+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long is the process for background check?

vic48912

Star Member
Nov 30, 2007
nmc88 said:
I hope someone can give me some answers to my situation...

I've been waiting for an answer from immigration for over 4 years now. I applied in October 2009, passed the citizenship test in January 2011 and nothing ever since. I knew I passed the test and an the immigration agent confirmed that as well. I have never being asked for any additional documents since they transferred my file to Montreal office and every time I called immigration, same story: they are doing my criminal check, then immigration and background check and it never ends! I contacted my MP and after several phone calls to immigration, they weren't able to get any further. I called few days ago again but the story hasn't changed, the immigration agent said it's still in process and they are still waiting for my background check to be done. When asked how long does it take and what exactly are they verifying he just said that each case is different and to just wait.

So my question is: what are they verifying exactly and how long is the process? I know that it's only valid for one year only so if it expires again, does it mean I have to wait indefinite time? Any advice?

Thank you in advance!
:)

Your case is strange! Did cic request for your finger print?

nmc88

Sep 13, 2012
No, no fingerprints and no additional documents...
Last agent I talked to suggested I write a letter to the local office, which I did today and we'll see if I get any update from them.

I'm presently pregnant (due in two months) so I'm focussing on that and if nothing happens in the meantime, I will definitely contact a lawyer this summer.

I'm from Montreal and unfortunately yet again I won't be able to vote in the upcoming elections and that's really frustrating. At least knowing there are other people in the same situation helps a little bit. Sometimes I'm thinking that maybe they lost my application? :(

Inaki

Jan 31, 2012
I also sent a letter to my local office as a friendly reminder that more than 1,300 days have passed by without a response from CIC and offering to contact me if any information or follow up was required to expedite the process.

Hopefully someone takes a minute to look at my dusty file.

hanisaf

Star Member
Sep 24, 2013
Hi nmc88,

I understand your situation because I had been in this situation when I applied for PR though. I had to wait three years for the BC and to repeat the medical exam and renew CSQ. In my case I just waited, I didn't have enough resources to consult a lawyer.

4and5

Dec 6, 2015
Is there an update on this issue ? I have been reading similar stories where applicants wait for backround checks for excessive amounts of time without any update, additional request etc.

I wonder how often this happens and how it gets resolved.

nmc88 said:
No criminal record, didn't leave Canada for longer than a week a the time (once in 2-3years), have a good job, so that's what I was thinking, maybe they lost my file? I will give them another month because of the upcoming holidays and then I'll have to do something about it.
I'm pregnant now and I think that my baby will be a Canadian citizen sooner than me! :))

Thank you for your support!