+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long does it take to update Nexus after I receive Canadian citizenship?

sansnom

Mar 10, 2017
Drop-in in YYZ is definitely fine. HOWEVER, unless one is a US citizen, they will take away your NEXUS card and mail you a new one. The Global Entry to US will be active immediately as it is lined to your passport, so it is good at the airport entry to US. On the way back to Canada or at a land entry to US, one cannot use NEXUS until the new card arrives. [I got this information in 2015 from the NEXUS office at Whirlpool Bridge].

vanheartyvr

Mar 9, 2018
The info I got at the enrollment center in Vancouver is that I don't have to ask for a new card, unless I want one showing CAN as citizenship. As long as I travel with both passport and nexus it should be fine, but if I am crossing by land and want to carry only Nexus, then I need to update it. My boyfriend is Canadian and only shows the nexus card crossing, even tho he has the passport with him in case it is requested, never had any problems. As I always travel with passport anyways, I will leave as is. Now one thing... he also said he was updating only on Canadian side, I would have to log in on my TPP account to update there on the American side, but there is no option to insert passport. The Canadian citizenship shows there already, as I took the certificate to them for update as soon as I got it. I will give few more days and log in again to see if my passport is showing there...

2_of_5

Aug 16, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2012
LANDED..........
27-06-2013
Interesting topic, as I will also have to update my Nexus, and I was wondering about the citizenship on it. Now one question: I do have a valid I-94 (I hold a visa for the States) and I wasn't thinking of crossing the border before my oath. Has anyone crossed the border back to Canada as a Canadian and asked to return the I-94 to the border agent? I might end up just mailing it to the address they post online with notice of my acquired Canadian citizenship, don't really wanna drive there on the weekend even tho it's a short drive... so if anyone has done that and can share the experience, I appreciate it!

And yes! Update your info with Nexus! I got in trouble once when I forgot to update my new I-94! And you can just walk in without appointment in YVR as well.
My wife and I took our oath on 21 March, and had our passports shortly afterward. We made our first trip together to the US during Memorial Day weekend, and we brought her I-94 with us to turn in on our way back into Canada. I handed it to the CBSA agent at the Blue Water Bridge, and told her that my wife had recently received her citizenship, and could we turn the I-94 in there? She said no problem, and wished us a nice day. My wife is from the Philippines, and she lost her Philippines citizenship when she took the oath, so I would guess that her US Visa and I-94 were voided at the same time.

2_of_5

Aug 16, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2012
LANDED..........
27-06-2013
Does the card show both US and CAN citizenship's for dual holders?
No, I'm US/Canada dual, and when I updated my info, the very gruff CBP officer at the Ambassador Bridge just took my NEXUS card and Canadian passport, clicked around on his computer for a few minutes then handed them back to me.

I crossed a few days ago back into Canada using my NEXUS card in a non-NEXUS lane and asked the CBSA officer if my new Canadian citizenship showed up on her screen. She said since the Americans run the NEXUS program, they do not acknowledge dual citizens, and that I showed up as solely a US citizen. She said she saw that I had my Canadian passport with me, so she didn't ask more questions, but that potentially I could get questioned about my status in Canada or what "the purpose of my visit" was when entering with NEXUS because there is no indication that I am Canadian in the system.

? o_O ?

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Does the card show both US and CAN citizenship's for dual holders?
The physical card itself can only show one citizenship. If you have a US citizenship, you should always have that listed on the card to avoid hassles with CBP.

If the card is scanned, both citizenships will be listed.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
She said since the Americans run the NEXUS program, they do not acknowledge dual citizens, and that I showed up as solely a US citizen. She said she saw that I had my Canadian passport with me, so she didn't ask more questions, but that potentially I could get questioned about my status in Canada or what "the purpose of my visit" was when entering with NEXUS because there is no indication that I am Canadian in the system.

? o_O ?
I'm pretty sure both citizenships are listed in the system. Or at least both passports. I see both listed in GOES.

