+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How I organized our applcation and a summary of all helpful tips I have learned

ZebraJCH

Star Member
Jan 9, 2012
Unfortunately, my husband has severe issues with writing and thinking of what to write, so it would be impossible for him to write out anything that would be well received, so we have no choice other than to use an essay written by both of us working together rather than our own individual essays.

Is this alright?

Ms Malawi

Oct 20, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-11-2012
AOR Received.
18-12-2012
File Transfer...
07-01-2013
Med's Done....
30-08-2012
Interview........
02-05-2013
Passport Req..
10-05-2013
VISA ISSUED...
17-05-2013
LANDED..........
27-05-2013
ZebraJCH said:
Unfortunately, my husband has severe issues with writing and thinking of what to write, so it would be impossible for him to write out anything that would be well received, so we have no choice other than to use an essay written by both of us working together rather than our own individual essays.

Is this alright?
I took the approach of whatever your situation is and however you can make it work is the best decision. My husband didn't have reliable internet nor does he have a lot of interest in writing a 15 page essay about us in English. So we compromised. He wrote 3 pages from the heart with a little editing on the grammar from me, I typed all the forums and other pages as he dictated to me and then I wrote the more detailed overall part in my essay. I am better with writing about feelings, emotions and just writing than my partner. I have heard from others who did it similar and then those who did it all separately. As long as it works and describes your situation and proves your relationship I am sure it will be alright.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
ZebraJCH said:

Is this alright?
Every situation is different... for example in our app under common-law category, we never included any essay at all. We just stuck to the lines given in the IMM5490 application forms that ask how you met, how the relationship developed etc. The only essay type document given was a short letter from my (sponsor's) mom giving testimony and her feelings about our relationship.

So since an essay is not specifically required there is no right or wrong way to do it, and it doesn't matter if you write it individually or together. Just make it honest and from the heart and hopefully the VO will consider it as strong evidence towards your relationship.

ZebraJCH

Star Member
Jan 9, 2012
Would this work with In-land?

A lot of people are utilizing this with Out-land and the respective forms so I have to ask.

At first I was stressing out because of the forms mentioned lately are all different numbers than what I had but then I looked and they were Out-land forms, I was thinking maybe they replaced all of them and I had to do them all over again, haha.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
ZebraJCH said:
Would this work with In-land?

A lot of people are utilizing this with Out-land and the respective forms so I have to ask.

At first I was stressing out because of the forms mentioned lately are all different numbers than what I had but then I looked and they were Out-land forms, I was thinking maybe they replaced all of them and I had to do them all over again, haha.
Well in the outland application the "Questionnaire" form asking about relationship is IMM5490. For inland it's IMM5285. The outland one is longer and asks more questions... but in general they are doing the same thing, which is to see if the relationship is genuine. A typical outland application will probably have more proofs and evidence since it's a bit tougher to prove a long-distance relationship, but in general the proofs will be the same no matter which way you apply. If you feel a relationship essay will help your case, then it should be included no matter outland or inland.

ZebraJCH

Star Member
Jan 9, 2012
We're also including a ton of game screenshots with us obviously together (about 75 over the course of 2.5 years) in their own extremely organized section in Proof of Relationship (since that is how we met when I was in the United States and what we love to do together), a ton of game development and programming screenshots (since we are both game developers as a hobby, another thing we love to do together is collaborate on projects, these images of development and programming being their own section), as well as photos of us in real life, which sadly is probably going to be well below 50 since we don't really get 'picture crazy' with my cell phone other than to take photos of foods we cook together and silly stuff since we don't go outside too terribly often.

We're including a ton of stuff such as the receipt we got after buying our wedding cake, a Dairy Queen ice cream cake and also notes we took on where to stage our small wedding ceremony.

We're kind of 'unique' in this but I think we're pretty well established along with the essay. We're very tech and game oriented rather than physical, 'go here do this do that' so we have to be sure to back ourselves up with context.

Polgas

Champion Member
Jan 2, 2013
Two Six Double 0
Category........
Visa Office......
CEM
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
JAN. 27, 2013
Doc's Request.
JUL. 23, 2013
Nomination.....
CSQ: APR. 10, 2013
AOR Received.
FEB. 13, 2013
File Transfer...
FEB. 21, 2013
Med's Done....
JAN. 07, 2013
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
JUL. 23, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
JAN. 08, 2014
LANDED..........
JAN. 31, 2014
10 Thumbs up! :p :p :p :p

CanadaNow

Star Member
Jan 3, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Nairobi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-11-2012
AOR Received.
08-11-2012
File Transfer...
14-01-2013
Med's Request
28-08-2012
Med's Done....
06-12-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
31-01-2013
VISA ISSUED...
16-04-2013
LANDED..........
07-05-2013
what a fantastic post!!

