+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

how long can a protected person stay out of canada?

Kingofthenorth1378

Jun 28, 2019
Hi guys
I have a question. with these exceptional circumstances and no straight prediction about how long our PR process gonna take. I wanted to travel to a third country to take care of my sick father while my application gets processed. so I was wondering that, is there any restriction on how long protected persons can stay out of the country or not?

Reactions: foreign11

foreign11

Jan 29, 2020
Hi guys
I have a question. with these exceptional circumstances and no straight prediction about how long our PR process gonna take. I wanted to travel to a third country to take care of my sick father while my application gets processed. so I was wondering that, is there any restriction on how long protected persons can stay out of the country or not?
Brother do you have any answer? :)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The limits about how long you can stay are often set by the 3rd country. There may be extra rules about who can enter the 3rd country due to covid. In general I would recommend spending as much time in Canada as possible establishing your life in Canada. Don't think there any exact rules but the optics are not good if you spend months abroad. During a pandemic you may get stuck for a long time. Many people are in a position where they want/need to work and are trying to start their lives in Canda. If you are receiving any form of benefit that will be impacted if you leave Canada. Given covid, Canada will unlikely be able to provide any help if you get stuck abroad and get sick. You will also need to get your RTD.

foreign11

Jan 29, 2020
For family reasons, can I wait for the result of the session with my wife in another country?
Because I have so many family problems
That's why, I don't want to stay alone my wife.
I will give to apply immigration our status and problems

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/travel-documents-non-canadians/document-types.html

The website says that the validity period for a RTD is determined by the issuing office, so they will probably ask you for the reason why you need to travel outside of Canada. If they accept your reason, you can expect they would only give you enough time to finish what you need to do then to return to Canada. If they don't accept your reason, they'll deny your RTD application and you won't be able to travel.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
For family reasons, can I wait for the result of the session with my wife in another country?
Because I have so many family problems
That's why, I don't want to stay alone my wife.
I will give to apply immigration our status and problems
You are unlikely to find a country willing to let you stay for more than a few months maximum. Usually those on RTD are given a 30-90 day visa. The optics are not very good if you have asked for protection from Canada and you’re supposed to be creating a life In Canada so when your family arrives you are better prepared to care for your family but you reman out of Canada for a long term.