+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

How dose IRB know if you visited your home country or used their passport?

Kaisa_18

Nov 26, 2018
AOR Received.
08-03-2019
I am curious to know how they would know? And specially how they can get the proof of it since the onus is on them to prove that the protected person/refugee had voluntarily reavailed themself of the protection of their country of nationality. Do people share this information while renewing PR cards, or disclosing it to CBSA when entering the country after that action? Or how? I can't imagine that all countries share the entry/exit information with Canada specially the travel document details (maybe name, dob only) so how would IRB know that this person used their national passport instead of RTD?

EDIT: This thread is not to share opinions on why to use national passport, please answer my specific question above if you know the answer. ***

Last edited:

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Why do they want to use their national passport? Do they want to continue to consider to be a citizen of the country they try to flee?

Ghess23

Apr 11, 2014
I am curious to know how they would know? And specially how they can get the proof of it since the onus is on them to prove that the protected person/refugee had voluntarily reavailed themself of the protection of their country of nationality. Do people share this information while renewing PR cards, or disclosing it to CBSA when entering the country after that action? Or how? I can't imagine that all countries share the entry/exit information with Canada specially the travel document details (maybe name, dob only) so how would IRB know that this person used their national passport instead of RTD?

EDIT: This thread is not to share opinions on why to use national passport, please answer my specific question above if you know the answer. ***
You have to disclose all your travels in the pr and citizenship application, so unless you are willing to perjure yourself in your applications and citizenship interview then they will know. That has very severe consequences, if they come to find that you lied on your application, they can overturn even you citizenship status, cause you would have gotten it fraudulently. I would NOT recommend this AT ALL. NOT RECOMMENDED.

Reactions: hba152

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

The obvious ones I know about are: airline manifests and immigration records shared with other countries.

Reactions: TIGER123

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Did you get a new passport from your home country or used your old one? CBSA can see that you are a protected person. They also question people if they visit neighbouring countries because it is known that people fly to neighbouring countries and go to a land border.

Kaisa_18

Nov 26, 2018
AOR Received.
08-03-2019
The obvious ones I know about are: airline manifests and immigration records shared with other countries.
I believe that only 5 countries can share immigration information between them, Canada included, under the "Information-SharingFive Country Conference (FCC)" agreement, are you aware of any other agreements?

Kaisa_18

Nov 26, 2018
AOR Received.
08-03-2019
Did you get a new passport from your home country or used your old one? CBSA can see that you are a protected person. They also question people if they visit neighbouring countries because it is known that people fly to neighbouring countries and go to a land border.
No I didnt nor I am planning to, it is a serious issue no question about that. I am just curious how IRB (in general) gets to know that someone had violated their refugee status conditions.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
The obvious answer would be arrival/departure stamps in the passport. Since you need to provide copies of current and previous passport stamp for renewals or citizenship, it would become pretty obvious. A new passport would also be a dead give away.
Some, I am sure is based on reasonable suspicion (travelling to a neighbouring country) for further investigation. And withholding relevant information is misrepresentation, and that has no statute limit.

Yuki.03

Nov 30, 2020
GTA
LANDED..........
07-01-2021
No I didnt nor I am planning to, it is a serious issue no question about that. I am just curious how IRB (in general) gets to know that someone had violated their refugee status conditions.
cbsa or ircc agents reports it to IRB. Then they fill to revoke protected person, pr and even citizenship.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/btb-pdf/eeair-esaerien-eng.html

Simple , the departure airline sends the Government the information

Reactions: Yuki.03

Toronto1971

Dec 23, 2021

1- Stupid people tells the truth
2- IRCC can see that from stamps on the passport
No other ways