+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long can you be out of Canada?

a_wonn

Mar 4, 2011
Hello,

My wife and I we both currently live and work in England. However, I am also a canadian citizen, as I hold dual nationality (british and cdn).

I'm currently sponsoring my wife to immigrate to Canada, we have just recieved an email from immigration Canada that her permenant resident visa will expire in Sept 2011.

I cannot leave my job in England for atleast another year due to work.

So I wanted to know if this would work, if my wife goes to Canada for 1 week or 2 weeks in Sept 2011, and then returns to England, and then we move to Canada together in approx June 2012.

Is this allowed?

Please Advise.

shakira2009

Star Member
Aug 29, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
first Manila, now Tokyo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-10-2005
AOR Received.
06-11-2005
File Transfer...
10-10-2009
Med's Request
25-01-2010
Med's Done....
10-02-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
25-01-2010
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2010
LANDED..........
10-09-2010
Hi a_wonn,

So you sponsored your wife, she got the PR visa but hasn't done the "landing" (has never entered Canada on her PR visa), is this correct?

In that case, she could fly to Canada to do the landing procedures, stay for a week and then fly back to England. This is what many people do in order not to lose the PR visa -otherwise you need to do all the procedures again from the start! I also did it without problems and am currently living outside of Canada. Hopefully I'll move there next year.

Hope this helps!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, it is allowed. She can land as a PR and either give an address of some relatives you know in Canada you trust to receive her PR card and mail it to you or another option would be to tell them that she doesn't have an address in Canada yet and use her 1-2 weeks to arrange a mailing address through UPS and then give that address to immigration to mail her card to where it should automatically be forwarded to you.

CIC will not mail her card to the UK and they will not mail it to an address in Canada either if they think she will not be there when it arrives. A 3rd option would be to say that she is only in Canada for 1-2 weeks and will not be getting her PR card at this time. This means that she will not get a PR card, will move to Canada in 2012 proving her PR with her landing papers and will then apply for a PR card again once she is in Canada to stay.

a_wonn

Mar 4, 2011
Hi Guys,

Her visa's are in the final stages, and I assume they will be ready in the next 6-8 weeks. Hence she has never entered Canada on a PR Visa.

My parents live in Toronto, so the plan is for her to stay with them for a week or 2, and then come back to England, and then most likely we will move together in 2012

gotooncanada

May 4, 2011
landing must be completed to be a PR after receiving the visa, mostly before 1 year from the date of medicals. Its better if she returns to England after receiving her PR card and then go back whenever you wish.