+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How I organized our applcation and a summary of all helpful tips I have learned

spencrw

Apr 19, 2012
Just starting to compile all my evidence and I had a quick question - is it acceptable to use a highlighter pen on documents to highlight the relevant info or is this not allowed?

For example I have just printed off some phone bills which obviously itemize all of my calls & texts. Should I use a highlighter to indicate specifically the calls/texts to my spouse?

Also again using phone bills as an example do I have to include all the pages of the bill? If it is 10 pages long would it be better to only include the front page with my name/address and then any relevant page in order to make it easier for the officer and cut down on paperwork - or would this be deemed an incomplete document?

Thanks for any help

podkayne8

Star Member
Jun 7, 2011
Texas
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-01-2012
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
File Transfer...
06-03-2012, Tfer to Seattle 12-04-2012
Med's Done....
09-09-2011
Passport Req..
16-05-2012
VISA ISSUED...
01-06-2012
LANDED..........
22-07-2012, PR card rec'd 21-09-2102
spencrw said:
Just starting to compile all my evidence and I had a quick question - is it acceptable to use a highlighter pen on documents to highlight the relevant info or is this not allowed?

For example I have just printed off some phone bills which obviously itemize all of my calls & texts. Should I use a highlighter to indicate specifically the calls/texts to my spouse?

Also again using phone bills as an example do I have to include all the pages of the bill? If it is 10 pages long would it be better to only include the front page with my name/address and then any relevant page in order to make it easier for the officer and cut down on paperwork - or would this be deemed an incomplete document?

Thanks for any help
I am still awaiting PR so I can't say for sure but I highlighted the pertinent calls on my phone bill. I think that makes sense to do. I included the front page with my address and such and then just the pertinent pages of the bill. My thinking was they want evidence, not pages of stuff they don't need. Since the phone bill isn't an official document I don't think it can be considered incomplete - it is just supporting evidence. :)

Emily2301

May 15, 2011
Great job, pelipeli!!! I love that you included pictures! I'm just in the process of assembling everything and your post was so helpful! So thank you for that. I was a little bit intimidated by the size of your application but it also motivated me to see what you have done. And I totally understand why you did it. I tried to find as much proof as possible as well since my name is not on any utility bill or the mortgage. I worried alot about how to proof that we are in a common-law relationship. This forum gave me great ideas. I have to say that for me personally it is also nice to hear that some people included less proof and were approved. It is just nice to know. But to each their own! It might depend on your home country, too. I also think that some of us just like to be thorough and detailed and some are more to the point and concise (which I admire because everything takes me so long!).

I have one question: My answer to the development of our relationship kind of turned into a relationship essay. So I won't need to write another essay, do I? Or should I have kept that answer shorter (even though it is all about the development and what you said about it earlier!) and included a separate essay to attach at the end?? Thank you for taking the time to answer!

Good luck to everybody! Can't wait to send of this package!

PS: I have to confess that I was also stressed about paperclips and tabs...oh my. :-[

pelipeli

Champion Member
Sep 30, 2011
Calgary Alberta CND
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 25, 2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
Sponsor approved: May 1,2012; file rcvd by CEM: May 8
Med's Done....
Dec 19,2011
Passport Req..
PPR date: May10, PPR rcvd: May16, PP sent: May 17 ,PP rcvd by CEM:May18
VISA ISSUED...
IP: Aug16, DM: Aug19 Visa Issue Date: August 16, 2012 Visa rcvd: Aug24
LANDED..........
September 20, 2012, PR card received Nov 23,2012
Emily2301 said:
I have one question: My answer to the development of our relationship kind of turned into a relationship essay. So I won't need to write another essay, do I? Or should I have kept that answer shorter (even though it is all about the development and what you said about it earlier!) and included a separate essay to attach at the end?? Thank you for taking the time to answer!

PS: I have to confess that I was also stressed about paperclips and tabs...oh my. :-[
Thanks =) to answer your question, you could do your development of rel'p in a more fact-based, objective way, like give dates, major events that you consider milestones in your rel'p. then you can do your relationship essay in a more subjective way like talk about how you feel, how you fell in love, what made you think he's the one, focus on your compatibility as a couple, etc.. =)

Good luck to you!

