office......
New Delhi
App. Filed.......
26 November 2014
Nomination.....
March 2015
AOR Received.
AOR 1: Feb 2015 , AOR 2: April 2015
Med's Request
May 2016
Med's Done....
Oct 2014 and May 2016
Interview........
approved/waived
VISA ISSUED...
July 2016
LANDED..........
August 2016
I have an Inquiry, my wife will be attending citizenship ceremony in coming days, she passed citizenship test,
how much time she will take to get her first Canada Passport after application at CANADA PASSPORT office ? where should we submit complete passport application along with citizenship certificate PASSPORT CANADA officer or SERVICE CANADA office to get passport faster ? Thanks.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I have an Inquiry, my wife will be attending citizenship ceremony in coming days, she passed citizenship test,
how much time she will take to get her first Canada Passport after application at CANADA PASSPORT office ? where should we submit complete passport application along with citizenship certificate PASSPORT CANADA officer or SERVICE CANADA office to get passport faster ? Thanks.
Passport office and it will totally depend on how much work your particular passport office is doing. In my case, Kitchener took 48 hours total between me handing in my non-urgent application, to it being in the post back to me.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
And on the flip side , I’ve had multiple passports issued to me over the years, Canadian born, and my last renewal took three weeks . Application was mailed to Ottawa , processed in Kelowna for some reason , and they called the people I listed on the application as knowing me for years

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
The important part is: If you want your passport quick, go to a passport office in person. Applications in person a handled much faster than mail-in ones.

Also, if possible go to an ACTUAL passport office. Note that in some communities, Service Canada also offers Passport services. But again, they are slower.

If you live in a rural community, you might not have the luxury of an in-person application. In that case you'll have to live with mail-in.

Reactions: ChippyBoy

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
I went to a Service Canada since I didn't have time to get to a passport office. They told me that with mailing time, I'd be looking at close to 5 weeks. Definitely go to a passport office if you're in any kind of hurry.

Reactions: ChippyBoy and Goku

uncomfortable

May 11, 2017
While scouring the Canada.ca website I discovered an option I was not aware of. I have been reading this forum for over a year now and I had never read anything about it so far.

I finally got the invitation for the oath on 22 August, but I have a trip to the US planned for 24 August. There will be no chance to get a new passport in time, therefore the plan was to leave Canada with my other passport and then request a temporary travel document once in the US.
I have realized that it is possible to obtain a special authorization if you:
  • have a flight to Canada that leaves in less than 10 days,
  • have a valid passport from a visa-exempt country,
And:
  • have previously received a certificate of Canadian citizenship, or
  • held a Canadian passport in the past, or
  • you were granted Canadian citizenship after having been a permanent resident of Canada.
Of course this is limited to those coming from a visa-exempt country, but it looks like it is much easier than an emergency travel document and it allows a one-off get-out-of-jail card for those who need to travel straight after the oath.

Has anyone used this procedure, or know anyone who has used this procedure?

Last edited:

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
Well, if its a short trip and you got a return ticket, perhaps try to talk to citizenship official AFTER oath is completed (don't leave without talking to them) and see if they can help you by putting you in the system quickly. That's on Aug 22.
Then on 23rd you go to Passport office (as soon as they open), apply for urgent passport...explain your situation to them....but make sure your references/guarantor are ready to accept phone call from passport canada............you may be able to get urgent passport at the passport office (stay there in case they ask u to) same day or next day pickup early morning.

Worst case you go to usa and carry your citizenship certificate with you for showin CBSA when coming back.

Or ofcourse, delay your plans until u get passport. It helps if u got a passport from a good country that doesn't require usa/canada visas.

uncomfortable

May 11, 2017
Well, if its a short trip and you got a return ticket, perhaps try to talk to citizenship official AFTER oath is completed (don't leave without talking to them) and see if they can help you by putting you in the system quickly. That's on Aug 22.
Then on 23rd you go to Passport office (as soon as they open), apply for urgent passport...explain your situation to them....but make sure your references/guarantor are ready to accept phone call from passport canada............you may be able to get urgent passport at the passport office (stay there in case they ask u to) same day or next day pickup early morning.

Worst case you go to usa and carry your citizenship certificate with you for showin CBSA when coming back.

Or ofcourse, delay your plans until u get passport. It helps if u got a passport from a good country that doesn't require usa/canada visas.
Thanks for the advice, but it's a triple somersault with one and a half twist. This is all based on:
- the citizenship officials at the oath putting my name "quickly" in the system, i.e. doing something outside normal procedures
- the passport office people process my urgent passport application faster than intended, i.e. doing something outside normal procedures
- myself spending 2 days running around like crazy to get this done, including making sure guarantors and references are available to take calls.
It's a lot of work with a lot of things that need to go the right way, and even better than the best case scenario, with no guarantee this is even going to work and no backup plan.

This will be in alternative to filling up an online form and wait for IRCC to make a decision on a normal procedure. Or, worst case scenario, apply for an emergency travel document at a Consulate while in the US (another standard procedure).

I think I like my plan better.

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
I went to a Service Canada since I didn't have time to get to a passport office. They told me that with mailing time, I'd be looking at close to 5 weeks. Definitely go to a passport office if you're in any kind of hurry.
Just to provide a conclusion to my own experience, I received my passport today, so it took 4 weeks exactly after dropping the application at a Service Canada office.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Just to provide a conclusion to my own experience, I received my passport today, so it took 4 weeks exactly after dropping the application at a Service Canada office.
Selecting the Service Canada route probably added a significant delay.

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
Selecting the Service Canada route probably added a significant delay.
No doubt. The only benefit was that they can confirm the documents and give them back to you, rather than mailing them. And I live near one. Otherwise, it's no different than mailing it in.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
No doubt. The only benefit was that they can confirm the documents and give them back to you, rather than mailing them. And I live near one. Otherwise, it's no different than mailing it in.
Turning up at the Passport Canada office in Kitchener was the best option for me. Same immediate check of my documents and no need to risk Canada Post getting their hands on them.

Reactions: ChippyBoy

ibry

Jul 25, 2010
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Mine took 48 hrs express

Last edited:

robinhood_1984

Jan 22, 2018
Is the citizenship certificate accepted for land border crossings between the time of the oath and receipt of your first passport? I ask because I'm a truck driver and my job is to travel to the US every week so will need to cross the border for at least a short period of time before the new passport arrives.
Still at "In Process" at the moment and awaiting a test date so probably ages to go but I'm curious.