+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long do I have to be a Permanent Resident to Sponsor my spouse?

carlucho34

Star Member
Jan 1, 2016
Hey guys,

How long do I have to be a Permanent Resident to Sponsor my spouse? I'm trying to find info about this but I've had no luck.

Ps. I haven't been sponsored by a former partner.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
there is no time frame for sponsoring your spouse. you are free to sponsor your spouse whenever you can compile the application and required documentation. if you are a PR, you are required to be living in Canada during the entire process.

carlucho34

Star Member
Jan 1, 2016
Thanks a lot for your response. So I can start the process from the day a get a PR card?

I received an ITEA earlier this month. I decided to say my partner was not coming with me as our points wouldn't give us an ITA. I thought I'd get the PR and then sponsor him, but since points are going down my question is: Can I say he's coming to Canada with me now?". Our points together reach 447, let's say next draw is 447. Can I then change that info? I don't want to decline this ITA and then miss the chance, as there's no guarantee points will stay this low.

For the record, we both live in Canada and our open work permits expire in 2019.

As you can see, I'm just trying to come up with the best plan.

Bcboundboy

Aug 16, 2016
carlucho34 said:
Thanks a lot for your response. So I can start the process from the day a get a PR card?

I received an ITEA earlier this month. I decided to say my partner was not coming with me as our points wouldn't give us an ITA. I thought I'd get the PR and then sponsor him, but since points are going down my question is: Can I say he's coming to Canada with me now?". Our points together reach 447, let's say next draw is 447. Can I then change that info? I don't want to decline this ITA and then miss the chance, as there's no guarantee points will stay this low.

For the record, we both live in Canada and our open work permits expire in 2019.

As you can see, I'm just trying to come up with the best plan.
Have you ever lived together for over a year?

If so, you must declare him as your common law partner. If you do not, you will never be eligible to sponsor him as your partner.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
I believe you don't even need to wait for your pr card. i believe you can submit an application to sponsor your spouse as soon as your PR status is activated by landing as a PR.

has your PR application been approved? did you declare your spouse in that application as either accompanying or non-accompanying? if you did not declare your spouse in your PR application and your application has been approved, then you will be barred from ever sponsoring him in the future. if you have been approved by PR, and you listed your spouse as "non accompanying", then there shouldn't be any issue applying to sponsor them through spousal sponsorship.

if you are trying to determine if you want to change your spouse from non-accompanying to accompanying in a current economic stream PR application, then you will want to ask this question in the foreign workers section of this forum. This board is specific to PRs and Canadians who are sponsoring family members through family sponsorship, not through economic streams.

carlucho34

Star Member
Jan 1, 2016
Bcboundboy said:
Have you ever lived together for over a year?

If so, you must declare him as your common law partner. If you do not, you will never be eligible to sponsor him as your partner.
Yes, almost 7 years now.