P.S. don't worry, you could do a lot more reading to help you organize yours. some even put their forms in plastic sleeves ;D

Fencesitter

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 13, 2012
AOR Received.
AOR2 July 25, 2012
File Transfer...
July 13, 2012
Med's Done....
Mar 1, 2012
Interview........
WAIVED!
Passport Req..
Aug 28, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 24, 2012
LANDED..........
Jan 30, 2013
Plastic sleeves? I heard that paperclips were the way to go... :p

suki

Nov 26, 2010
Calgary Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-08-2011
AOR Received.
20-10-2011
Med's Done....
29-07-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
29-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
24-04-2012
LANDED..........
04-05-2012
Peli, it's a very impressive application you must have put a lot of time and effort into it! Wonderful Job on your part!
However I was told "Do not over kill"...all my communication was sent in 3-month gaps to prove it was Continuous, based on 3 years of being together. We were just granted our visa after a 8 month process and hubby lands next week! yay!!

I will be following closely to see how your application progresses, I wish you best of luck! Hopefully you will have your PPR soon! I too immigrated to Canada from Europe, so gathering all my landing papers and ensuring they were in order.

I always wondered which way to go small pkg or Big pkg, I choose small and condensed everything, even pictures I had 3 sheets 11x17-pictures made into collages (I love Walmart) so there was zero bulk...

I didnt write a essay about our relationship, however I did do a one page cover letter letter, of why we should be together, and what we can learn from one another! He also wrote a one page cover his version of why he loves me :)

The info on the pet relocation is fabulous! and your dog is soooooo adorable!

but again, congrats and thanks for sharing and you are so right this pkg is priceless!!

pelipeli

Champion Member
Sep 30, 2011
Calgary Alberta CND
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 25, 2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
Dec 19,2011
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
suki said:
Peli, it's a very impressive application you must have put a lot of time and effort into it! Wonderful Job on your part!
However I was told "Do not over kill"...all my communication was sent in 3-month gaps to prove it was Continuous, based on 3 years of being together. We were just granted our visa after a 8 month process and hubby lands next week! yay!!

I will be following closely to see how your application progresses, I wish you best of luck! Hopefully you will have your PPR soon! I too immigrated to Canada from Europe, so gathering all my landing papers and ensuring they were in order.

I always wondered which way to go small pkg or Big pkg, I choose small and condensed everything, even pictures I had 3 sheets 11x17-pictures made into collages (I love Walmart) so there was zero bulk...

I didnt write a essay about our relationship, however I did do a one page cover letter letter, of why we should be together, and what we can learn from one another! He also wrote a one page cover his version of why he loves me :)

The info on the pet relocation is fabulous! and your dog is soooooo adorable!

but again, congrats and thanks for sharing and you are so right this pkg is priceless!!
Thank you..=) apparently, all that organization did not make me immune to what is happening to CIC now, it's my 91st day and no sponsor approval yet! grrrrrr...
Thank you, its double the stress for me, my hubby's visa , and our dog's relocation too, haha

suki

Nov 26, 2010
Calgary Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-08-2011
AOR Received.
20-10-2011
Med's Done....
29-07-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
29-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
24-04-2012
LANDED..........
04-05-2012
Peli, you guys are in my prayers!! :D good things happening soon for you!

