+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How long can a sponsored person leave Canada during application period?

chongshum

Dec 15, 2018
Hi, I am a sponsored person applying for "In Canada Class" spouse sponsorship, and my sponsor is a Canadian citizen.
Furthermore, my passport is issued by a visa-exempt country, so I can leave and reenter Canada without a problem.
I have some family matter to attend to in my home country, how long am I allowed to leave without affecting my application?

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
Hi, I am a sponsored person applying for "In Canada Class" spouse sponsorship, and my sponsor is a Canadian citizen.
Furthermore, my passport is issued by a visa-exempt country, so I can leave and reenter Canada without a problem.
I have some family matter to attend to in my home country, how long am I allowed to leave without affecting my application?
There's no defined timeline, although short trips (couple weeks or less) generally seem to be fine. Extended trips call into question that you meet the requirement of being inside Canada. In addition you have to be aware that if you are refused re-entry your application will be abandoned. Assuming you meet admissibility requirements you should be fine, but it is a risk to be aware of.

Reactions: canuck_in_uk