Thanks

Yaak

Star Member
Aug 30, 2012
Salt Spring Island, BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
05-06-2014
Doc's Request.
26-08-2014
AOR Received.
SA 01-08-2014
Med's Done....
23-04-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
exempt
VISA ISSUED...
20-12-2014
LANDED..........
17-01-2015
CanadaNow said:
what a fantastic post!!

Thanks
Yes, indeed!

When initially faced with the application process, it all seems very daunting. This information has been very helpful.

Thank you, all!

Darrppy78

Star Member
Jan 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Nairobi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
5-11-2012
AOR Received.
8-11-2012
File Transfer...
14-01-13
Med's Done....
28-08-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
31-01-2013
VISA ISSUED...
16-04-2013
LANDED..........
07-05-2013
CanadaNow said:
what a fantastic post!!

Thanks

Was going to tag you on this one. Impressive, right?!? Remember that time we had the whole living room floor littered with documents and envelops, receipts and all kinds of tidbits? Feels good to know we are not the only ones who went through that. And yes, we do identify with the relief of finally having it off our hands!!!

I have a friend applying soon, this link will be very helpful.

Very very good work Pelipeli.

(you too hubby)

ZebraJCH

Star Member
Jan 9, 2012
Assuming that I put a copy of my passport pages, copy of my visitor visa, copy of my birth certificate, original police certificate, and copy of my proof of my medical examination in the APPLICANT envelope and the sponsor's documents in the sponsor's envelope, where do I put things such as a copy of our marriage certificate? In Proof of Relationship?

It's one of the critical documents so I don't want to put it in an 'eh-ish' place. I know I can theoretically put it wherever I want but I want to follow these instructions relatively closely as the creator of this thread had success with this.

Also, what about the marriage and trip photos? I don't want to enclose those in the Photos section as I want them to be very close to the forms requesting them.

Basically I am very confused about the officially requested documents placement.

nezya

May 16, 2010
ZebraJCH said:
Assuming that I put a copy of my passport pages, copy of my visitor visa, copy of my birth certificate, original police certificate, and copy of my proof of my medical examination in the APPLICANT envelope and the sponsor's documents in the sponsor's envelope, where do I put things such as a copy of our marriage certificate? In Proof of Relationship?

It's one of the critical documents so I don't want to put it in an 'eh-ish' place. I know I can theoretically put it wherever I want but I want to follow these instructions relatively closely as the creator of this thread had success with this.

Also, what about the marriage and trip photos? I don't want to enclose those in the Photos section as I want them to be very close to the forms requesting them.

Basically I am very confused about the officially requested documents placement.
You include your marriage certificate in the principal applicant's envelope.
The photos, you can put them in an envelope and label it Proof of Relationship A... that also includes, receipts of gifts, restaurants receipts, e-mails, cards, letters, bills with both your name on it etc.... in Proof of Relationship B... I put joint banks accounts, declaration letters from family or friends, rental contracts, insurance benefits and others... mine is so simple not too much papers, and my sponsor was approved...

canadiangirl78

Champion Member
Mar 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 21
AOR Received.
Mississauga: May 10, Mexico: June 4
File Transfer...
May 16
Med's Done....
Dec 21, 2011
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
July 6
VISA ISSUED...
July 13
LANDED..........
August 2, 2012
Don't worry. This app isn't the norm. Mine was simple and we got the visa fast.

blessedelaine

Dec 10, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
61312 mailed out
Doc's Request.
n/a
Nomination.....
61512 CPC-M received
AOR Received.
82112- thru email
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
012813-email/ Submitted all docs: 040213
VISA ISSUED...
042513 PDOS.......:042613
LANDED..........
I Salute you Pelipeli.. :) Good job Kabayan!

Mine was just 85% perhaps of the details you gave. I prefer it like this organized so that the VO won't have a hard time dealing with our application and will easily get convinced and the approval won't take long.. :) I would say, i can relate to all these, im not giving credit to myself here.. :p but I can feel you when i was reading your post and I began to reminisce as I gather and prepare all our papers before we submit ours last June 2012 as well.. :)

It is always fun to look back and share to others how we compiled, collected, prepared and submitted our application.. :)