pelipeli

Champion Member
Sep 30, 2011
Calgary Alberta CND
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 25, 2012
AOR Received.
none
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
Dec 19,2011
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
suki said:
Peli, you guys are in my prayers!! :D good things happening soon for you!
Thank you so much.. I don't wanna expect, but now that some who submitted their papers after me are getting their approvals, I am really hoping for good news in the next few days.. =)

missmini

Champion Member
Oct 6, 2009
Visa Office......
Amman
App. Filed.......
01-2012
Doc's Request.
05-2012 (CSQ approved)
AOR Received.
07-2012
File Transfer...
04-2012
Med's Done....
11-2011 (extended until 11-2013)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
02-2013 (finalyyyyyy)
LANDED..........
07-2013 (DONE - thank u all :):):))
pelipeli said:
Thank you so much.. I don't wanna expect, but now that some who submitted their papers after me are getting their approvals, I am really hoping for good news in the next few days.. =)
u will get it honey don't worry ;) i feel bad a little that i got it before, but i'm sure overall u will b done before us, ur VO is so fast.... unfortunately noone is immune, there's a queue and everybody waits their turn....but u know it's so far from Ottawa to Edmonton for a snail mail ;) :p
for me it will b triple stress: visa, my own movement back and cat relocation....i'll follow ur progress ;)

missmini

Champion Member
Oct 6, 2009
Visa Office......
Amman
App. Filed.......
01-2012
Doc's Request.
05-2012 (CSQ approved)
AOR Received.
07-2012
File Transfer...
04-2012
Med's Done....
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
02-2013 (finalyyyyyy)
LANDED..........
Emily2301 said:
Great job, pelipeli!!! I love that you included pictures! I'm just in the process of assembling everything and your post was so helpful! So thank you for that. I was a little bit intimidated by the size of your application but it also motivated me to see what you have done. And I totally understand why you did it. I tried to find as much proof as possible as well since my name is not on any utility bill or the mortgage. I worried alot about how to proof that we are in a common-law relationship. This forum gave me great ideas. I have to say that for me personally it is also nice to hear that some people included less proof and were approved. It is just nice to know. But to each their own! It might depend on your home country, too. I also think that some of us just like to be thorough and detailed and some are more to the point and concise (which I admire because everything takes me so long!).

hi Emily....for us the development ended up also like an essay and we left it like that....but me (the sponsor) i made a timeline (table) with the important events on our relationship; just in case somebody will fall asleep reading a long essay s/he can look over that table directly and skip the essay...just make sure that somewhere (the essay, point based list, table) u will go through ur relationship evidence too (like this they will understand what u include where and why)....i think any way is good, as long as it makes u confortable and as clear and easier as possible for them :)

canadiangirl78

Champion Member
Mar 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 21
AOR Received.
Mississauga: May 10, Mexico: June 4
File Transfer...
May 16
Med's Done....
Dec 21, 2011
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
July 6
VISA ISSUED...
July 13
LANDED..........
August 2, 2012
pelipeli said:
You are next! Your file was just given to a slightly slower or more overworked officer. Any second now!

missmini

Champion Member
Oct 6, 2009
Visa Office......
Amman
App. Filed.......
01-2012
Doc's Request.
05-2012 (CSQ approved)
AOR Received.
07-2012
File Transfer...
04-2012
Med's Done....
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
02-2013 (finalyyyyyy)
LANDED..........
podkayne8 said:
I am still awaiting PR so I can't say for sure but I highlighted the pertinent calls on my phone bill. I think that makes sense to do. I included the front page with my address and such and then just the pertinent pages of the bill. My thinking was they want evidence, not pages of stuff they don't need. Since the phone bill isn't an official document I don't think it can be considered incomplete - it is just supporting evidence. :)
same here!! i thought if i don't highlight it will b harder for them to notice the important; and same, in some instances i skipped pages, i tried to live only the pertinent things....so yeah in the phone bills, bank statements, other non official documents i highlighted here and there (our names, dates, phone numbers for ex)....but u should not do that in the passport copies, id's, rental contracts, insurances and other official documents or documents u submit originals or notarized :)

missmini

Champion Member
Oct 6, 2009
Visa Office......
Amman
App. Filed.......
01-2012
Doc's Request.
05-2012 (CSQ approved)
AOR Received.
07-2012
File Transfer...
04-2012
Med's Done....
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
02-2013 (finalyyyyyy)
LANDED..........
canadiangirl78 said:
You are next! Your file was just given to a slightly slower or more overworked officer. Any second now!
maybe cuz they made special meeting around her file to take tips on how to organize their own work and office ;) LOL