TLHeart

Sep 12, 2017
I just got my CAN passport today and need to update Nexus at Pearson. Curious to hear when I do drop in, how long is the wait usually? Are there better times to go vs not? This is the last step in the process and I am pretty excited to get this done! Yay.

vanheartyvr

Mar 9, 2018
Posting again just as I am finally done with updating all docs! So I went to YVR airport with certificate of citizenship to update info. I did not have yet the passport to update, but since I'd be there anyways picking up a friend, I did it. Within one week it was showing on my TPP account. I received my Canadian passport and went there again to update it. They entered the info but told me that I'd also have to update it on my TPP account, since they only do it on the Canadian side. Well, TPP account only allows you to update info on docs already there, it does not allow entering new ones. One week and nothing of my passport info showing there... so I went to the Nexus centre in Blaine, WA, and updated it there. He said info about my PR was gone and I asked if I had to request new card with Canadian nationality. He answered that only if I wanted to, but if I was going to keep dual citizenship, it would be ok carrying the card with the Brazilian citizenship, as long as I always have the Canadian passport with me while using Nexus. And the passport will be the document I will be scanning if using Global Entry at airports. When I got home I checked my TPP account again and passport info was already there. I had no issues crossing the border with Nexus. Just glad it's all done now!!!

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
I just got my CAN passport today and need to update Nexus at Pearson. Curious to hear when I do drop in, how long is the wait usually? Are there better times to go vs not? This is the last step in the process and I am pretty excited to get this done! Yay.
I did a drop in at Pearson a few years back and I had to wait maybe 15 minutes. You sign you name on the drop-in list and they will call you in order. It would totally depend on how many people are doing a drop-in so try to go at a non-peak time for the airport if possible (like Wednesday early afternoon or something like that)

uncomfortable

May 11, 2017
...I asked if I had to request new card with Canadian nationality. He answered that only if I wanted to, but if I was going to keep dual citizenship, it would be ok carrying the card with the Brazilian citizenship, as long as I always have the Canadian passport with me while using Nexus. And the passport will be the document I will be scanning if using Global Entry at airports.
But if you are not listed as Canadian in NEXUS, you would not qualify for PreCheck in the US. That would be a huge down side for me.

vanheartyvr

Mar 9, 2018
But if you are not listed as Canadian in NEXUS, you would not qualify for PreCheck in the US. That would be a huge down side for mesystem says your are Canadian as well. And you carry the Caandian passport with Nexus. I haven’t used it at the airport yet but crossing the border by car I had no issues so far.
But if you are not listed as Canadian in NEXUS, you would not qualify for PreCheck in the US. That would be a huge down side for me.
The Canadian citizenship will be on the system, not on the card, reason why you also have the passport handy. I have used my Nexus in airports before becoming a citizen (the Nexus line, no idea if it was PreCheck or not) and it was not an issue. Haven’t used yet to fly now that I am Canadian but I had no issues crossing the border by car.

uncomfortable

May 11, 2017
I just went today to the NEXUS office to update my file as soon as I received my first Canadian Passport. They told me that the physical card needs to be reprinted since the citizenship needs to be updated. That sucks because not only I have to pay $25 for a new card, but I will remain two weeks without the card, therefore unable to access the preferential lines at security and unable to use the NEXUS gates when returning into Canada.
I feel it's a let-down since I am taken away a privilege I was granted only for administrative reasons. There should be a way to bridge this gap.

I know it's a minor issue, but it's still freaking annoying.

tenacioustopanga

Star Member
Dec 9, 2017
I just went today to the NEXUS office to update my file as soon as I received my first Canadian Passport. They told me that the physical card needs to be reprinted since the citizenship needs to be updated. That sucks because not only I have to pay $25 for a new card, but I will remain two weeks without the card, therefore unable to access the preferential lines at security and unable to use the NEXUS gates when returning into Canada.
I feel it's a let-down since I am taken away a privilege I was granted only for administrative reasons. There should be a way to bridge this gap.

I know it's a minor issue, but it's still freaking annoying.
This is so confusing. I went into Vancouver and was told that I don’t need a new card even though I was giving up my old citizenship and acquiring Canadian. They just took a copy of my passport and nexus and said it would be updated in 5 business days. I guess I’ll check in a week and go in again...