+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How is life in Toronto for people who moved from the US?

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
There are always pros and cons... We came from Europe (Ireland), where we both had jobs and life wasn't bad. But I wouldn't want to go back there now. I like the health care here, diversity of restaurants and people in general... And in most companies you have a room to grow with education support.
In Ireland you have to pay 40 or 50 Euro every time you go to the doctor, even if it's simple sniffles. Here, I found hospital care outstanding (if you have realistic expectations) and it was free.
Yes, car insurance in GTA is outrages, but it's caused by the amount of accidents and claims. Unfortunately people that have no clue how to drive get licenses easily...
Sometimes I feel healthcare is the key magnet for government of Canada to keep people within Canada. Otherwise it is very much possible that half of the Canada might move out to US or other countries.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Why would you go there? Go to Alberta as it has much higher opportunities generally than those places and covers from day 1 if you are moving from different country. If you plan to do that, land in Calgary for safer side, even if you're moving later.. taxes are also bit lower I guess.
Her husband is undergoing an intracompany transfer. Setting up a life in another province is unlikely to be possible.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Sometimes I feel healthcare is the key magnet for government of Canada to keep people within Canada. Otherwise it is very much possible that half of the Canada might move out to US or other countries.
Public education is often of higher quality and postsecondary ed more affordable for good quality education. Safety, more liberal values, etc. Nordic countries often are rated for having the happiest population and the best quality of life. It's not all about money.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Public education is often of higher quality and postsecondary ed more affordable for good quality education. Safety, more liberal values, etc. Nordic countries often are rated for having the happiest population and the best quality of life. It's not all about money.
Public education is free in US too, and like in Canada quality depends according to the neighborhood. Nordic countries provide free college education too which is not the case in Canada. College Fees is cheaper than a comparable US in state tuition, but US offers higher wages , so it could be offset with few years of income.

Safety is fine, but one can always choose to settle in a crime free neighborhood in US too. For the population that US has, they are not doing a bad job either.

I agree guns are an issue for US. And much of liberal stance dilutes if healthcare is abolished.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Public education is free in US too, and like in Canada quality depends according to the neighborhood. Nordic countries provide free college education too which is not the case in Canada. College Fees is cheaper than a comparable US in state tuition, but US offers higher wages , so it could be offset with few years of income.

Safety is fine, but one can always choose to settle in a crime free neighborhood in US too. For the population that US has, they are not doing a bad job either.

I agree guns are an issue for US. And much of liberal stance dilutes if healthcare is abolished.
The quality of public education varies a lot less than in the US. There are much higher education standards for teachers in Canada and they are paid much more than in the US. Probably double the salary including exchange rate. The education you receive in a low income area in Canada is SO much better than the US. There are plenty of people in theUS who make 40k and lower. Yes the highest 30% probably make more factoring having to pay for at least a portion of their healthcare costs but things like minimum wage is much lower. The cost of living is just lower in many US cities so a 40k salary will go further. Liberal values doesn't really involve healthcare. I mean more accepting of diversity and valuing equality. The amount of deaths due to guns (violent or accidents) and other violent crimes are much higher than in Canada. They are just different countries.

ajithj

May 1, 2015
Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
2017-Mar
AOR Received.
2017-Mar
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
2017-Mar
Passport Req..
2017-May
LANDED..........
2017-Jun

Unlike in the US, in Canada the quality of public education does not vary much from low-income neighborhoods to high-income neighborhoods.

Also apart from healthcare there are few more liberal stuff in Canada. Canada child care benefit (CCB) pays around $6500 per year if you are making 75k in Ontario and have 2 children. CCB is paid until children reach 17 years of age.

Another liberal stuff is maternity leave. New mother's can take 1 year maternity leave with around 55% pay or 2 year maternity leave with around 28% pay.

Last edited:

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
My husband and I received our COPR last week and fortunately an intra company transfer is working out for my husband. If everything goes well, we will move in a couple of months. We live in the US now. Can anyone who settled before in the toronto area, help us get answers for these questions?

1. What is a good neighbourhood with Indian communities and affordable apartments? Whats is the average rent of a 2 bedroom apartment in these areas?

