+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

how long a person can stay on second entry of Supervisa to Canada?

jass1313

Aug 25, 2018
Hi Guys,

I have a question related to supervisa stay - Second entry to canada
1. My mother came to canada , first time in 2017 and stayed here in canada for 1 month and she went back to india( at that time , got stamped for 2 yrs)
2. Now, she came to canada in May 2018 for second time on Super visa to canada, but she didn't get any date written on the stamp- she got the stamp this time also - (no date mentioned on the stamp)

My concern here is to know:
Whether she can live for next 2 yrs in canada?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
Hi Guys,

1. My mother came to canada , first time in 2017 and stayed here in canada for 1 month and she went back to india( at that time , got stamped for 2 yrs)
2. Now, she came to canada in May 2018 for second time on Super visa to canada, but she didn't get any date written on the stamp- she got the stamp this time also - (no date mentioned on the stamp)

No stamps means 6 months stay. If she was given stamp for 2 years last time then she should have given stamp for 2 years when she entered this time but she was not so its most likely she was give 6 months stay.

Reactions: Hummingbird89

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
No stamps means 6 months stay. If she was given stamp for 2 years last time then she should have given stamp for 2 years when she entered this time but she was not so its most likely she was give 6 months stay.
Agreed. Unless it explicitly stated that some other time period (shorter or longer) applied, the default is six months. Absence of a stamp is also six months. As far as I am aware, only the very first entry after the visa was received is eligible for the maximum two years, if granted by CBSA, even if the holder decides not to use it all. Subsequent entries are only the default maximum of six months.

jass1313

Aug 25, 2018
Thanks so much for the information!

I just have seen on one website : saying according to changes on June, 2018 from CIC : The person can live for 2 yrs on each visit.

Do you have any information about any changes in June2018 this year?

NOTE: Please see this link of cic for more updates : https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/updates/2018-super-visa-guidance.html

I am not able to understand from the above link. It says: The guidance for super visa holders has been updated to reflect that each entry to Canada should be for a duration of up to 2 years and extensions should be for 1 year. Specific instructions for border services officers and processing offices in Canada have been updated.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Reactions: dadbangalore

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Others can comment as well think the issue may be your mother landed this time in May 2018 so before the rule change so the stay was authorised under old rules at the border .

To stay longer although given this is a new recent change maybe she maybe needs to go through the extend stay as visitor process or exit/enter or flagpole with her extended medical insurance of course and any other entry requirements.

These changes that are made whilst someone is in the country always seem a grey area that IRCC do not seem to issue specific guidance on to the public.

Above is my personal interpretation so contacting IRCC might be the option for clarification, although suspect that using the formal extend stay as a visitor process might be the answer as opposed to assuming a rule change is applied retrospectively to someone already in Canada.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=426&top=16

Reactions: jass1313

dadbangalore

Star Member
Sep 8, 2013
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
LANDED..........
27-02-2017
Thanks so much for the information!

I just have seen on one website : saying according to changes on June, 2018 from CIC : The person can live for 2 yrs on each visit.

Do you have any information about any changes in June2018 this year?

NOTE: Please see this link of cic for more updates : https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/updates/2018-super-visa-guidance.html

I am not able to understand from the above link. It says: The guidance for super visa holders has been updated to reflect that each entry to Canada should be for a duration of up to 2 years and extensions should be for 1 year. Specific instructions for border services officers and processing offices in Canada have been updated.

Thanks in advance!
Thanks for sharing the link. Checking in if you happened to verify with IRCC that if no handwritten date is on stamp in that case can EACH visit of Supervisa holder be upto 2 years ?

mbatta

Star Member
Mar 7, 2019
Hi Guys,

Hi Jass1313

If you could please guide on what happened in your case. As your mother entered in May 2018 and the updatesfor super visa to stay for 2 years on each visit came out on Jun 18th, 2018. Had she gone back in Nov 2018 or this update got applicable on her case as well and she was allowed to stay for 2 years.

Thanks In advance

Hummingbird89

Mar 18, 2023
Toronto
Category........
CEC
LANDED..........
Agreed. Unless it explicitly stated that some other time period (shorter or longer) applied, the default is six months. Absence of a stamp is also six months. As far as I am aware, only the very first entry after the visa was received is eligible for the maximum two years, if granted by CBSA, even if the holder decides not to use it all. Subsequent entries are only the default maximum of six months.
Not true. There are many here on this website whose parents have gotten a fresh two years even after flagpoling.