2. Is it advisable to bring your car from the US? I assume you will have to pay for parking and the car insurance is high? (We live in suburbian US now and have no issues with parking or insurance cost)

3. Any other things we should be aware of, moving from US?
I moveed to Toronto from NYC over 18 years ago.

1. Brampton is a suburb of the GTA near the Toronto international airport. There is a huge South Asian population there. But there are also large numbers in Mississauga, North York, Scarborough.... Rent can vary depending on where. If you are (near) downtown Toronto a 2BR can range from $1400/mo and up depending on how nice the building is and if it is near TTC. If you want a nice place downtown, you are looking at ~$2500+

2. Buying a car here is expensive so if you have a fairly new car, it is recommended. You will need to make adjustments to it to comply with Ontario laws (have km first for your speedometer, etc). The parking situation depends on where in the GTA you live. But one thing I can say is that parking costs in Toronto are much less than what I dealt with in NYC. Auto insurance varies also.

3. Nothing major. If you are from a major northern US city (like I was), it is a fairly smooth transition. Not much culture shock or anything. Things in general tend to cost more and taxes are higher (many goods have a 13% "sales" tax). So you will have less in your pocket. But there are more social services available (single payer health care, good maternity/paternity leave, etc). If you are a US citizen or green card holder, you will still have to file (and perhaps pay) US taxes even if you are completely settled in Canada. But that is true for any US citizen or green card holder living anywhere outside the US.

summerxx

Jun 12, 2016
I moveed to Toronto from NYC over 18 years ago.

1. Brampton is a suburb of the GTA near the Toronto international airport. There is a huge South Asian population there. But there are also large numbers in Mississauga, North York, Scarborough.... Rent can vary depending on where. If you are (near) downtown Toronto a 2BR can range from $1400/mo and up depending on how nice the building is and if it is near TTC. If you want a nice place downtown, you are looking at ~$2500+

2. Buying a car here is expensive so if you have a fairly new car, it is recommended. You will need to make adjustments to it to comply with Ontario laws (have km first for your speedometer, etc). The parking situation depends on where in the GTA you live. But one thing I can say is that parking costs in Toronto are much less than what I dealt with in NYC. Auto insurance varies also.

3. Nothing major. If you are from a major northern US city (like I was), it is a fairly smooth transition. Not much culture shock or anything. Things in general tend to cost more and taxes are higher (many goods have a 13% "sales" tax). So you will have less in your pocket. But there are more social services available (single payer health care, good maternity/paternity leave, etc). If you are a US citizen or green card holder, you will still have to file (and perhaps pay) US taxes even if you are completely settled in Canada. But that is true for any US citizen or green card holder living anywhere outside the US.
Thank you for sharing.
Wondering if you have anything to share regarding elementary school education. I'm taking my 6-year-old with me and is worried about choosing the right school.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Thank you for sharing.
Wondering if you have anything to share regarding elementary school education. I'm taking my 6-year-old with me and is worried about choosing the right school.
Sorry, I don't have kids so I never really paid attention to schools. Hopefully others here can comment

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for sharing.
School choice is based on where you live. You have the option between French immersion and English secular education and catholic English or French immersion although you don't have to be catholic to attend. There is a shortage of French immersion spots in the GTA so there is often a lottery for the spots. There is a ranking of schools available online by the Fraser institute I believe.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
School choice is based on where you live. You have the option between French immersion and English secular education and catholic English or French immersion although you don't have to be catholic to attend. There is a shortage of French immersion spots in the GTA so there is often a lottery for the spots. There is a ranking of schools available online by the Fraser institute I believe.
I checked that report and it lists a lot of Sikh, Muslim and Christian religious schools. Does it mean if a kid goes to such schools, they'll be taught the values of those religions? There are so many and it's bit surprising to see so.

Are there any charter schools available in Canada? In US such schools are 80% public funded and 20% on donations. They are of very good standards and free of cost. Good alternative to public schools.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I checked that report and it lists a lot of Sikh, Muslim and Christian religious schools. Does it mean if a kid goes to such schools, they'll be taught the values of those religions? There are so many and it's bit surprising to see so.

Are there any charter schools available in Canada? In US such schools are 80% public funded and 20% on donations. They are of very good standards and free of cost. Good alternative to public schools.
No charter schools and religious schools except catholic schools are private schools that you must pay out of pocket to attend. Yes religion is likely a large focus of those schools. The quality of the education is quite varied because they don't have the same standards when it comes to teachers. Would recommend the public school system.

Reactions: summerxx